AdamHJeep

Bottom trolling with Live eels on new regulations

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Question, heading out for the first eeling trip of the summer tomorrow.  I have a question on the new circle hook regulations...

It says...

1. Anglers must use non-offset circle hooks when live-lining or chumming.
  2. Anglers must use non-offset circle hooks or "J" hooks when using fish, crabs or worms as bait or when using processed baits while not live-lining or chumming (treble hooks are prohibited).

Is trolling a live eel with a weighted rig considered "live-lining"?  If so how? 

We have always used 2 J hooks rigged on a live eel (1 at the head and 1mid body) when trolling snd never gutted a fish let alone hooked any under 19 inches... 

Opinions?

To answer your question, Yes eel is considered a fish which will require "J" hook (even if you are trolling). I find it more effective to bounce eel off the floor and feel the tension. Rockfish do not commit to swallowing a whole eel in my experience. I do not use 2 hooks on eel but wait til the 2nd or 3rd hit. 

There is a lot of negligence when live-lining in my opinion. Many people set out too many live-lines and let the fish swallow the hooks. It's super counter-intuitive that there is no rod limit which allows people to just set out an unlimited number of rods which provides time for fish to swallow hooks. I find it quite difficult to manage 2 rods when fish are on so I do not see why DNR does not have a rod limit. 

I do not have a problem with boats trolling with multiple rods are the bait/lure is consistently moving (not giving time for fish to swallow anything)