turbo_baer

Heading up to Old Orchard Beach July 7.... what’s biting ?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Jim here Portsmouth.    Plenty of striper action.     Tons of fish.  Charter guys are booked but you might get lucky.   Out of the surf. On frozen herring or chunk Mac.    Topmwater plugs early 

If you politely approach a nice lifeguard you might be able to score a big day in the summer sun. 

Ask if they have an extra “torpedo” you can borrow, the red things they carry for lifesaving purposes. 

If they say yes, politely ask if you can use for fishing. You can then use it to float chunk bait far out from shore where the water is cooler. It will also keep people on the beach away because it will appear to be an official lifeguard exercise. 

Make sure to work the rig in such a way that the line can move freely. You will spook daytime stripers if they feel the resistance of the torpedo device when they hit the bait. I’d advise one loop through one of the handles and then use a standard rig from there. 

Goodluck and enjoy one of Maine’s most beautiful beaches !!!

2 hours ago, MichiMainah said:

Mousam still yet to write a serious post on the forum :) This one was clever, gotta admit!

It’s all worth it if I can make at least one person laugh :-)

2 hours ago, slayer20 said:

The Canadians be biting on those pier fries! Just gotta figure out the retrieve.

Hint ‘’’’

Match the speed of their torso. If it comes at you fast you set the hook. If it comes at you slow you let that circle hook do it’s work but make sure you have a backup plan. 

7 hours ago, Mousam said:

Hint ‘’’’

Match the speed of their torso. If it comes at you fast you set the hook. If it comes at you slow you let that circle hook do it’s work but make sure you have a backup plan. 

It also depends if you are onto a school or frenzy of full coverage or cheekless speedos

that can be tricky eh?

5 hours ago, jimbighead said:

It also depends if you are onto a school or frenzy of full coverage or cheekless speedos

that can be tricky eh?

I fish cheekless very similar to when bluefish are here hitting pogies. 

Dont get distracted by the excitement on the top. Target the creepers. That’s where the cows are eating all the leftovers. 

The bad news is that these pogy schools go all the way down to the north side of cape ann. Has slowed fishing down with so much feed in the water. However, put your time in and know what to look for and you can be rewarded. 

Best to fish at night up in OOB not just because of the better fishing potential but also because the Canadian dudes that are too cheap to buy a new sized mankini after putting on a few extra pounds. Those are the kinds of things no normal person should ever have to see. I’m sure even the stripers are disgusted. Why less stripers in Maine? Think about it. 

The seiners won't be far behind. The fact that there is little chasing the pogies says a lot abt the striper and particularly blues fishery in ME. Stocks are not what they were 5-10 yrs ago and ME, which was always at the north end of the range, is seeing the effects. They are spread thin and a lot more effort needed to find the pockets whr they are feeding.