FlyTyr203

Fly box: which one would you recommend?

31 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is there a fly box (brand, model and size, please) that you’d recommend? Looking for something that I can carry with me when wading; something that can carry Surf Candies, Deceivers, Clouser Deep Minnows... the usual. 

What about out those of you who also like to carry longer flies such as flat saddles?

Thank you,

John

For wading I like the  Finsport wallets in 3 by 6 and 4 by 8 inches.  They are overpriced but I bought several when Sierra trading had them for ~ half off.  They have some now but not in these sizes.

Salmon Fly Box- Holds Large Streamers and Flies by Kingfisher

great fly box for $9.99 on Amazon 

Price: $9.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Plan-D boxes are really nice.....a bit spendy but worth it in my opinion.

Are you going to put it in your waders front pocket? I like that standard 4 x 6 box you see in fly shops, can't remembere right now who makes. At the fly shop they one that's has more space between the each side, and one that's thinner. I have the thinner one, but I should have got the wider one--wider one would ahve been perfect. With flatwings, I don't know how long yours are, but the feathers can always stick out the end a bit. Magnets in the corners to keep the thing closed are the one I got. 

I use a Ziploc with 10 flies in it....  Or just a cheap plano waterproof box-  $7.00- fits in the wader pocket or vest pocket.  No need to carry 200 flies.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

I use a Ziploc with 10 flies in it....

+1, although sometimes I keep more than 10.

47 mins ago, JCH said:

+1, although sometimes I keep more than 10.

Me too, I just wanted seem minimalist...  Ziploc with a few flies, a spool of 20 lb fluoro, maybe a different MOW tip for changing conditions and some cigars and I'm good to go.

7 mins ago, titleguy said:

Me too, I just wanted seem minimalist...

The truth is, no matter how many I bring, I never have an extra of the one that's working and I just broke off.

I wear a sling pack and use the bugger beast jr. I like having my flies with me. Can carry all sizes and no issues with crowding.  

2 hours ago, JCH said:

The truth is, no matter how many I bring, I never have an extra of the one that's working and I just broke off.

Now that I am living much closer to my striper fishing, I am tying a lot more flies so I have three of each of what is working.  All sand pretty much and small fish- never lose a fly.

I really like using the Finsport wallets mentioned above and don't really feel at full retail that the price is that high. At least not when you compare to some other brands. But if you were looking for other ideas especially in a box the Morell Fly boxes are worth checking out. They are a lightweight foam with magnets to hold them closed. That is all I used to use before going to the Finsport. You can find the Morrell boxes at the Bears Den Fly Shop.

I like the idea of the Tacky fly boxes but the price is quite high. What really interested me was having a fly box that doesn't have foam because hypothetically it should last far longer since you aren't stabbing it with hooks all the time. But I have not tried one first hand. 

My current favorite is the C&F Design box that has rare earth magnets that hold the hook eye for vest pocket. I'll fill it with whatever I think I need for the day and go. If I'm far from the truck I'll throw a Plano in my backpack with more flies.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:10 AM, titleguy said:

I use a Ziploc with 10 flies in it....  Or just a cheap plano waterproof box-  $7.00- fits in the wader pocket or vest pocket.  No need to carry 200 flies.

Ziplock for the big flies, for the small flies, I use the free boxes you get at the fly shop. I am looking to buy a real fly box soon.