Wildcard777

Roberts Ranger - Action Question

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

They say this plug floats and can out cast most other lures.  Does it wobble on the surface with a straight retrieve or do you have to impart the action???

Thanks in advance

I don't use em much, but when I do, and what I've seen others do is a steady fast retrieve skipping across the surface...blues love em.

13 hours ago, Wildcard777 said:

They say this plug floats and can out cast most other lures.  Does it wobble on the surface with a straight retrieve or do you have to impart the action???

Thanks in advance

Doesn't float but easily planes to the top as mentioned.  Casts a mile/aerodynamic.  Wobbles on it's own.  Alternative is Line Stretcher Surface Tension lures: cast well, easier to plane than a Roberts, wobble action.  Both are good Bluefish lures, Bass not so much but I guess they work.

Very popular on Martha's Vineyard  ( not sure if they're still from Vineyard Haven). Use to remove the hook trying to beach a chasing blue. Did catch bass with them as well.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:32 PM, Wildcard777 said:

Thanks in advance

They are skipping across the surface all the time. I am using them for rooster fishing with straight fast retrieve using Daiwa emblem 5500 or Daiwa saltiest 6500H. The best lures for distance and the auction on the top water.

If the water is choppy then I usually just reel fast, because the chop will cause the lure to bounce, skip, and dance like crazy. If the water is calm or bass are around, I slow the retrieve and work it like a pencil popper. The Red/White 3oz  has worked for bass when squid are around. Best of all it has a single hook for easy releases.