Running Carbs Dry

Rate this topic

New to boating here.  Will be using my 4 stroke every couple weeks.  Want to know if it’s okay to run the carbs dry on low RPM to ensure my carb stays clean.  Is it okay to do that?  

I simply disconnect my fuel hose, and keep the engine on low RMP with my ear muffs and water attached.  

Agreed above.

Since it's a four stroke it's has a fuel pump. You will be working your pump dry also which isn't a good thing. Pumps aren't cheap either . It's cheaper to rebuild a carb then re place pump. If u do run dry make sure next time out you are priming the engine with gas before anything .aka primer build. Otherewise you are putting extra work on the pump which was not made to prime the engine like a car. Boat motors was design a little different. If you use the f pump to prime the gas you will Burn it up after a while and have a nice $600 plus part to repair.

Buy yourself a small 3 gallon outboard tank and separate fuel line, fill this tank with non ethanol fuel, I use VP SEF (small engine fuel), it’s pricey .. approx $15 gallon but it will last quite a while, as you’ll only use a few ounces at a time. Run this fuel as you flush your engine, or when you winterize/fog the outboard, ethanol issue solved and the fuel is already stabilized. I’ve used this method for years and have zero fuel related issues on any of my boats or lawn equipment (last tank of the season) non ethanol fuel.

I treat gas with anti-ethanol and gas preservative with each fill up and inject engine with carb treatment each fall before storage. I leave carbs filled. Have had no problems with spring start up. I now also replace water separator each spring.

As mentioned earlier, running the engine with ethanol free gas sounds like a good move.

The exception to this rule is the small outboard with built in tank. I have a 4 hp 4s Yamaha with the fuel shutoff on the front.  I learned the hard way and according  to the service department that replaced, not rebuilt the carb - it is imperative to shut off the gas supply and run it till it stalls out if you are not using it for more than a week.

4 hours ago, Chicaneries said:

Buy yourself a small 3 gallon outboard tank and separate fuel line, fill this tank with non ethanol fuel, I use VP SEF (small engine fuel), it’s pricey .. approx $15 gallon but it will last quite a while, as you’ll only use a few ounces at a time. Run this fuel as you flush your engine, or when you winterize/fog the outboard, ethanol issue solved and the fuel is already stabilized. I’ve used this method for years and have zero fuel related issues on any of my boats or lawn equipment (last tank of the season) non ethanol fuel.

How long can this non-ethanol fuel last?  Reason I’m asking is because normally, they say that you should use fresh gas every so often to keep the motor running well.  

E568EFF7-2CFA-4E12-ACD0-9926F51BC6C5.png

I was told 1 year after opening, 2 years closed factory can... I buy 2 gallons every year, dump them into a 3 gallon outboard tank, use that for all of my flushing of my outboards and to winterize, use the remainder in my lawn equipment as the last tank of the season, haven’t had a fuel related issue in the 7 years I’ve done this. $30 is expensive for 2 gallons of fuel, but one carb problem on a weed wacker will easily set you back double. Cheap insurance, in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 5:51 PM, FizzyFish said:

the real question here is, are they really dry after running till the engine stalls?  

If they have drain plugs, opening them, is a much better way to prevent fuel related issues. 

It's the only way to insure they are indeed empty. If it is EFI it is better to keep them wet with proper ethanol treatment.

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1995 Honda 4 stroke on my skiff and never ran it dry with the carbs but I was only on portable tanks no moisture I treated heavy with marine stabil never ever had a problem..

now I have fuel injected Yamaha four stroke still treat and never run a fuel injected motor out of fuel!

Edited by mkus