charger500

Driving EI to Avon via Ferries?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just booked a house for my first trip to Hatteras in October-- I'm way too excited for 4 months out...  Anyway, I may have someone joining us from Emerald Isle and I'm curious if you can drive down the coast from EI to Hatteras.  It looks like you can by taking the OI ferry and the 2 hour ferry over to Hatteras but for some reason google doesn't agree. 

The total time time looks to be about the same whether you drive inland and back down or by ferries.  ~2 hours drive + ~2.5 hours of ferries vs ~4.5 hrs driving.

Can any one comment on the best route to take?  I guess the ferry route would take longer just because there would be some waiting to board if the timing is bad but he could stop and fish along the way too.  Sure would be a more scenic route :)

Thanks, Paul

You have more than 2 and 1/2 hours of ferries since you would need to take Cedar Island to Ocracoke, drive up Ocracoke, and then take Ocracoke to Hatteras. Cedar Island to Ocracoke is 2.25 hours all on its own. Ocracoke to Hatteras is another 60 minutes. And that is just crossing time, not waiting in line and the time it takes for them to board and de-board the vehicles.

Schedules, fares and crossing times are here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/transit/ferry/ferryschedule.pdf

And then use Google Maps to determine your land driving times.

ahh, right, I missed one.  Thanks.

EI to Cedar Island  - 1.25hr drive
Cedar Island to Ocracoke Ferry - $15 - 2.25hr
25 min drive up to ferry at Hatteras Inlet 
OI to Hatteras Ferry (free - 1hr)
30 min drive to Avon

shew

Guess it's doable.. .Are the ferrys busy in Mid October?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its faster to drive 70 to 17 to 64 to 12S which can be done in just under 4 hrs depending on traffic.

unless you really want to spend 4hrs on two different ferry boats. Depending on when in oct and if you're Drum Fishing you might want to come north and fish. 

Edited by DaBig2na

On June 26, 2018 at 0:47 PM, charger500 said:

ahh, right, I missed one.  Thanks.

EI to Cedar Island  - 1.25hr drive
Cedar Island to Ocracoke Ferry - $15 - 2.25hr
25 min drive up to ferry at Hatteras Inlet 
OI to Hatteras Ferry (free - 1hr)
30 min drive to Avon

shew

Guess it's doable.. .Are the ferrys busy in Mid October?

Yes, the ferries are busy. The cat has been out of the bag about how nice it is down there in late September and October. So, the place is packed nowadays. We are going down the first week in October which is our usual week. We stay in Summerplace and get a different place each year. We spent Thankgiving week there last year too, in addition to our October trip, and that week was packed. Very popular now, good for economy there.

17 north to 171 right, stay on 171 until you hit 64 in Jamesville right on 64 then straight in to whalebone,  rt 12 to Avon 5 51/2 depending if the alligator river bridge is working...

"Driving around" won't be any shorter than the ferries, but the ferries would be a lot easier.  I'd get a reservation for the Cedar Island ferry, enjoy a nap or good book.  Don't ignore the Hatteras Inlet ferry ride.  Like someone else posted, it's close to an hour long even though it's a very short trip in distance.