gradywhite3535

Can braid have line twist

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I switch my old braid with new with a mono backer, I noticed I have a lot of line twist. Can I just lay out all the line on boat and retrieve it all back?will that work? What’s the easiest way to spool bbraid wothout getting line twist

Take the spool to your local shop and ask if they will remove and put it back on.  Most will.  If you try to remove it even the neatest layout of braid can knot up and cause you a headache and line lost.  If you insist on doing it yourself find an empty spool to put the line back on to.  But a heads up, it needs to be put back onto the spool packed tight.  Something easily done at the shop. 

Sure it can.  And combing twist out, by dragging it behind a boat or otherwise, is a pain in the arse. That same lack of memory that makes twist slow to appear makes it very, very difficult to judge if you've really gotten the twist out or not (and usually you haven't.) 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Sure it can.  And combing twist out, by dragging it behind a boat or otherwise, is a pain in the arse. That same lack of memory that makes twist slow to appear makes it very, very difficult to judge if you've really gotten the twist out or not (and usually you haven't.) 

That only work for mono or fluoro, dragging does not work for braid. You can drag it all day and night, it won't make much of a difference.  Try squeezing the line under a stack of books or magazines and reel in under high tension. 

Spooling tight is very important. I take a paper towel fold it up and pinch the line tight and spool.

I don't like wrapping braid back on a spool because you are twisting it every turn. I take a box top cut couple notch's and wrap line on.

Write size on cardboard.

Some braids will collapse into itself making it look like line twist I continue to use it with no issues.    

It's easy to get twist out of mono dragging it behind a boat as mono has built in memory.  Braid is more difficult to fix by dragging.  A simple way to get line twist out is to get a 5" strip of metal, hold each end with pliers and put a twist in the middle.  Then drill a hole at each end.  Tie one end to your line and drag it behind a boat or cast it out and see if it revolves in the opposite direction of your "line twist."  If it is adding more line twist, tie the line to the other end.  Several casts with this and the line should be much less twisted.  

yes can get twisted bad....ive seen it untwist 4 strand braid before to the point where i thought when i was tying my knots i was seeing things....i just stripped line off and redid it ....if you are taking off of a new spool laying flat on ground...i herd line should come off counterclockwise and you need to add tension with a rag or papertowel....i have a simple line spooler i bought for 15 dollars that just adds tension...im sure it gets a little line twist with it...but its manageable and never noticed that it affects me but i make it super tight to spool 

Edited by GreenMachine

Any line is going to twist on any spinning reel.

Its spinning....unravel anything that is around a spool and it will twist. Line, paper towels, toilet paper. It's just the physics of a spool.

To minimize it you can use a swivel on the terminal end, but it only minimizes it. It won't get rid of it entirely. 

I occasionally attach a ball bearing swivel to the end of the line with the reel mounted to the rod and rig the end to my car door. Walk off the line and put it back under tension  with the rod. Best done in the back of a beach parking lot at day break for obvious reasons!

Marc

On 6/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, hobobob said:

That only work for mono or fluoro, dragging does not work for braid. You can drag it all day and night, it won't make much of a difference.  Try squeezing the line under a stack of books or magazines and reel in under high tension. 

I think you'd have to do that multiple times, starting with the last dozen yards and then doing it repeatedly over longer lengths. If you've been trolling and have a lot of line out, you'll go nuts.

For trolling, you really need a keeled trolling sinker between running line and leader. That's the only thing I've seen that appears to work worth a damn.