John P

current fishing reports?

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Years ago Maine tried a slot, think it was 1 @22-26 and 1 @40+.   I thought it was sensible at the time but maybe it didn’t work as I thought because they went back to 28+

Do you know if that was studied or they just junked it because charters?

It isn't a slot the way NJ has it - you can keep 2 striped bass per day in NJ as long as only one of them over 43". In other words, you can keep 2 @ 28" to 42.99" - if you have one over 43" in your possession you can't keep another one over 43"...you know, because that happens as often as catching 2 just over 28" for your average "I'm gonna keep everything I legally can" fisherman :rolleyes:

The logic behind these regulations - I **** you not - is to make SURE NJ is getting it's fair share of striped bass...the folks who are paid by businesses to 'represent' recreational anglers considers regulations as boundaries that should be pushed and stretched until the bass killing is maximized. The only research done was throwing different 'conservation equivalency' scenarios at the ASMFC striped bass technically committee util they found one that wasn't rejected.  So while most states have 1 @ 28" per day, you can keep 2 per day in NJ, three with the 'bonus tag'. That's why, year after year, more striped bass die in NJ than any other state, even including the commercial landings for those other state. It's tragic and stupid :th:

TimS

19 mins ago, Viceversa10 said:

not bad at all, wish i found where you were! We were anywhere between 10 and 50ft of water

30 feet of water and on a reef.....

39 mins ago, TimS said:

It isn't a slot the way NJ has it - you can keep 2 striped bass per day in NJ as long as only one of them over 43". In other words, you can keep 2 @ 28" to 42.99" - if you have one over 43" in your possession you can't keep another one over 43"...you know, because that happens as often as catching 2 just over 28" for your average "I'm gonna keep everything I legally can" fisherman :rolleyes:

The logic behind these regulations - I **** you not - is to make SURE NJ is getting it's fair share of striped bass...the folks who are paid by businesses to 'represent' recreational anglers considers regulations as boundaries that should be pushed and stretched until the bass killing is maximized. The only research done was throwing different 'conservation equivalency' scenarios at the ASMFC striped bass technically committee util they found one that wasn't rejected.  So while most states have 1 @ 28" per day, you can keep 2 per day in NJ, three with the 'bonus tag'. That's why, year after year, more striped bass die in NJ than any other state, even including the commercial landings for those other state. It's tragic and stupid :th:

TimS

I haven’t spent much time targeting stripers in 10 years.  Sad that we don’t have the class years of the decade or so before.   

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I haven’t spent much time targeting stripers in 10 years.  Sad that we don’t have the class years of the decade or so before.   

They all went home in people’s coolers...

Today surfcasting low tide (2:00) in 4-8 ft water at the mouth of a river in CT. Ones mine the other my girlfriends. Both on poppers. Tasty keepers.

20180709_172910.jpg

20180709_173012.jpg

15 hours ago, TimS said:

TimS

Your state grabs striper allocation like they're highway funds.

How your plan passed equivalency muster at ASMFC is beyond me. 

18 hours ago, JimW said:

Years ago Maine tried a slot, think it was 1 @22-26 and 1 @40+.   I thought it was sensible at the time but maybe it didn’t work as I thought because they went back to 28+

Do you know if that was studied or they just junked it because charters?

Maine was one fish between 20 and 26” OR one over 40”. Most striper guys up there release their fish. Not many cows venture that far north. I fish there every year. Lotta schoolers but only if you are in the right spot. 

44 mins ago, fishoninct said:

Maine was one fish between 20 and 26” OR one over 40”. Most striper guys up there release their fish. Not many cows venture that far north. I fish there every year. Lotta schoolers but only if you are in the right spot. 

Wasn’t sure if remembered it correctly.   Thanks. No idea if it worked but think they wanted to protect what breeders may have returned to Kennebec. 

21 mins ago, JimW said:

Wasn’t sure if remembered it correctly.   Thanks. No idea if it worked but think they wanted to protect what breeders may have returned to Kennebec. 

Don’t think they spawn up there as they show up pretty late for that. I think they really just go up there to eat some lobsters. Lol

Went back yesterday to super special secret spot. Seems like a keeper size group is there hunting small porgies daily. Caught 5, kept one. As I reeled this one in I looked into the water and there were other bass at my feet in 4ft of water wondering what was going on. Fun seeing big swirls of water a few feet from where you're standing! Weird though, as soon as the tide was coming in the bite turned off like a switch they swam off only to return tomorrow. Lifetime expirence as a surfcaster in CT.

20180710_175246.jpg

Sea robin mania yesterday drifting for fluke at the mouth of a big river in the center of ct, west of new haven. Only 3 fluke.  First time I saw thick and large bunker schools.  Drifted a live one under a balloon for a while but no bites on that. Nothing chasing bunker either. 

On 7/11/2018 at 7:16 AM, SlackTideBri said:

Went back yesterday to super special secret spot. Seems like a keeper size group is there hunting small porgies daily. Caught 5, kept one. As I reeled this one in I looked into the water and there were other bass at my feet in 4ft of water wondering what was going on. Fun seeing big swirls of water a few feet from where you're standing! Weird though, as soon as the tide was coming in the bite turned off like a switch they swam off only to return tomorrow. Lifetime expirence as a surfcaster in CT.

20180710_175246.jpg

Stripers are creatures of habit and can be very predictable based on tide flow. Same spots produce day after day under similar tidal conditions. That’s why we need to release as many as possible. 

Agreed but I like them with a good crabmeat stuffing on a bed of basmati rice though. 

As for CT, been having luck with any white or bone white lure in the bag that looks like a small porgy. It's Connecticut so they can be a fish of few casts or 50 from shore. 

2 hours ago, SlackTideBri said:

Agreed but I like them with a good crabmeat stuffing on a bed of basmati rice though. 

As for CT, been having luck with any white or bone white lure in the bag that looks like a small porgy. It's Connecticut so they can be a fish of few casts or 50 from shore. 

I got my stripers the other night on a famous porgy spot......They took the clams.