John P

current fishing reports?

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Sound seems to have plenty of porgies and blackfish . Also sea bass on almost every drop....

That’s funny - in NJ porgy, blackfish and seabass seasons are all closed :)

TimS

What's an "enhanced opportunity shore fishing site"? I didn't think there were any shore fishing sites in CT? :shaky:

11 hours ago, bdowning said:

What's an "enhanced opportunity shore fishing site"? I didn't think there were any shore fishing sites in CT? :shaky:

Maybe they mean anywhere you can find to legally fish from shore? ;)

My first thought after reading those regs is that the CT fishery management process hasn’t yet been taken over and corrupted by any political groups/orgs thst take a ton of money from businesses while suggesting they are looking out for CT rec anglers. It’s refreshing - and rare - to see :th:

TimS

My go to spot is an enhanced opportunity site. A 17" fluke is a legal catch instead of 19". Not too many fisherman hit up these sites and just go to the major parks and beaches.

12 hours ago, TimS said:

Maybe they mean anywhere you can find to legally fish from shore? ;)

My first thought after reading those regs is that the CT fishery management process hasn’t yet been taken over and corrupted by any political groups/orgs thst take a ton of money from businesses while suggesting they are looking out for CT rec anglers. It’s refreshing - and rare - to see :th:

TimS

The list of shore spots with the special regs is pretty large and a lot in urban areas.   No places I ever recall fishing.  CT also have a bonus striper program that let’s you get a tag to take one schoolie per year.  

Did NJ put special reg in place to shut down scup and sea bass?   Is there a story?   I thought scup was open year round and NJ was keeping all the sea bass because they could be taken a couple inches smaller than Ct/Ny/Ri

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Did NJ put special reg in place to shut down scup and sea bass?   Is there a story?   I thought scup was open year round and NJ was keeping all the sea bass because they could be taken a couple inches smaller than Ct/Ny/Ri

Our seabass season(s) are a joke - we can keep little fish at 12 1/2" - but only 5 or 6 and only for short periods of times between closures. It's absurd...but it helps party boats.  Striped bass regulations are moronic - you can keep up to three each day (with a 'bonus' tag) - THREE. You can keep TWO each day without any tag, on between 28"-43" and one over 43". Which is incredibly stupid - it allows folks to kill two big bass...not two little, easily replaceable smaller fish...two big breeders. And anyone that doesn't think a fish approaching 38"-43" isn't a big breeder these days is kidding themselves. And this regulation helps the party boats. Fluke regs? Designed to help the party boats. Tog? Same thing. There isn't a single regulation on the books in NJ that is designed to help the fish, not a single one that doesn't maximize the harvest to squeeze every possible dead fish out of the system.

If NJ tried to enact a simple reg, like CT's 1 @ 28" for striped bass - the **** would hit the fan, the aforementioned type groups that take money from businesses to 'represent' recreational anglers would go absolutely ape ****. Actually, it would never get that far - the boards that make the decisions in NJ are controlled by representatives of those type of groups AND the businesses that pay those groups to represent them. It's absurd and disgusting. NJ's regs are super complicated because that's how you squeeze every dead fish you can out of the ocean - and that's what happens when you let businesses and the political groups they PAY to represent them control the decision making councils and boards :read:

TimS 

NJ's striper regs are particularly assinine. :dismay: Compared to that, Mass, RI, and CT seem pretty reasonable.

27 mins ago, bdowning said:

NJ's striper regs are particularly assinine. :dismay: Compared to that, Mass, RI, and CT seem pretty reasonable.

Yup...even with commercial striped bass seasons none of those three states don't kill as many bass as NJ. Pretty sure most years COMBINED they don't kill as many as NJ...it's absurd. Apparently, the worst thing you can do for the fish is have politically connected folk paid by businesses to 'represent' rec anglers..who knew? :freak:

TimS

Was out yesterday and first drifted fluked then anchored to a popular reef with clam down on a high low rig.

I got every possible species known in LIS with the exception of weakies and Albies (Porgies, fluke, sea bass, blackfish, stripers,), even pulled up a striper and a seabass on one rig........

Pulled a few stripers up as well.

Fishing is hot right now...

21 mins ago, TimS said:

Yup...even with commercial striped bass seasons none of those three states don't kill as many bass as NJ. Pretty sure most years COMBINED they don't kill as many as NJ...it's absurd. Apparently, the worst thing you can do for the fish is have politically connected folk paid by businesses to 'represent' rec anglers..who knew? :freak:

TimS

Years ago Maine tried a slot, think it was 1 @22-26 and 1 @40+.   I thought it was sensible at the time but maybe it didn’t work as I thought because they went back to 28+

Do you know if that was studied or they just junked it because charters?

59 mins ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Was out yesterday and first drifted fluked then anchored to a popular reef with clam down on a high low rig.

I got every possible species known in LIS with the exception of weakies and Albies (Porgies, fluke, sea bass, blackfish, stripers,), even pulled up a striper and a seabass on one rig........

Pulled a few stripers up as well.

Fishing is hot right now...

My boss took me out yesterday. 2 stripers in about 20 minutes then nothing., 10 porgies after running around for an hour trying to find some and those 10 took prolly 2 hours. 1 short fluke 2 short sea bass and a bunch of robins (4lb robin entered into the contest:rav:) was out from 4am to about 3pm. Fishing wasnt that good from new haven to norwalk for me...

16 mins ago, Viceversa10 said:

My boss took me out yesterday. 2 stripers in about 20 minutes then nothing., 10 porgies after running around for an hour trying to find some and those 10 took prolly 2 hours. 1 short fluke 2 short sea bass and a bunch of robins (4lb robin entered into the contest:rav:) was out from 4am to about 3pm. Fishing wasnt that good from new haven to norwalk for me...

I was only out about 3 hours so pretty good for such a short period of time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, dleopoldi914 said:

I was only out about 3 hours so pretty good for such a short period of time.

not bad at all, wish i found where you were! We were anywhere between 10 and 50ft of water

Edited by Viceversa10