John P

current fishing reports?

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2018 at 2:31 PM, NedRyerson said:

You guys must like seeing NY plates 

Happy Holidays, Ned! (I think it was 2 winters ago) some out-of-staters (I hope to god they were OOS'ers) came to that ever popular place on that popular river, and 1 was outfitted with a GoPro on a helmet, a 10ft surf rod, and a 2oz bucktail. They came to make a YouTube video, a how-to of sorts, on winter river fishing. Well, the dude slung the lead, and dragged it across the cove infested with micros...and sure as ish, snagged himself a micro. Due to the difficulty of retrieving a side-snagged fish, he proclaimed to his partner "I've got a big one! Get your camera ready!" Yeah, he pumped his rod, and made quick work, getting that 18" fish to the river bank. I've never seen this particular hero-vid or posed photos, but I suppose they're on the interweb somewhere?

Anyhow, I might go over to that popular NY-plate infested spot 1 or 2x this winter, it s kind of fun, and I think it is good training to refine technique that will also work in other holdover rivers.

BTW, I don't like seeing any plates at the majority of my spots. I often kayak, wade, and even trespass to get to them.But, hey, if a spot's good, I might go even if it's not secret. Personally, if I lived a 100 miles away, I'd learn to target smb, salmon, or trout instead.

22 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

Happy Holidays, Ned! (I think it was 2 winters ago) some out-of-staters (I hope to god they were OOS'ers) came to that ever popular place on that popular river, and 1 was outfitted with a GoPro on a helmet, a 10ft surf rod, and a 2oz bucktail. They came to make a YouTube video, a how-to of sorts, on winter river fishing. Well, the dude slung the lead, and dragged it across the cove infested with micros...and sure as ish, snagged himself a micro. Due to the difficulty of retrieving a side-snagged fish, he proclaimed to his partner "I've got a big one! Get your camera ready!" Yeah, he pumped his rod, and made quick work, getting that 18" fish to the river bank. I've never seen this particular hero-vid or posed photos, but I suppose they're on the interweb somewhere?

Anyhow, I might go over to that popular NY-plate infested spot 1 or 2x this winter, it s kind of fun, and I think it is good training to refine technique that will also work in other holdover rivers.

BTW, I don't like seeing any plates at the majority of my spots. I often kayak, wade, and even trespass to get to them.But, hey, if a spot's good, I might go even if it's not secret. Personally, if I lived a 100 miles away, I'd learn to target smb, salmon, or trout instead.

Thats how 90% of my spots are to be honest...