John P

current fishing reports?

265 posts in this topic

As an optimist, I’d rather read the DEEP say that squid are moving into LIS than not. That report was enough to get me out a few extra times - though truly, the only bait I saw at all was a “school” of six little bitty minnows swimming around my legs early one morning. 

I’d be so pleased to hear reports of (or better yet - see) snappers because then at least I’d know that they’d found something to eat. It’s so dead I told my wife I’d rather hang around the house this weekend. That’s sad. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:18 AM, bdowning said:

Very limited shore access + mediocre fishing = no reports

Mediocre?  You are being kind ... worst June for our group that any of us remembers.

fishing for bass and bloofish is so bad that I've basically given up.   too many trips with NO FISH to show for it.  there are scattered pods of bunker in mid-Sound, but no fish on them.   sporadic small groups of bass pass through the eastern Sound from time to time as well.... but they are here one day,  gone the next.  

soooo-  yeah.  fishing sucks around here.  most of New England for that matter...  some friggin fantastic management practices goin' on right there.

Skunk today. Didn’t try too hard but not even a sea robin !!! They must know my boat and not want any haha. 

Havent been seeing the the fish like normal. Few jumpers near shore but nothing on plugs.

Fluke have been kind to me tho. Got a nice 27” the other day.  Threw her back for someone else to catch. Also caught a 18” robin !

Summer needs to hurry and bring the fish !

I fish the center shore line of our great state. Haha I’ve seen schools of adult bunker for weeks now from shore. Well within casting distance of any plug, but nothing on them. On the other hand my brother in law who is a bait man. He has been killing good size bass the hole fning month. He sends pics every time he goes out. So fish are here but they seem to be on bunker chunk. I don’t bait fish anymore but I’m a bit green with envy at his production thus far. 

Did some bottom fishing in eastern LI sound yesterday and caught a lot of variety, but no size or numbers.  We fished mostly deeper water but also some shallow water.  Ranges mostly 30-90 feet.  All the boats we saw were in deep water.  Didn't see a lot of catching but we spent most of our time trying to find humps and stuff.  We caught a fluke, some scup, few sea robins, a large snapper blue and some black sea bass. 

On 6/27/2018 at 1:41 PM, stroipaHuntah said:

there was a big wave of them first weekend in June west of you in norwalk area.  Then we've seen snapper sized blues recently.  weird.  

They were finning before Memorial day, a good push of them the beginning of June.  I did not partake in those two events but was catching 2 pound blues while fluke fishing last weekend.

I also heard the bait guys seem to have ok action, I have had a terrible start,but I'm still hoping there are groups of fish south that  are on the way.  Keep your fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, John P said:

I also heard the bait guys seem to have ok action, I have had a terrible start,but I'm still hoping there are groups of fish south that  are on the way.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Yea guys chunking in the 50-80 foot range have done well, as have I.  Doesn't change the fact that there is a huge gap between the 20" fish 'near shore' and the cows out deep.  Have not come across any fish in the 28"-36" range, which is very concerning.

Posted (edited)

there used to be "an art" to striped bass fishing-  guys would turn their own plugs on a lathe, spend hours looking at tide charts in conjunction with moon cycles, tie up teaser flys and bucktails in the winter months-   all in preparation for fishing for bass

now-  sporadic bodies of fish seem to show up periodically along the Coast, only to be pounced upon by report-chasing fishermen desperate to get on a bite  (I'm guilty of that myself from time to time...)  it could be SouthWest Ledge, the Canal, or the the South Shore-   word gets out of a hot bite and the race is on to see who can get there first

THE QUALITY of the fishing is gone-    theres no time and effort needed to be successful anymore.  favorite plugs (or jigs) are now replaced by chunks or eels and how much lead do you need to get down to the fish. 

the allure of being a striped bass guy has been lost.... and proposed regulation changes make it seem like it'll never be back in my lifetime

Edited by bobber

54 mins ago, bobber said:

the allure of being a striped bass guy has been lost.... and proposed regulation changes make it seem like it'll never be back in my lifetime

Very, very sadly, I know exactly of what you speak...I've been there for a few years now. Fishing isn't fishing any more...there aren't bass spread out in all the nooks and crannies where they've been since the mid 1980's when they started to come back. Instead of being spread out everywhere they are no where - they move through in small groups, they don't stay. They don't need to stay with bait, there is so much more bait than fish that the bait is everywhere.

And fisheries management being run by politicians and paid 'advocacy' groups that make a living telling the biologists and scientists how wrong they are when they scream for conservation leaves me feeling exactly the way you do - you and I have seen the best striped bass fishing we will see in our lifetimes. The folks that missed the 80s, 90s and early 2000s will never know what a healthy striped bass population looks like. They'll continue to be thrilled when they catch two bass in the SAME night...and they'll never believe that we used to catch more bass on a good night than they'll catch in two entire seasons. And I'll be honest, it makes me very sad....

TimS

Tim and Bobber thank you for your depressing thoughts on the bass fishery. I thought I was just in a slump or just darn right stink at fishing. Well maybe I am a bad at it but you guys hit the nail on the head. I personally think for me it’s just luck when I get a nice fish, even blues seem to disappearing of the radar in years past. Sad to think about it, I’m gonna go have a beer thanks all. 

I also have been preaching about the coming problem with over fishing for 3 or 4 yrs and no one would listen.  C/R was laughed at,now the chickens have come home to roost,sad,since I had to endure the last moratorium for over 10 yrs.  I won't see the next boom,if there is one.  Sad also for the young fisherman who will get discouraged and drop out.  It's too late now to do anything that will bring back the bass stocks quickly.

At least during the last down cycle for stripers and moratorium, there were plenty of catchable alternatives to make up for it like blues and groundfish like cod. Now, I'm not so sure. With rare exceptions, this is a problem across all fisheries, not just bass.