John P

current fishing reports?

Rate this topic

332 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Viceversa10 said:

Nice! any specific depth you targeted them at?

6 to 15 feet. Rocks rocks rocks. Had to be on the spot  as guys near us didn’t do as well. 

Edited by fishoninct

Fished with the wife Sunday.
Was 39 degrees at the boat when we got there at 630.
Cold ride out.
Found small pods of scattered Albies from Quonny to PtJude.
Tried getting the wife into a few but she lost both of the ones she had on. I boated a couple when I wasn't playing captain.
She caught a lot of schoolie bass.
They were everywhere. Lots of bass on the beach in RI
Very few blues.
She had a good time.
Wind really picked up in the afternoon so we headed in back to New London.
Ran into a sub on the way in.

Got back to dock and buddy had 6 blackfish from 6-8 pds in 27 ft of water.

20181014_084239.jpg

20181014_080821.jpg

20181014_131017.jpg

20181014_142224.jpg

Was out yesterday, Porgy action is still amazing. Got alot of short blackfish (thanks for the tips  @fishoninct). Saw some albies busting from milford to new haven. Overall a pretty decent day.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, joev said:

Fished with the wife Sunday.
Was 39 degrees at the boat when we got there at 630.
Cold ride out.
Found small pods of scattered Albies from Quonny to PtJude.
Tried getting the wife into a few but she lost both of the ones she had on. I boated a couple when I wasn't playing captain.
She caught a lot of schoolie bass.
They were everywhere. Lots of bass on the beach in RI
Very few blues.
She had a good time.
Wind really picked up in the afternoon so we headed in back to New London.
Ran into a sub on the way in.

Got back to dock and buddy had 6 blackfish from 6-8 pds in 27 ft of water.

20181014_084239.jpg

20181014_080821.jpg

20181014_131017.jpg

20181014_142224.jpg

Great pics! I'm mostly a shore guy, but have been on the water out of New London 4x in the last year. Man! That is a beautiful area.

So is bass fishing slowing for anyone else, was out at dawn this past weekend both days with just some schoolies to show for it. Lots of overtime has kept me off the water which definitely doesn’t help. But at least now we have toggin to keep us busy.

E3207986-E3DA-437A-9CD2-D18B6889C514.jpeg

Last weekend, still catching albies in FFLD county area.  Herds of boats, no one catching in those herds.  Went away from the herd, started catching.  Fish were all around but it came down to being patient and waiting for your shot.  Tried for tog in my usual spots.  One spot the top of the rock pile is about 14 ft: produced 3 barely keepers to 17.5 inches.  Next spot, ton of shorts and ton of getting stripped.  Moved again, mistake.  Don't leave fish to find fish.  Buddies stayed in one spot the whole day about 15 ft, nailed an 8 and 9 lber. 

30 mins ago, stroipaHuntah said:

Last weekend, still catching albies in FFLD county area.  Herds of boats, no one catching in those herds.  Went away from the herd, started catching.  Fish were all around but it came down to being patient and waiting for your shot.  Tried for tog in my usual spots.  One spot the top of the rock pile is about 14 ft: produced 3 barely keepers to 17.5 inches.  Next spot, ton of shorts and ton of getting stripped.  Moved again, mistake.  Don't leave fish to find fish.  Buddies stayed in one spot the whole day about 15 ft, nailed an 8 and 9 lber. 

That is a good point, I found some good fish, but I had to be patient and grind it out, seemed like a few nice ones would come around in packs every hour or so.

Found schoolies blitzing peanuts this past Saturday morning in the FF county area.  Fun on the fly rod, but no albies sighted that morning.  

New haven area had nothing to offer pre dawn this am. No birds working, saw very few small bait around out of three places I went. 

Same for me, and the other 3 guys I started out with. Tried 2 outfrontish spots and skunked. Eventually, 2 of us found a vacant upriver spot, and got into 18 -26" fish. Saw no bait other than silversides and a few mummichugs

3 hours ago, Mark L said:

New haven area had nothing to offer pre dawn this am. No birds working, saw very few small bait around out of three places I went. 

went out Friday from 1 to sun down and was very rough. Was blackfishing . Got about 30 shorts and 1 keeper. Back at my marina which is loaded with peanuts and snappers constantly as the sun went down I heard violent splashes. Went back last night and same thing. Managed 2 bass about 20 inches and a nice 5lb blue. Will go back again tonight. Bass and blues are in the harbor assaulting peanuts. 

Kastmater Er was the way to go as it matches the hatch

Lots of blitzing fish this AM very tight to shore. Most were chunky schoolies and small blues but we did pull out a couple 30" bass. All fish caught on small spooks and smack it Jr poppers.