geekWhoFishes

Upcoming trip to Iceland

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2018 at 8:38 PM, nesportsman said:

I'm leaving in a week to head there and after reading some of the horror stories about the disinfecting stuff and prices, I decided to skip on fishing there this time around. From what I was reading even with the disinfecting certificate from a vet, many times they still require someone to meet you at the airport to do it again - which can take 4-6 hours. I'm traveling with a 5 month old and a 2.5 year old and there's no way that would work. 

I would be interested to hear how your trip goes as it'll help make my decision for next time. 

Might as well but new stuff there. I'm kidding but I wonder how far off I might be

On 6/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, geekWhoFishes said:

I am heading to iceland in a few weeks and will have some time to fish some for both trout and arctic char. I am bringing 5wt and 7wt 9 foot setups with floating line and a separate spool with sinking line for the 7wt. I have one guided trip scheduled to fish River Holaa and then plan to use the fishing card that provides access to a bunch of lakes and also to fish a couple other self-guided beats. Should be quite an adventure.

I have done a bunch of research, but would love any suggestions. Some aspects that I want to better understand are what size leaders/tippets to use, fly patterns that I can tie in advance or info on insects, places to try to explore in the western and northern parts of Iceland, and how to approach fishing the lakes. I also would love to find a vet that can handle disinfection in the Boston area before we leave. Any info would be appreciated.

No experience there at all but I just have to say that I'm jealous. Arctic char are on the bucket list. I almost went last year but went to Alaska instead. Can't say I was disappointed because I love Alaska but I hope I get to Iceland at some point. Good luck

Here and have been asking around to the locals. Essentially Salmon fishing is super expensive and has to be booked a long time in advance (they suggested a year in advance). Trout fishing is more affordable but also required in advance and all of the rivers are privately owned, so you have to find who owns that section of the river so you can go fishing with them. Locals have essentially been pushed out from fishing by tourists...

Practically no saltwater fishing other than commercial. Have haddock, cod, pollock, iceland catfish, etc and you may be able to find someone to bring you out but not very well developed. Not many people even own boats, even on the islands.

Too bad, the country is absolutely beautiful and it would be an amazing backdrop to fly fish against.

On 07/07/2018 at 1:39 PM, nesportsman said:

Here and have been asking around to the locals. Essentially Salmon fishing is super expensive and has to be booked a long time in advance (they suggested a year in advance). Trout fishing is more affordable but also required in advance and all of the rivers are privately owned, so you have to find who owns that section of the river so you can go fishing with them. Locals have essentially been pushed out from fishing by tourists...

Practically no saltwater fishing other than commercial. Have haddock, cod, pollock, iceland catfish, etc and you may be able to find someone to bring you out but not very well developed. Not many people even own boats, even on the islands.

Too bad, the country is absolutely beautiful and it would be an amazing backdrop to fly fish against.

I think you just need to be more resourceful ! 3 of us just drove right round the island in a 8 day trip , we caught over 100 brown trout each , sea trout , char , sea run char , cod , plaice and some other sea fish we couldnt ID all on fly.Total on permits to fish was under $100, nothing prebooked and  all DIY without guides , its fairly easy to access if you are competent with a fly rod.

Cheers Colin

13 mins ago, shad said:

I think you just need to be more resourceful ! 3 of us just drove right round the island in a 8 day trip , we caught over 100 brown trout each , sea trout , char , sea run char , cod , plaice and some other sea fish we couldnt ID all on fly.Total on permits to fish was under $100, nothing prebooked and  all DIY without guides , its fairly easy to access if you are competent with a fly rod.

Cheers Colin

Back already, but did talk to several of the tackle shop owners, guides, and recreational locals while we were there. The best we got was there was a $100 license you could use to fish the lakes (or it might have been a specific lake), but all of the rivers required permits for each section and most/all of those required guides. The guides were booked up about a year in advance. The AirBNB we stayed in the owners fly fished and called around as well and no river permits were available while we were there. 

The only gear rental I could find was a tackle shop that rented out surf setups per day, but nobody had fly gear for rent. Bringing my own gear would have been great, but was told the airport customs people don't always accept the vet signed disinfectant forms and will require you have it done there. It was cheap, like $25, but could take an hour or more and I was traveling with 2 toddlers and 2 infants. Not something I could have them wait for. I found out after I returned that if your gear had tags still on it and wasn't used, you don't need to have it disinfected. I had a new Orvis H3 and Hatch reel with both not used yet...

We did see/spook fish in some of the rivers we hiked along, so had I brought gear and didn't worry about the permits I'm sure it would have been possible. I try to do everything above the board at all times though.

5 hours ago, nesportsman said:

We did see/spook fish in some of the rivers we hiked along, so had I brought gear and didn't worry about the permits I'm sure it would have been possible. I try to do everything above the board at all times though.

We were fishing legally with permits at all times on our trip and the total was under $100 each for fishing.

We went specifically to fish, rented a car  and took our gear, Ive been many times and fishing is available with a little research.Your post is very misleading for anyone considering going to Iceland and the statement that all rivers require guides is just nonsense.

15 mins ago, shad said:

We were fishing legally with permits at all times on our trip and the total was under $100 each for fishing.

We went specifically to fish, rented a car  and took our gear, Ive been many times and fishing is available with a little research.Your post is very misleading for anyone considering going to Iceland and the statement that all rivers require guides is just nonsense.

Sorry if I was implying you were doing so illegally, didn't mean to if so. The info on the rivers needing permits is just what I was told by the local shops and locals. I didn't try to verify it or truthfully do much research considering I didn't expect to get much fishing time with the kids. We expect to go back so if you have any links to where we can fish without a permit/guide on the rivers there please share.

What I have heard is that if you book a salmon trip vs a trout trip, the price for the same section of the river will be significantly lower if a trout trip. 

I and the family made to Iceland. Working a few days from here, so I haven't had a chance to fish. I can provide some insight into how the disinfection process went.

Upon arrival, when going through customs, I went up to the window where goods are declared and said that I had some fishing equipment that needed to be disinfected. The guy working the desk called someone and within a few minutes a guy arrived that then took my equipment into a room and sprayed it all with disinfectant. He took my waders, boots, rods, reels, and fly boxes. I was a little surprised about the fly boxes because I read somewhere that it was no longer necessary to have them disinfected. After about 10-15 minutes, he came back with all of the equipment disinfected. Most of it was wrapped in clear plastic bags. The one thing that was a little strange was that one of the box of streamers had a brownish tint to the liquid that I didn't realize until I started unpacking and realized that it leaked out. To my eye, it looked like Iodine because the liquid was brownish and produced a yellow stain. Not sure what happened, but it could have been die in the marabou or something leaching out. After finishing the disinfection, I was walked through customs to a kiosk where I paid around $50 and received a stamped paper stating that my gear had been disinfected. I was told to keep that paper with me when fishing.

I also have a friend who is Icelandic that helped me understand the permit system. Essentially, farmers that own stretches of the river can choose to license the fishing rights to angling clubs that then sell permits to fish those beats often online now. There are usually very few rods allocated to any given beat per day (often 2) and the beats usually cover a large area (can be the entire length of a river). The beats that angling clubs run often have some sort of lodge or cabin that is maintained by the club. The permit grants access to it. It is also common to share a rod and trade off. The system optimizes for providing the most pristine fishing experience possible, especially in the more remote parts of Iceland. For those farmers that are less tech savvy or that are not interested in working with an angling club, it is a matter of either calling them or just knocking on their door. In those cases, they often charge little. To find those sorts of opportunities, my understanding is that it takes a little leg work. The easiest way is to essentially ask around in nearby towns.

@shad I would love to hear some of the beats you fished. I have a couple of plans, but would like to come up with a few more as we travel around western and northern Iceland. Feel free to send me a PM :).

I finally got around to writing about my adventure. The fishing was more challenging than I expected, but I did end up catching my biggest brown and some nice size arctic char. What is hard to capture in words is the experience is the spaciousness and serenity that is easily found. With so much of the water being privately owned and carefully controlled, while it can be expensive, it is easy to find opportunities to fish where you are the only one around. 

For example, I woke up one morning before the rest of the family to fish a lake in the north starting at about 5:30am. I didn’t see a single car during the 20 minute drive and when I arrived it was just me, a pair of loons, a bunch of ducks, and the water.

flyfishing.jpg.16916bb266029bb05bcb396d65699d6d.jpg

The last night before returning I drove to Þingvallavatn, which is the most famous lake in Iceland and also probably the most popular to fish. I managed to catch a few very nice arctic char on a simple pattern that I tied called "the peacock."

ESmdyqN4Iqzu2xlMKSSfCQtgcpSw1SorByf1Y18x_lZ90PeHNdDvpgRaWqgz3cPDsIpnrmCyes5L6qXxRWfkMFVHJwTuDEa8gd1TeSJYQLiEGcjKZuM4f2AZowDugiYou6WcqgP72sD8vj9r-te4RsbmtMffKU9dWZWF5Y5UlmmdUhSimhusQp0hnme9tWv5x4g7pVv1Ze_p9dflTcwQa7zw1mYUe_f26acuXpcG8rB1kUiBsdHYeufcHeoAUVUhQcwP_vqWaLc4IqfPqBQ_kUY2zRe8r4qF5MUlBJk4GZXmb9bP9eTlkqzZBZuwmqrMCjHNkAQ1GkRmpRy_o6ZvBjkmo4X3Y_NqNVGVBhbT0T_FJq4uSAD1toyqrpPXAdZMhRGZl1AvV3TUCHsSgjMP9wSIRqFYaO3Q4DTPLOMyRQr45sU_pWHcD0A-IAHf-Ce8Yi7wE8XwT6BbZ_ojGRIiu3PkbZH6sdHTbj_P8WjibZvLtf-kVdPAr8rlQ7I97d-9hSSjS-DilNnqd0Y9oTsme3LVw3JrSYzWGvQ-z29RviKBLg7ejpckZDK4cc_5US9IDk5g4jygZj4G85xy1vAzmzC2gNfvmFX0FG_vrIVk4hb605mqh5a33mtb3VOBVPV6=w1311-h983-no

I purchased the Veiðikortið which allowed me to fish both the lakes and around 30 others. For the most part, I would have done fine with just the 5wt with floating line when fishing for trout and arctic char, although having a 7wt was helpful when it was windy. If I ever go back, I want to rent a 4wd and fish/camp the highlands.

Here are a few other photos from the trip:

aObnbXLf7FTPkIf71XhHCWVO-iRKmyzMp49YbDThOL83qE1SJjDkvQHIo-GKqwOsnep1zJNHk7rG6FuhRzTROtxh2llzSey46FiJ0IQBsky6Yee2ncpzS3raNajIRJL4yZlMN6rFHcUiW9xZZxagELIgOxJRFW9ws2qP1r1uYHPyaPFn9LsGdrGU-b2cP4jGEZnU59cAFH6rU6dOwJebMxneh8ZcHFI1ExoC63Y8Mwl8rZGh2fvNe_8JuQAUcQvd0gRLqDex9eOT8-BESunkWIfri0Ua-tVyW8gXZJvX2kziyKw88-rND2aEjn09p-6sN9KA29RlzOiaEKyQ8sx94UdPJKXAOGZEwmzjAUGUeQpKqNnAKo6IAR_h9NlPGMjMNMdgnVFBZ1hO94nq48OKqhF5ILCRLAvkin7GrnSGEzC4NprtTEitUUjLDmJ4JNsXCwGWioIEOn66dFzKgpR9YA6KRazBOLLaA0TYwyRY5TA61oRaUsjZzb0Iq3GkHYBuYyiQyd8TsBNO1WkMw_QXEk-T92lKQ6uxu7l2uWfSV-2fAcrt2husIa3gf86bH1IV5Ons7JswPk50sFFW5kRa-2B05wGdodDy-tPV84Z2NcQCivQrqfbsNAyVaiXZmQvU=w1311-h983-no

NgORtpzDJ3cbVYKG0OvvWhb-c1CfQ48zjJdG4lDQs1DYbYhvUALO-HBzNJdfAA4ExfBiYfNeLEbKc7fTHGFiW0FxuEMrkRR9jB1gxhqgYbzM7YykWlQHlxwTS2jdTkCNKI-bbKQFHI-vJWIhmfdTrs78Ztu1Mr12eDxJrRpDiP6k5uTv6ZYspU6I7zQi_I873_1h2hGqdTe7eYa-x-kRNF5dRpl7RdIL_T6GcKlvoEYaTBfWaOdBYYGu2KC-Q3ZsvH90OIBHpffNczzYc3oDY0AM59da4GTNWXzBi5YY6uYk9AG-uXBuH_fCMEoO_ih2iMQcasOxpKtKh5qv3zYnWcL2Y3f458CSNYIXs8ooF0aQTLVU0L6b8Sy_NJ4FaN0wIXik0a5_2wXQ0jsYx87Qc9qAlyIy9RerRlIxAZAWMGcQIYR2Gf5CfrHOaMvFWMG1-0wEYXjSKuaEO5WHGkRmzV-TYXsZGpLf4fipDJeufSJtsdl2LmP160mqRP3n0JwcX8r9etO1aHq3GWL8uo7BKAaYaAFxaTub4Fxju83ZoyZ_PVl5569OUY8sVLQJxOqLt47AhZmNm6xv9AqbTYV7TTbSSKNuQWL7xfXlGX5Y4i91QOVoLv2f_1Yy2t_8TGtZ=w1311-h983-no

C0afiCeOSqJo3L9J-aNu5F0wKKiuQLr6bjQaEu5AozIlw7mISEedWoNEbC8Ca5CqmdeJpJezDflrUnBYiqSeSlZyG12EJDWoRmNkwm6Kf2yToFKPZeTxT-ikdwr8LOMCWF6Fm1njWOM3G4rNAQOrcVAHqjMVXpG7rI4wFGxZVRqcItD5afwbRnDNgqkKI1IC5BC5KL8eIPTVlj8XcRjESAkzG2yjAQE6BikQMmlrcs7N9yXBjbsuON6lgc9hBmDZb4xKxtN92kwnY4WzFbf69tRYamMCO6OY9SLVPlmcVHbbtA9Nc_ew_b0mj-FMy5EW_WY6tra_-ioREFeSQRT-uUuLneKAb53iBNoqQ3R1HY1E31W4EBQDhJ_ZQbtkFILBmZJOO15BS_rwXkTvoFFTLVhBGLl3y21rVSwXm92dmkTxTIwY_Lg_uk5PnhR64UwR21FFc1DDGr681wKJBO00G_52vhSQvvv_HKm_HwxUPAlu9MI_4RBwvzHFxYwbmFtrKDE00nGjIxlrZ8O3dLCoOwr4RDNemsY8raNZv_8w-8U9jzcRRKkF1kQcZA01lU7oo5XXC8cmK6JUoW1Aroq5GowRcgzUb8b2B3YA632HF3BDcodQVUXwBqpI96s8UfO8=w1311-h983-no

I see one photo in the post above, and a good deal of alphanumeric characters that don't make a photo happen.  Is everyone else seeing a photo?

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I see one photo in the post above, and a good deal of alphanumeric characters that don't make a photo happen.  Is everyone else seeing a photo?

Welcome to the Matrix.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:27 PM, BrianBM said:

I too only see one photo. The other spaces for photos just show a big minus sign.