2018 FFS (Fluke From Surf) Pics

Rate this topic

Shipwreck

15 hours ago, nfd27 said:

I've only targeted flounder from shore a few times but when I did I did have success with this rig. Offers two baits to the fish. Might give it a shot this weekend from shore feels a lot more rewarding then by boat. 

Yup, I always use a bucktail/teaser combo for surf fluke. 

Usually it's a gulp minnow on the bucktail and a gulp shrimp in the new penny color. They LOVE that color since most of the action near the surf is on mole crabs it seems. 

Dead low tide has been my best time for fluke from shore. Gave up on the double,dropper - it just gets too twisted and has an unnatural movement, single hook rigs seem to be the best. Bucktail(as light as you can cast) and a Carolina rig are good choices, tipped with either white, chartreuse or pink Gulp/twister tails are my go to choices. My best from the surf is a bit over "25, surprisingly this year my biggest fluke from shore have come via Bomber/SP Minnow while hunting striper.

24 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Do you guys prefer a specific tide for fluke from surf or inlets? I had them as by catch at the places I fish bass but I’ve never targeted them from the suds

I think the spot I'd target I'd almost go by which tide works from boat. For me its been the incoming. But I am no where close to being a decent shore fishermen.

47 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Do you guys prefer a specific tide for fluke from surf or inlets? I had them as by catch at the places I fish bass but I’ve never targeted them from the suds

I think it depends on where you are. If I can scout dead low tide and find some terrain changes/holes/etc, I'll target them at high tide. 

The John Skinner technique does not work in my area. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't. Slowly swimming the bucktail near the bottom with a twitch every 2 or 3 cranks is my go to. Sometimes popping the bucktail of the bottom sharply and letting it sink on semi slack line gets them too.

3 hours ago, faithless said:

The John Skinner technique does not work in my area. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't. Slowly swimming the bucktail near the bottom with a twitch every 2 or 3 cranks is my go to. Sometimes popping the bucktail of the bottom sharply and letting it sink on semi slack line gets them too.

Imo...the rapid jiggling is great for feeding fluke. If they are in a negative mood, it does very little to trigger a bite. That's been my experience on hundreds of party/charter boat trips, where I can compare results with other bucktailers fishing the same spot. 

The pop and drop (on slack line) has been my #1 producer for big fluke, from boat/shore/yak. Single jig, no teaser.  

9 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Imo...the rapid jiggling is great for feeding fluke. If they are in a negative mood, it does very little to trigger a bite. That's been my experience on hundreds of party/charter boat trips, where I can compare results with other bucktailers fishing the same spot. 

The pop and drop (on slack line) has been my #1 producer for big fluke, from boat/shore/yak. Single jig, no teaser.  

agreed I never use a teaser either

20 hours ago, faithless said:

The constant twitching hasn't worked for me either. Shore or boat. Neither have the 6" gulp grubs. Might go back to using ball and chain rigs when drifting. The surf here sucks for flounder, i've never picked one up on a plug and not much catching off any rocks in the past year. 

Biggest for me is only like 24" and that was like 15 years ago on squid/minnow. Only been able to find a few 23", and a 23.5" over the past 3 years on BT & Teaser from the sod banks. Tournament last weekend was won with a 25" so there's always a chance of something nice being around. Something like that 28" up there i would go ape chit. 

Just now, ChumSlickJon said:

How dumb is a fluke?  I cleaned one yesterday that had a rock and a reed in it's stomach.  

Sunday I drank enough beer that when i got home i didn't feel like checking the guts on 3 of them. Just got the meat and hit the couch. Never found anything like that inside before. Usually just spearing, sand fleas and lady crabs.  

Personally I'm not 100% sold on Skinner. He brings some decent info to the table but some of the info he preaches like constantly move your jig just tires the angler out quicker. I've used it and have not seen a drastic change in amount of fish caught versus how I normally jig. Also never realized how much of a following he had. Went on two party boats in north jersey and saw at least six people with exact same setups and tackle and fished the same methods. Never really saw one person do that great. I will say though I'm a big believer in the lightest line lightest buck tail possible. I know my jigging technique I always do a decent sweep every 7-10 jigs then let it sit. I've read a few articles that the big sweeps cause you to miss big fish but in my hands on experience they produce. In the surf a nice big pop then slack with the waves receding causing the baits to flutter would be deadly. 

Just recently cleaned a flounder with three solid muscle shells in his stomach and a rock. 

2 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Sunday I drank enough beer that when i got home i didn't feel like checking the guts on 3 of them. Just got the meat and hit the couch. Never found anything like that inside before. Usually just spearing, sand fleas and lady crabs.  

My daughter likes to fluke with me and she does really well.  She also likes to examine their stomach contents.  We had a nice haul of big fluke, they were gorging on molting calico's.  She'd cut the gut and pull out crabs, counting them.  They all had upwards of 20+ crabs each.  One of the bigger fish was packed fat, it's gullet was full.  We were taking guesses at how many crabs were in that one.  We were wrong.  Not a single crab.  It was packed with sand.  :huh:  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....