59 posts in this topic

Strike King grass frog which I believe is discontinued. Ugly lure and could be better on hook bite ratio but big bass love it and it cast a long ways very durable very weedless. I have had good results on white easy to find on that auction site.

The two frogs I am currently using are teckle sprinkler and the top toad.

The sprinkler frog is like top water crack for bass.  

The top toad floats really well and looks good on the water. I've been having better luck with the Top Toad than the Spro lately, but I'm also fishing on the hydrilla mat that was once Lake Seminole in GA.

My only problem with frogs is getting a good hook set. I can get good strikes, but I'm awful at setting hooks on frogs

Edited by mwhitt80
Added info

3 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

My only problem with frogs is getting a good hook set. I can get good strikes, but I'm awful at setting hooks on frogs

Yep, I have been landing about 15% of the fish I get hits on with the frogs.  I am slow and just did find out about bending the hooks to help the hook set %.  

4 mins ago, spinr0k said:

Yep, I have been landing about 15% of the fish I get hits on with the frogs.  I am slow and just did find out about bending the hooks to help the hook set %.  

I had a really nice bass on a teckle frog last weekend, the line went slack for .5 seconds, and she was gone.  I swear for sometimes I think I need to start a YouTube channel called "Can't Fish for $#!+"; I'd have a giant tutorials of near misses and undoing  professional overruns.

I don't think I have heard of bending the hooks up a little. Since the frogs float it doesn't affect the weedless aspects of the lure; I'm going to try it next time I am out. Thanks.

Frog fishing in nature is not a high percentage hookup technique, this goes for every single topwater lure out there. Someday you can't seem to miss, on others, they just keep swiping and missing.  It's very hard not to ejerkculate prematurely after seeing the violent strikes. Just have to ignore the strikes as much as you can, don't jerk until you feel the fish tugging.   Keep a 2nd rigged rod nearby to cast out there after repeated misses, senko preferred. 

There is nothing like a top water strike. Frogs, pencils, props, flies, whatever.

Seeing that swirl then watching a fish explode on lure. It's the way God intended us to fish. I love it.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:26 PM, mwhitt80 said:

I swear for sometimes I think I need to start a YouTube channel called "Can't Fish for $#!+"; I'd have a giant tutorials of near misses and undoing  professional overruns.

Very damn funny...and I totally relate!

Spro popping frog has been my go to, i find that the two colors that are most productive for me are black and white. I also think the popping versions get more bites than the non popping version.