55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 6/28/2018 at 2:01 PM, EricJ said:

Some frogs just do not get a good hookset. Most likely the angle of the hook or something. Was fishing a scum filled pond last week. A ton of blow ups from big pickerel. So often they just hit that frog and miss getting it into their mouths.

I need to fish frogs more at night.

I always take my pliers and slightly bend the hooks outward, till I run my fingers down the backside and feel them stick. Too many frogs have the hookpoints too tight to the body, making them weedless. But it creates the problem of missing strikes, due to the hooks passing out of the bass's mouth during the hookset, without contact.

Edited by Mack26

I like the ScumFrog Bigfoot for fishing at night-  has little flappy legs that give off a nice little plopping sound (like a WhopperPlopper)   during the day I like the LiveTarget in the smaller size.   been using frogs almost exclusively for the past 2 weeks or so...

On 6/26/2018 at 5:36 PM, Ebbtide231 said:

Good old scum frogs for me.

I load them with some small broken off pieces of rubber worm for casting weight that doesn't affect the buoyancy.

Just make sure the body still crushes down enough to expose the hooks.

Great idea

I'm pretty sure I got that from the old In-Fisherman magazine back in the BC days :)

When the "rubber strand" legs got destroyed by fish ripping them off I replaced them with 4 or 5 strands of braided Dacron. I took the strands, knotted them at a mid-point, taped the ends together (the end I was going to feed thru the frog body) and when I was able to grab them (with the help of needle-nose pliers) I pulled the strands until the knot cleared the opening on the opposite side.

Now with the knot centered in the body, I trimmed the strands to the desired length (roughly 3-4 inches) and "VIOLA" the frog is reborn!

The strands look stiff when dry, but when wet they move quite fluidly and the fish don't care.

My first repaired frog was very successful....until a pickerel inhaled it and cut my braid.

Damn, I miss that frog.

That's why I bought 3 more as backup!

Just a little yankee know-how and ingenuity I guess?

On 6/24/2018 at 10:36 PM, lunkers4life said:

for get your frogs and rats buy a savage gear suicide duck i got one only 20 bucks

i let my 6 year old buy this and the rat over the winter because he thought it was cool, and im a sucker when he shows any interest in fishing.  will be throwing both of them in a couple weeks when we vacation on hopatcong.  

On 6/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, mythreesons said:

Started throwing a wacky rig 20 years ago just driving any offset hook I had through the middle. 

Had to be mid-90's when i first saw the "Jersey rig".  Not even sure why it was called that. Hardly ever saw anyone use it. 

Guess i did my own version of frogging as a kid. With a weedless jitter bug.  Sure missed a lot of fish but always had great blow ups.  There is some cool stuff out there today.

Im fishing a lake full of lilly pads using frogs, without so much as a turn of a tail at them. Another poster in a different thread on this board suggested throwing plastics into the vegetation when bass wont hit frogs. Do you guys feel this is a good idea? I want to take another shot at this lake tonight, and may switch to drop shot rigged plastics if frogs wont work, but im not sure how hard this would be in lilly pads

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Had to be mid-90's when i first saw the "Jersey rig".  Not even sure why it was called that. Hardly ever saw anyone use it. 

Guess i did my own version of frogging as a kid. With a weedless jitter bug.  Sure missed a lot of fish but always had great blow ups.  There is some cool stuff out there today.

"Jersey Rig" seems to have gone by the wayside as the popularity exploded.  "wacky" sold better?  

Certainly we;ve heard Texas this and that in myriad products and of course the texas rigged worm is a staple.  Obviously the carolina rig is immensly popular.  Why not stay with the "Jersey Rig" moniker?  

On 7/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, yemista said:

Im fishing a lake full of lilly pads using frogs, without so much as a turn of a tail at them. Another poster in a different thread on this board suggested throwing plastics into the vegetation when bass wont hit frogs. Do you guys feel this is a good idea? I want to take another shot at this lake tonight, and may switch to drop shot rigged plastics if frogs wont work, but im not sure how hard this would be in lilly pads

I've been trying to fish more lately.  Spent entire Saturday on my favorite lake with lily pads. This is a tough time of year; I've been feeling like I'm not getting many hits either.  At least not as many as I'd like...and it's hard to get a real hookup.

If you are going to stay with frogs on top of the lily pads...assume you are trying different techniques.....fast retrieve with the frog bumping and stumbling, slow retrieve making small hops...slow crawl with stops at any open water patches.  Then try working the edge between open water and the vegetation.   Work the shore in the first few feet.  Change from a black to a white, change to a black or a chartreuse.  Try larger...or smaller.

One thing that's for sure...you have to have some stout braid, no leader and a heavy rod and just PULL them out of the lily pad stems as fast and powerfully as you can.  I got a couple that took me down in the weeds fast and that was the end of that.  I'm new to baitcasters and I appreciate the system but my accuracy completely stinks compared to spinning gear.  Makes it frustrating to try and position the bait exactly where I want it.  Most of time I'm lucky if I get within ten or twenty feet of my target.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, yemista said:

Not all pads are the same.

Look for irregularities.... inside turns, points, pockets of open water or my favorites, stumps or logs in the pads.

Another thing you can do is slow down your retrieve.

S-L-O-W down to the point of it not being a retrieve. Toss ol' Kermit out there, nudge him up to a pad and let him sit there.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing.

I can't count how many bass I've caught while picking out a backlash....

The only frogs I use now are Snag Proof Phat Frogs in black and white. These things are bomb proof and truly unsinkable. In the past I would buy a frog from other companies and fish them hard in heavy cover and before you know it I'd be squeezing out the water to keep them from sinking. 

Love the live target frogs, have enough weight for casting and to make its presence known on

pads and open water. Only thing to do is trim a little off the legs

My favorite frogs is the spro popping frog. Black is my go to color, but white also works well. If you want to save a few bucks, the bass pro popping frog has done ok for me. I always trim the legs down to about 1.5-2 inches which will allow you to walk the frog. Being able to walk a frog like a spook really helped me get a lot more bites. Dont rule out fishing the frog in 6inches of water right on the bank. The best way to find the most active weed mats is to listen for the sunfish. You should here them popping as they eat bugs and stuff. If the sunfish are active in that mat, the bass probably are too.