MoreLunkers

Winthrop Pier???

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

For years now there has been talks about putting up a 250 foot fishing pier over in Winthrop. Well, a contract to start building was just awarded which has locals in rage towards the MWRA. I was heading out to wet my line and noticed many signs of protest in front yards of Winthrop residents. Winthrop residents are saying, "No Security, No Pier."

Where do you guys stand on this?

For years now there has been talks about putting up a 250 foot fishing pier over in Winthrop. Well, a contract to start building was just awarded which has locals in rage towards the MWRA. I was heading out to wet my line and noticed many signs of protest in front yards of Winthrop residents. Winthrop residents are saying, "No Security, No Pier."

Where do you guys stand on this?

1 hour ago, troutworm said:

It begs the ? if you lived in Winthrop would you want it ?

Hell yeah I want a pier.

(In Westborough that pier would need to be at least 35 miles so you could reach salt water.)

Build the pier, the more access the better.  As for the locals what are they asking for?  Security guards on the pier?  I mean, they can't be serious with that....

1 hour ago, fishBAD said:

Build the pier, the more access the better.  As for the locals what are they asking for?  Security guards on the pier?  I mean, they can't be serious with that....

“Added security” i think surveillance cameras would be installed as well. There will be 40 open parking spaces open 24/7 which I think is a main concern for residents because of potential crime. In my eyes the Security has nothing to do with fishing- i would feel the same if it were my backyard but then again I don’t live by the water 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am a resident of Winthrop. There is a hearing June 28th 2018 on the pier 7pm Winthrop High School.  All are welcome.

I support the pier and I sympathize with the residents, especially in the area of Point Shirley. They have their reasons and most will use the Pier to try to get some bargain power in future proposals. That's all the resistance is. The MWRA has done nothing for those folks while their employees fly up and down the streets and all you smell is chemicals in the back yard on a wind blown day.

The parking area at Deer Island must be expanded. You have fisherman and those who want to walk, right now there is less than 25 legal parking spots. This fishing pier will not be just fishermen....it will be a tremendous view of Boston and there will be bunch of folks taking photographs. On a nice day you will have an increase in traffic for non-fisherman on the pier. Deer Island on a good day will have less than 7 cars there  for fishing, less at night. These are facts. The walkers and sightseer's take up the parking. So to point the finger at fishermen?  Is ****ing outrageous.

The spot for the pier will give you outstanding opportunities for flounder. It's a mud flat not  known for Bass but with the pier pylons and any lights the bass will camp out there. No question. Squid will be seen all over. It will make a great family spot and memories for us all and a place to wet a line and a great smelt spot for me! lol

Edited by The Riddler

17 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I am a resident of Winthrop. There is a hearing June 28th 2018 on the pier 7pm Winthrop High School.  All are welcome.

I support the pier and I sympathize with the residents, especially in the area of Point Shirley. They have their reasons and most will use the Pier to try to get some bargain power in future proposals. That's all the resistance is. The MWRA has done nothing for those folks while their employees fly up and down the streets and all you smell is chemicals in the back yard on a wind blown day.

The parking area at Deer Island must be expanded. You have fisherman and those who want to walk, right now there is less than 25 legal parking spots. This fishing pier will not be just fishermen....it will be a tremendous view of Boston and there will be bunch of folks taking photographs. On a nice day you will have an increase in traffic for non-fisherman on the pier. Deer Island on a good day will have less than 7 cars there  for fishing, less at night. These are facts. The walkers and sightseer's take up the parking. So to point the finger at fishermen?  Is ****ing outrageous.

The spot for the pier will give you outstanding opportunities for flounder. It's a mud flat not  known for Bass but with the pier pylons and any lights the bass will camp out there. No question. Squid will be seen all over. It will make a great family spot and memories for us all and a place to wet a line and a great smelt spot for me! lol

Good to hear a local resident say that, although one that is obviously pro-fishing and pro-access. The problem will come from the NIMBY folks who are less open minded. I dunno if the security concerns are just a smoke screen or overreacting (espec with respect to the ridiculous security guard argument) ? A well-lit area that is patrolled regularly by the police is all you need.

57 mins ago, bdowning said:

Good to hear a local resident say that, although one that is obviously pro-fishing and pro-access. The problem will come from the NIMBY folks who are less open minded. I dunno if the security concerns are just a smoke screen or overreacting (espec with respect to the ridiculous security guard argument) ? A well-lit area that is patrolled regularly by the police is all you need.

Thank you.  MWRA has subcontracted out security for the treatment plant.  Use to be Wackenhut I dont know who the sub is now but I always see the yellow flashing lights from Faun Bar as they check the gates at night.  

State Police patrol the parking lot.  I have no police data from there.  The most high profile case has been the baby Bella but that crime happened elsewhere.  There was a gang fight in 2010 or so that resulted in losing night parking.  Several of us called the MWRA and they swiftly called the State Police and we re-gained access quickly.  I have never heard of other serious events but I live on the other side of town and the Winthrop Transcript does not post State Police blotter.  They may have evidence of problems there but I want to see that.  

I just want to be fair but if I have to chose a side?  I stand with the fishermen. 

Edited by The Riddler

It was 2010 where we lost parking and some fishermen did get towed.  Here is the thread.  The MWRA do like the fishermen.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/377450-attention-for-those-who-fish-deer-island-winthrop-ma/

Edited by The Riddler

Where is it going?

I would say no I don't want it, all the added traffic, parking, trash, ... who has to take care of it or pay for the up keep?  also if you lived in the area do you really want to look out and see that ?

Massachusetts Water Resources Authority Notification

Dear Friend,

Please note that the date and location for the Spring meeting of the Deer Island Citizens’ Advisory Committee (CAC) has been changed. The meeting will now be held on Thursday, June 28th at 7:00PMat Winthrop High School400 Main St, Winthrop, MA 02152

At this meeting, MWRA will update our neighbors on what’s going on at Deer Island and will listen and respond to any comments or questions you may have. We hope that you’ll plan to attend.  Of course, please feel free to forward this email to anyone you know who may be interested.