bonefishdick

Striper Report Day 14 of 2018 & Will it be my last one this year ?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

I have to admit that 2018 was a year that I was looking forward to for many reasons, I think the number one reason was when I was finally able to arrange a week in June on the cape with two very close friends, one from the UK and the other from WV. The other was my annual trip to my condo on Sanibel in July with Striper buddies.

All of has gone by the board with something that started out with what I thought was a simple sore throat that progressively seemed to get worse over time. The final diagnosis came in on June 12th after a PET Scan that showed once again it looked like I had Throat Cancer.

I did have throat cancer that was cured 13 1/2 years and I thought that it was all behind me. Needless to say, this is a tayal shock. This is not really a recorrance but more of a whole new cancer. I have already met with my surgeon at Mass Eye & Ear and I am scheduled to have a biopsy under anesthesia on the 26th with a post op follow up on July 6th to discuss the big operation.

In my first meeting with my surgeon we did discuss what could be done but it was more informational to advise me of what could happen.

In my first bout with this I had a total neck dissection to remove a small tumor as well as 38  Lymph Nodes followed up my Chemo and 38 radiation treatments.

This time around I can only do surgery or Chemo or possibly Immunotherapy. 

If it looks like I can have the surgery and then do a graft to rebuild my tongue with the graft coming from my leg. I would also end up end up with a feeding tube that may well become permanent and I may not be able to talk for a long time or at all. This would be my first option.

I understand that I could lose my entire tongue as well and possibly some of the voice box. The tumor is 4 cm now, about the size of a Chestnut and is blocking my throat making it extremely hard to eat and swallow food already so maintaining weight is hard to do at this point. 

I could opt for just chemo for 6 weeks. That would only control the tumor from growing but eventually that would stop working. I am not sure about how long that would be but the pain during that time means serious pain management and I am not one for doing that.

If the Chemo totally failed then I might be eligible for the Immunotherapy but that would only have about a 20 % chance of working. The question then becomes how big would the tumor be and then I think it just becomes a matter of time before it would totally block my throat.

There is the outside chance that the tumor would not be cancer but PET Scans are 88 % accurate and I don't I don't think I will be grasping at that straw.

I am not one to hide things and I have never been afraid to talk about things. I know a number of people through other means of talking with me have questioned why I have not been posting much. The last few months have been very rough and most days it was a lot of pain and being relegated to the couch and on the few days when I was feeling better I would run out the door for a few hours. 

Today I sort of knew that I wanted to go and would go no matter what because of the short window. I have been getting calls from friends who already knew about this and would ask how I was doing and check to see if I might want to go with them if they drove. If I had been able to get the pain management meds resolved sooner I would have done so.

Today I knew that I would go and that I wanted it to be a solo trip and just digest things along with the fish maybe helping me with my favorite DRUG, The Tug. 

I knew it was supposed to rain and that started five minutes after I made quick stop to check the tide and wind before moving my final destination. Things looked good, the only real mistake I made was tucking my raincoat inside my waders so after 2 1/2 hours I was wet to my knees. That 2 1/2 was the best FIX of the day, I wanted to get 20 fish today and I thought it was a reasonable objective. I almost made it.  I lost my fly on a backcast after #19 and decided to call it a wrap.

The conditions before I started.

P1100698sol.JPG.509ee86df093f662ce429d1923bed509.JPG

My first fish of the day, not big, but a good start at 7:37 am.

P1100700sol.JPG.7146f5f36fd512a8aa3fbf96ad1b73e0.JPG

Last fish of the day at 9:34 am

P1100702sol.JPG.0a28be997213974bcd9862707b8a1bcd.JPG

NO DUNKINS STOP TODAY

Dick,so very sorry to hear about your impending ordeal,wishing you the best for the outcome. Hopefully things will go well and you'll be fishing again soon! You got this...

Darn it Dick. You are one very tough real  Man.

Like Slip n slide I wish you the very best and hope you get a good outcome with this latest bout of illness.

We are rooting for you.

Mike

BFD,

I along with many, have enjoyed your posts throughout the years. Probably everyone on this site now ties a Betsy! I kind of felt something was up with you, not seeing any fishing posts for a while.

I hope your situation has the best outcome possible  and you can eventually get back on the water. Good luck and God Bless.

Ben T

Here's hoping you put up dozens more reports, catch thousands more striped fish and others, and give Mr. C the middle finger.  I just joined here, and already would miss your  reports. Prayer sent.

I was wondering to myself why we haven't seen the usual level of reportage and I am truly sad to find out the reason.  We will be keeping you in our prayers, all the best Dick.

O

Hopefully this will not be your last trip...please look into medical marijuana especially CBD (canabanoids/cannabidiol) oil taken orally..this alternative/holistic method will provide you with a better quality of life that conventional treatments does not. We went thru this with two family members ...please DM if you need more info on this sending positive vibe with spiritual strength .

So   sorry to hear that. I will pray for best outcome.  And watch for your reports on how your doing.   My internet friend,  ccb

Saddened  to hear your news Dick.   Seemed you were on a good roll these last few years so hopefully this will not dampen your spirits.   Hopefully during your rehab you'll at least have sufficient strength to tie up plenty of striped (Betsy's) and snook flies so you can hit the beach running when this ordeal is over. 

God speed,

HT