Penn Fathom 30 - birds nest

Rate this topic

Peter8

For static mags when room allows you can epoxy a protected steel washer to the side plate which allows you to easily swap magnets. Your thumb floats right above the spinning spool and checks the speed if the line starts to fluff up or lift.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

5 hours ago, Peter8 said:

When you say “thumbing progresses” what do you exactly mean?

As you get better using your thumb to control spool overrun when needed.

Practice, practice, practice

6 hours ago, Peter8 said:

i watched some videos on YouTube, but they never use their thumb - but they adjust the magnets through the cast though..

My 7ht mag st is very controllable with the factory magnetic brake system. Set your mag control to the highest setting to start. You shouldn't have to touch the spool much, if any to avoid backlash. With the Fathom30 you might find a smart thumb is needed.

6 hours ago, Peter8 said:

Could you walk me through the perfect cast just so I have an idea of what to be watching for?

It's important to remember that every cast is an opportunity to perform, in any fishing situation, a "perfect" cast. We all have different limitations, so what works best for you will be perfect.

Practice, practice, practice,  

Hi guys

So I seem to have a problem on my Penn Fathom - the spool is not magnetic. Any good workarounds for this? Should I glue some metal washers on the spool? I'm kind of sad needing to do this as it could mess up the balance of the spool. This Fathom reel is really giving me a hard time..

5 days until I get my new reel and the Fathom will be history..

Kind Regards,

Peter

3 hours ago, Peter8 said:

Hi guys

So I seem to have a problem on my Penn Fathom - the spool is not magnetic. Any good workarounds for this? Should I glue some metal washers on the spool? I'm kind of sad needing to do this as it could mess up the balance of the spool. This Fathom reel is really giving me a hard time..

5 days until I get my new reel and the Fathom will be history..

Kind Regards,

Peter

Spool does NOT need to be magnetic for magnets to work.

Promise.

Wait for the 7HT.

Hi guys

Well that sounded kind of strange until I saw this video:

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6552/aab852

yup - Aluminium interacts with the magnets..

actually that makes the installation so much easier as I can easily stack magnets without worried about them jumping on to the spool..

yet again thanks for the wonderful input!

cant wait for my 7HT

knd regards

Peter

Thanks ZAFisher!

in going tomorrow and I can’t wait. I agree will start very slowly I need to get my skills developed before I start putting in some power. Also don’t want to spend my entire day fixing birds nest..

ill put a .35mm braided line (50lb) on it without a shocker just to get started and in action. Will start with around 3oz casting weight.. maybe I’ll put on a couple of spoons and go for some Makrels just for the fun of it...

Should I be able to feel the play on the spool with my fingers, or visually see it?

they also gave me some oil to lubricate it with, how often should I apply that? Also, any idea how many pounds of drag this reel has? Not that I’ll need them all, but it’s nice to know so I don’t break anything..

Kind Regards,

Peter

If I was having that much of a problem I would practice with the conventional set-up -but get a 10ft.6inch spinning rod and matching spinning reel with good line lay with 30lb. braid -great distance-reach those fish and have some fun--just my thougths--good luck with your beautiful new reel--rreelman

11 lbs drag or 5kg. http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/millionaire_7htmag/index.html

We have similar situations. I got a Squall 30 and backlashed incredibly badly with 30lb mono. The Squall 30's spool tension doesn't help much & there is no other magnetic or centrifugal brakes....so useless. I tried installing magnets when the magnets got clumped together on the 1st tryout, I decided to get the Daiwa 7HT Mag Super Tuned since I had 2 Amazon gift certificates. I am using .38mm braid right now also.

I've read in this forum that you should use Carbontex drag washers for the non ST version.
http://www.smoothdrag.com/