kross57

Hobie does it again!

284 posts in this topic

Folks know my Hobie hull cracked after just 3 years.

It is becoming clear to me that I was probably overcharged by Hobie, and I'm being denied my rights as a consumer.

Hobie extends a pro-rated 5-6 year warranty on “known defects”. The crack in my Hobie kayak hull was determined to be one of these defects. I was offered the pro-rated replacement. Although I am not privy to their calculations, I can do them on my own.

I paid $1,800 for my kayak new. To give Hobie the benefit of the doubt, I’ll assume the lower number of 5 years (instead of 6) for the pro-rated warranty. That means each year of my kayak’s 5-year life is worth $360 (1800 / 5 = 360). I received 3 years of use before it failed. The first 2 years are absorbed under Hobie’s full warranty. I am responsible for the last year - $360. I actually paid $347, so my calculations must be pretty accurate.

However, that amount should cover a complete “new kayak package” including a Mirage drive and seat. Even though I paid for them, I did not receive these items. A new drive alone is worth $600.

Now, I am told by Hobie that because I was not given all the items I paid for, I did not get a complete “new kayak package”. And they will only warranty a complete package. So for that reason they are denying me any warranty going forward. Cute, right?

However, the Hobie warranty is written as “Two year coverage on hull and all components.” No mention of a package. If I didn’t receive a brand new hull, what exactly did I pay for? Is this hull used? Is it not a hull? What the hell did I buy?

I was curious if anyone else has experienced something similar.  

When they replaced my inflatable hull last year due to a drive well crack, the 2 year warranty did not restart. However, there were a few permanent creases in one of the side pontoons...I called them up and they offered yet another replacement hull, or to restart the warranty on the new hull. I took the latter option. 

Interesting break down Kross. I always assumed that the part that breaks (in both our cases, the hull) is the part that is replaced. I did not expect hobie to send me a new seat/drive along with the new hull. But the fact that they are using the "package" language to deny you a new warranty...is pretty hilarious. 

I suppose the “Two year coverage on hull and all components.” includes the drive so they are sweating the fact if they renew your warranty they would be responsible for a 5 year old drive and seat.

Am I understanding you right, Hobie charged you $347 for a replacement hull?

1 min ago, bantis said:

I suppose the “Two year coverage on hull and all components.” includes the drive so they are sweating the fact if they renew your warranty they would be responsible for a 5 year old drive and seat.

Am I understanding you right, Hobie charged you $347 for a replacement hull?

The thing is I actually paid for a new drive and seat. I just didn't get them. Either way, I would be fine with a 2-year warranty on just the hull. 

I paid $347 for one year of the pro-rated warranty.

Look at it this way. If you buy tires with a 40,000 mile pro-rated warranty and they fail after 20,000 miles, you pay 50% of the cost of new tires. Then the warranty starts from 0. In this case it's a little different because Hobie has a full warranty for the first 2 years so you are only responsible to pay anything for years 3-5.   But once you do pay, the warranty should start over. It didn't.   

17 mins ago, buddha162 said:

When they replaced my inflatable hull last year due to a drive well crack, the 2 year warranty did not restart. However, there were a few permanent creases in one of the side pontoons...I called them up and they offered yet another replacement hull, or to restart the warranty on the new hull. I took the latter option. 

Interesting break down Kross. I always assumed that the part that breaks (in both our cases, the hull) is the part that is replaced. I did not expect hobie to send me a new seat/drive along with the new hull. But the fact that they are using the "package" language to deny you a new warranty...is pretty hilarious. 

Right. You have to look at the pro-rated cost you paid. In my case, since they didn't give me a new drive ($600) or a new seat ($100) these should have been subtracted from the cost. But they were not. I paid for new ones and didn't get them. 

Here it is, straight from Matt Miller at Hobie:

"A warranty continues from the date of purchase of a new kayak package.  A replacement hull, whether at no charge or on a pro rated (good faith) cost, is not a new boat purchase with a warranty offered."

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, kross57 said:

Right. You have to look at the pro-rated cost you paid. In my case, since they didn't give me a new drive ($600) or a new seat ($100) these should have been subtracted from the cost. But they were not. I paid for new ones and didn't get them. 

That makes perfect sense.....

Edited by BillZ

I think a known defect would warrant a full warranty, not a pro-rated one, but that says a lot about the manufacturer.  Create a timeline from your purchase to present day.  Review that timeline against the written warranty.  Incorporate the language of the warranty into your timeline.  If there are any gaps, call them out on it.  You can also share your research with the consumer bureau of your state's A.G.'s office.  Companies usually pucker up when the A.G.'s office sends a letter of inquiry.  Sometimes, state consumer statutes offer rights greater than your written warranty.  Sometimes, the carefully worded warranty and all of its caveats and provisos wins.  Good luck.

6 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I think a known defect would warrant a full warranty, not a pro-rated one, but that says a lot about the manufacturer.  Create a timeline from your purchase to present day.  Review that timeline against the written warranty.  Incorporate the language of the warranty into your timeline.  If there are any gaps, call them out on it.  You can also share your research with the consumer bureau of your state's A.G.'s office.  Companies usually pucker up when the A.G.'s office sends a letter of inquiry.  Sometimes, state consumer statutes offer rights greater than your written warranty.  Sometimes, the carefully worded warranty and all of its caveats and provisos wins.  Good luck.

All good points. Locally, I can drag my dealer into small claims court. With Hobie, I'm not sure I can sue locally. But I have already begun to form a complaint for the California AG.  They messed with the wrong guy this time.  

8 mins ago, kross57 said:

They messed with the wrong guy this time.  

Add  in some " hoe bee forum" injustice & we got a ticking time bomb.  :box:

Edited by BillZ

well hearing about this is definitely making me think twice about getting a hobbie... its one thing to know a kayak has a know issue that can happen, but to know that this is how they handle it...

Didn’t they kick you out of their forum? What happened to freedom of speech... Consumer insights are at the front lines in the day and age we live in and are shaping industries and companies before our own eyes... I’m a hobie owner but I don’t like what they are doing here... 

It is insanity plus. According to Hobie, this is the post that got me banned from their forum:

"Reliability is key for me, so I was concerned about their reputation for hull cracks. But I was assured that this issue had been corrected and they were a thing of the past. My mistake."