GarbageFish

North Shore-- Finding bait but nothing on them.

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Breaking my routine I decided to poke around the north shore spots the past few weeks.

Besides the abundant scup fluke and gunnards I haven't seen anything else pulled in recently (besides devils playground).

I keep running into schools of bunker and throwing the bag or snag and drop for nada. Even the sand eel schools are passing by undisturbed.

Is the sound striper and blue bite light or current oriented this time of year?

Didn't see any action on the NS until at least 8:30 last night if it's bass you're looking for. I marked a few the other day during sun up, but they were no less than 20-30ft deep. Blues however have been crushing bait schools. Cliche as it is; follow the birds. I paddled right into a few nice blitzes.

FROM SHORE...

Curse of the North Shore for me... same last summer, same this summer .... something is on the bait, toss the bag, work different parts of the water column and NOTHING!.

I pretty much exclusively hit the NS from my kayak.  Their are plenty of fish, its just limited to a few hotspots within reach of shore.  I would suggest fishing the least protected water you have access too, or certain back bays.  Both those extremes have produced the most fish for me.  High tide back ways schools of fish are getting chased until the outgoing, look for the birds at slack tide.  Otherwise find the northern most land on the NS.

Just now, bantis said:

I pretty much exclusively hit the NS from my kayak.  Their are plenty of fish, its just limited to a few hotspots within reach of shore.  I would suggest fishing the least protected water you have access too, or certain back bays.  Both those extremes have produced the most fish for me.  High tide back ways schools of fish are getting chased until the outgoing, look for the birds at slack tide.  Otherwise find the northern most land on the NS.

*Edit* Fluke, SB, and Seabass have been showing. I haven't seen and Blues yet, but I think snappers are here.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, hobobob said:

Bass or blue from shore. Nil. Besides endless supplies of sea robins. There are still some nice pork chops around. 

I landed 4 Sea Robins  yesterday at dusk using a Chicken Scratch Long A Bomber. I was very surprised. First for me. BTW..no bass.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, GarbageFish said:

I spent an overnight at Wildwood a few weeks ago for a single robin that hit a big danny

Witnessed an actual Sea Robin Blitz last week on sandeels....I was out pod hoping on my boat I couldn't believe how stupid it looked

4 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

Witnessed an actual Sea Robin Blitz last week on sandeels....I was out pod hoping on my boat I couldn't believe how stupid it looked

Saw the same thing a few weeks ago at sunrise on my kayak. Paddled all the way to the birds and splashes for a damn Robin blitz.