Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mando

New to saltwater / tips / back from a break / surfcasting

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

How's it going out there everyone? It's been a while since I've been into the surf, or beach in general due to medical issues and hospital trips over the course of 2 years.

I was just looking for general info on where I can wet a line for striped bass, blues, porgy, seabass, dig for clams, squid jig or crab net. 

I  fished Plum Island yesterday and it was slow for me last night, not much bait anywhere except for a clams every 15ft {are these surf clams edible? white big shells}

looking to try something new . 

I currently am using a mojo surf 10'6 3/4-4oz medium and a pen spinfisher v 6500, I also have a Tsunami trophy surf rod 3-6oz medium heavy for chunking or throwing big bucktails/jigs in the Merrimack river. I am willing to drive 1-2 hours for spots.

Just looking for general areas to explore and gain more experience with the plugs in my bag which I'm trying to limit to 8 or less to become proficient with specific techniques.

I have fished , Deer Island , Plum Island, some beach fronts in Ispwich and Salem. I have only really fished from shore and do not have access to my own boat.

The spots you just listed are good places to start. Beaches with moving water and rocky points all over north shore.

Pick a spot on the map that you think looks fishy and you can figure out good access. Fish this same spot for at least a half dozen trips if not more instead of bouncing around. Make sure you get it at all 4 tide quarters hopefully after dark  without a big bright moon or at least dusk/dawn. If you are striking out more than you are comfortable with it’s time to move along. Now you “know” that spot instead of trying it once and probably missing the optimal set of factors.

3 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

The spots you just listed are good places to start. Beaches with moving water and rocky points all over north shore.

Pick a spot on the map that you think looks fishy and you can figure out good access. Fish this same spot for at least a half dozen trips if not more instead of bouncing around. Make sure you get it at all 4 tide quarters hopefully after dark  without a big bright moon or at least dusk/dawn. If you are striking out more than you are comfortable with it’s time to move along. Now you “know” that spot instead of trying it once and probably missing the optimal set of factors.

Makes a lot of sense, I really appreciate the tip! I usually fish 6pm-12am/1am .