lunkers4life

braided line

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

im only 16 so im short on cashso im looking at buying braid cause im down to my last 3 spools of pp and well im getting either a 1000 yd spool of 8 strand or 2000 yd spool of 4 but i dont kno which also this will be for fishing the ccc im also wondering if i should go 30 or 40 lb test. this will be used on a 5000 sized clash on a 9'6 avid rated 2-6 and on a cabo 60 on a 10'6 mojo with 2 tips the 2-6 and the 3/4 - 4 any info is appreciated thanks

also i was looking at some cheaper braid on amazon im not concerned aabt the brand name just looking for cheap and long casts and it has to last a while

Edited by lunkers4life

Go with Sufix 832, it comes 1200yd spools. It is the best bang for the buck when it comes to braided lines; it is very tough to beat its reliability.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

8 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Go with Sufix 832, it comes 1200yd spools. It is the best bang for the buck when it comes to braided lines; it is very tough to beat its reliability.

ill look into it is it as abrasion resistent as say power pro 4 strand

33 mins ago, lunkers4life said:

ill look into it is it as abrasion resistent as say power pro 4 strand

If you are concerned about abrasions on rocks, use a long heavy mono leader on top of braid. It will save you fish, cut down on braided line attrition, and give you something nice to grab when the fish gets close. Learn the FG knot.

But, since you asked, Sufix 832 has the best abrasion resistance of any braided line I have ever used hands down. I once had a fish wrap me around multiple barnacle encrusted pier pylons when I didn't get to my rod and reel in time with the spool set to free line. I was still able to pull the fish back out from all the pylons and flip it up on to the pier, release, it, and keep right on fishing without issue, power pro, or any other braid for that matter, can not do that.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I ordered some kastkings once off of amazon because it was so much cheaper and the line is much thicker and stiffer than the more expensive stuff. I use Diawa J braid most of the time now bought 1500 yards for around 65 dollars.

16 and short on cash you need to be working a summer job man!

I don't know much about the off brand braids, i fish the less expensive name brands. My brother called me a month ago to tell me that he bought some 1000yd maybe more 15lb camo braid off amazon because it had good ratings. Forget what the name was but for flounder you don't need much. Bass wise and fishing up there you might want some 40lb. Never been but from the videos i've seen the bass make you work with that current. 

You are short on cash and you are willing to gamble it all on some unknown line or huge spools that you never used before?  What worked for others might not work for you. Start small, try 150 to 300 yds spool.  If you like it, then stock up when it's on sale.   There is always a sale some where, some time.  On of our own aquaholik has done majority of the leg work for you on line reviews.

Like the person above me said buy a 150-300 yard spool and see what you like. You'll save a decent chunk of change that way. I'd suggest either J-Braid 4x or Jerry Brown solid for what you're looking to do. 

7 hours ago, lunkers4life said:

im looking at some cheap line called hurculese somthin on amizon reviews look good but i dont know what lb test to get or the color

You can get Sufix 832 1200 spools for $85.

The fishing line is the absolute most important part of your set-up, it is the only connection between you and the fish; don't skimp.

Decided to try the cheap braid. 30lb pe braided line. So far so good. 1500 yards of 30lb for 36 bucks and free shipping. Sea bassing and Large Striped Bass its holding up. 

I love 832, im gonna try the 131 but its pretty pricey.

But I went this winter and got piscifun braid off amazon for ice season. It works well. No where near 832 as far as softness and casting.

I got a spool of piscifun 50lb to test. So far so good. Again I cant cast as far but I dont need to. With 50lb im fishing boulders and structure so im not casting crazy far, im also fishing skinny water, maybe 2 to 6 feet deep. Abrasion resisitance is key here and so far, the cheap braid has done well.

Normally I buy J-braid 8x, but saw a deal on Hercules braid and decided to give it a shot.  Not sure how true this is and I hope there is 1000 yards on this spool.

The line does feel smooth like other 8stranded lines.  

IMG_20210623_162640.jpg

IMG_20210623_163610.jpg