How far is an ok cast?

Rate this topic

Bfishes333

1 hour ago, jabster said:

I really don't see the relevance of knowing the exact wind speed from the exact location you are fishing from when you are already fishing there. But it wouldn't be the first time I didn't get something.

Life’s too short to explain why this came up :)

mike

17 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Life’s too short to explain why this came up :)

mike

Point was not knowing the exact speed of course but rather what conditions generally exist and are they workable. I did not mean to suggest you worry about the wind speed when you are already there, more like when you get in the truck starting out and have some choices. Sometimes we don't like the choices anyway.

It's just about how people estimate, and becoming a decent estimator isn't very hard in the range of typical FFing conditions. I think I can guess sustained within 2-3 mph, up to around 20-25. A lifetime of boating is mostly what did it. Plus, I had cause to use a wind meter in my job sometimes, like for traffic noise monitoring, which ya can't do in windy conditions because it interferes. It's harder, IMO, to estimate as accurately at higher wind speeds.

The best forecasts for fly casting (I didn't say fishing) will always be: Calm, Light and Variable, 0-5, and 5-10. :th:

Edited by patchyfog

5 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

Point was not knowing the exact speed of course but rather what conditions generally exist and are they workable. I did not mean to suggest you worry about the wind speed when you are already there, more like when you get in the truck starting out and have some choices. Sometimes we don't like the choices anyway.

Joe

I set a plan and for me half the fun is trying to make it work come hell or high water.

If the easy option is sought where is the satisfaction. If wind at back is  always sought  it will probably compromise the quality of the Mark.

Easy option is rarely the best.

mike

23 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Joe

I set a plan and for me half the fun is trying to make it work come hell or high water.

If the easy option is sought where is the satisfaction. If wind at back is  always sought  it will probably compromise the quality of the Mark.

Easy option is rarely the best.

mike

Agreed, that's my point about "sometimes we don't like the options" Snotty, cold, raining, deadly hot are all worth a shot...the fish don't care and most other fishers are home.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, Bfishes333 said:

I recently picked up my first fly outfit and have been practicing in my yard. I have a 9' 9wt setup. I am casting a small freshwater fly (I fish Salt)with the hook cut just below the barb for practice.my casts are ranging from 50' to 60' on average. I have been paying attention to making tight loops and accurate casts. I understand that distance may not be a major issue when catching fish,  especially when most fish I catch inshore are caught between 30 and 60 feet out. I have yet to take the fly rod to the water because I want to be confident in my cast before I do so. So what is a good comfortable distance besides wjere the fish are? Thanks. 

Bfishes great question.
How far is an ok cast?

- I would say, any cast that is not creating any slack in the system regarding the distance.

Just picture a conventional spinning fisherman casting a lure. The are more efficient because they can cast farther or because they can keep the slack off the line at every cast?

Respectfully, “Efficiency” is the missing word in the question. Not sure where it should be placed :).

A efficient cast is the one that it gives me a 100% leader/fly control on every single cast on any given conditions.

If I can’t connect and control my leader I’m definitely waisted (how far) the energy in to the casting exercise and also the main link to be out there, which is catching a fish as efficient as I possibly can.
Regarding the conditions, casting 10’ or 100’, If I’m not feeling the fly is “hunting” just a second after it  is in the water...! I’m not fishing!
I’m just fly casting outdoors, nothing wrong with that, but today’s  goal is to catch, not casting far a fly line, and there it is the thinn line, I’m jus casting the fly line, because Im not able to control the leader/fly period! 

Practice & leader control.

Here it is a clip chasing Albies and how 

after many years practicing and many more to learn,  I was able to adjust to the conditions with some limitations but  still, reaching my key word efficiency, and cast about 90’ on every cast thanks to the wind conditions.

Great fly caster and fisherman next to me at the tip of the jetty, but It wasn’t the same for this fellow fly fisherman next to me, looks his frustration it’s because the wind direction and the casting scenario when casting from the rocks, he just couldn’t adjust and figure out how to cast In a efficient way. I know this guy, and he walk the North Easter shore backwards longer than I did walking forward since. But he just couldn’t get in to the fish!

I’m on top of the rocks, wind is also over my right casting arm so I switch hands to cast with my lefty on top and all is perfect now. Few corrections on the retrieving speed and fish on.

Practice farther than the 5 essentials of fly casting is key to everyone, practice the casting in a real scenario or in your living room is as good as the caster wants it to be as longer as he or she knows what it needs to be practicing, to me, the only practice is needed to catch your first fish...,the 5 essentials of fly casting. (For some are 6...:rav: I’m old school, so respectfulIy I’ll  stick with 5 )

Not in this orther.

Power
Straight line path
Pause
Casting Stroke
Slack line

This 5 essentials must be clear and take in consideration before we start  the practice anytime and anywhere to develop a good and efficient presentation of your fly to the fish.

All the best

Mag

On 7/5/2018 at 6:02 PM, ken r said:

Don't listen to these guys. A good cast is 150ft.

I knew it :violin:

20 hours ago, jabster said:

Yep, you go out there and try your best. The snotty, windy days are what you practice your cast for. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes the conditions just kick your butt.

Thanks Jabster, working on it. I'm planning on getting a video of it this weekend. Hopefully on the water.

8 hours ago, magayanes said:

Bfishes great question.
How far is an ok cast?

- I would say, any cast that is not creating any slack in the system regarding the distance.

Just picture a conventional spinning fisherman casting a lure. The are more efficient because they can cast farther or because they can keep the slack off the line at every cast?

Respectfully, “Efficiency” is the missing word in the question. Not sure where it should be placed :).

A efficient cast is the one that it gives me a 100% leader/fly control on every single cast on any given conditions.

If I can’t connect and control my leader I’m definitely waisted (how far) the energy in to the casting exercise and also the main link to be out there, which is catching a fish as efficient as I possibly can.
Regarding the conditions, casting 10’ or 100’, If I’m not feeling the fly is “hunting” just a second after it  is in the water...! I’m not fishing!
I’m just fly casting outdoors, nothing wrong with that, but today’s  goal is to catch, not casting far a fly line, and there it is the thinn line, I’m jus casting the fly line, because Im not able to control the leader/fly period! 

Practice & leader control.

Here it is a clip chasing Albies and how 

after many years practicing and many more to learn,  I was able to adjust to the conditions with some limitations but  still, reaching my key word efficiency, and cast about 90’ on every cast thanks to the wind conditions.

Great fly caster and fisherman next to me at the tip of the jetty, but It wasn’t the same for this fellow fly fisherman next to me, looks his frustration it’s because the wind direction and the casting scenario when casting from the rocks, he just couldn’t adjust and figure out how to cast In a efficient way. I know this guy, and he walk the North Easter shore backwards longer than I did walking forward since. But he just couldn’t get in to the fish!

I’m on top of the rocks, wind is also over my right casting arm so I switch hands to cast with my lefty on top and all is perfect now. Few corrections on the retrieving speed and fish on.

Practice farther than the 5 essentials of fly casting is key to everyone, practice the casting in a real scenario or in your living room is as good as the caster wants it to be as longer as he or she knows what it needs to be practicing, to me, the only practice is needed to catch your first fish...,the 5 essentials of fly casting. (For some are 6...:rav: I’m old school, so respectfulIy I’ll  stick with 5 )

Not in this orther.

Power
Straight line path
Pause
Casting Stroke
Slack line

This 5 essentials must be clear and take in consideration before we start  the practice anytime and anywhere to develop a good and efficient presentation of your fly to the fish.

All the best

Mag

Mag thanks for your in depth response and the video. If I had to put the five in order I would probably go

Casting stroke

Pause

Straight line path

Power

Slack line 

Do you have almost no line out before you shoot or is it in the stripping basket in your video? 

Bfishes, about 50’ of running line in the basket, not really good clip to show the Sbasket view.

Here it is one that I really like because it shows a lot of details if you slow down the vid sped, like the energy loading point (above top had) on the but section during the casting stroke, the bottom and top hand paths, the drift with the slide line thecnique that crunch explain few years back at SOL and I copy and paste in te shadows:howdy:,  also a great view on the retrieving and coils pattern placement that best work for me.

I’m sorry for the late reply.

Hope it helps.