Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,165 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, JoeSWFF said:

After re-reading this thread again after my time away from the salt, I really don’t see a decent overhead fast strong fly rod blank out there. I do hear allot of folks recommending Mikes blanks, discontinued blanks, Spey blanks. Being a new builder, but not a new 2 handler, it makes it tough. That’s why I bought and have used a beulah opal surf for the past years. I would love one of Mikes blanks but, their just not readily available. It really seems the right blanks are just not available. I had a chance to have one of Mikes blanks, can’t remember if it was last year or the year before, but a few problems arose so I really couldn’t go forward. Kicking myself now. So for someone who wants to build, not a year from now but, this year, it seems we are out of luck???? So it’s back to the Opal.

I had the Beulah opal surf and ended up selling it. It’s a very nice rod but lacks power to throw heavy lines and big flies in less than ideal conditions. Not a very strong backboned blank and can’t really throw more than 550-600 gr lines. I have a GLOomis specialized cross current that’s much better than the opal and  I just built one of Redgreens builds on the PAC Bay blank and it’s a beast. Throwing close to 700gr with authority. 

10 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

I had the Beulah opal surf and ended up selling it. It’s a very nice rod but lacks power to throw heavy lines and big flies in less than ideal conditions. Not a very strong backboned blank and can’t really throw more than 550-600 gr lines. I have a GLOomis specialized cross current that’s much better than the opal and  I just built one of Redgreens builds on the PAC Bay blank and it’s a beast. Throwing close to 700gr with authority. 

Only problem, from what I read, the PAC Bay blank is no longer available, unless you know of some. I did get some info from Mike in an email I have to check out, but just not sure I can go for the cost, even thought I would love to. Got some thinking to do. Could sell a couple things. 

North Fork Composites has a 1409 and a 1510. I bought the 1510 it's ribbed and unsanded and looks like a really fantastic blank. I'll get the common cents system numbers later.

I also think both these blanks are still considerably on sale.

Stay safe & sound ...

OK all youse 2H fishers - here’s this morning’s shelter-in-place work:

The NFC 15' 10wt (their code FASY 1510-4), measurers 15'. & needs 445.7 grams to bend down 5'. My AA rig gives it an AA of 77 - so according to RG calcs - ERN is 16.33.

Next, I did CCS tests for the blank at 10.84" from the tip. Now, 573.6 grams & an AA of under 70, but not the ideal of 64-60. And using my tortured spreadsheet, I get an ERN of  19.84

So maybe 14' 9" - I have to clean-up my AA setup - see pic ...5ec42e886be1c_AA2.jpg.ad06759db73ec5f2d67dfafbd816743d.jpg 

A much-twisted hair tie obscures the blank's new tip 

All - stay well & maintain that one-half rod distance on the beach

PS - an interesting post on AFFTA line wts & CCS for rods from the Epic rod builders.

10 hours ago, frazerp said:

North Fork Composites has a 1409 and a 1510. I bought the 1510 it's ribbed and unsanded and looks like a really fantastic blank. I'll get the common cents system numbers later.

I also think both these blanks are still considerably on sale.

Stay safe & sound ...

While I would like to have on of Mikes blanks, can’t happen now. I did order the 1409 from NFC and will give it a try for my first fly rod build,

Sorry M.O. another financial loss for youse guys in the UK.

And JoeSWFF, can you collaborate paying almost 1/2 list & is the 1409 also unsanded like the 1510 & does it measure 14' & maybe yr CCS #'s (& cut-back) should you do such.

Still working on R/Gs' version of the Pac Bay 1409 was 166.5" from which I cut 10.03" for 536.7 grams.

Later ...

Frazerp

No probs mate. 

Today Rolls Royce announced 9000 highly skilled workers will lose their jobs as commercial builders of aeroplanes do not need jet engines right now. That’s what hurts. Skilled men lost to our economy. I feel for every man and women who lose their jobs globally.

Man will bounce back. Let’s focus on that.

mikey

3 hours ago, frazerp said:

Sorry M.O. another financial loss for youse guys in the UK.

And JoeSWFF, can you collaborate paying almost 1/2 list & is the 1409 also unsanded like the 1510 & does it measure 14' & maybe yr CCS #'s (& cut-back) should you do such.

Still working on R/Gs' version of the Pac Bay 1409 was 166.5" from which I cut 10.03" for 536.7 grams.

Later ...

Only thing I can say, yes half price.   It will be a couple weeks before I can answer the other questions. Lists at 14 and I will cut her to RG specs.  Keep you posted.

I really think I may get one of these 15'10wt blanks while they're on sale right now. Don't need a rod for 650 grains like the 1409 would be, the 1510 cut to 14' would probably be a good match for 550 grains. For when I don't feel like throwing 750. Thanks for posting your feedback regarding these new NFC blanks guys, the final test for them is on the beach. Everything so far looks pretty good, they definitely have power behind them.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:15 PM, chicky said:

Any thoughts on the airflo original 2 hand line? Is it the gold standard for heavier rods? Just found a couple

Chicky, where. I'd be interested if there were any floating around! 

I put my Gloomis Crosscurrent Specialized 11ft 3” two hander up for sale in the classifieds. Have 550gr Rio Floating GT line Up as well. It’s the best factory two hand I have used but I use my carp rods and new pac bay build more and I have too many rods.