Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,165 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, frazerp said:

xp800 & Stripsetter - Greg's was where I bought my blank (best buy at the time), still unfinished since I wanted to go w/Red/Green's grips, but trying to keep my garage as clean as possible & it's still cold & rainy for dedicated outside work.

Stripsetter - going to go back & review your setup & may have a ?? or 2.

Y'all stay safe & sound ...

Feel free to ask whatever questions you have but Red green provided me in detail specs on the build and answered all of my questions. He did all the groundwork and would be the best source for help with this build.  I watched his YouTube vids “Syncork handles my way”and shaped my handle. This was the first fishing rod I have ever built and it came out ok. My wraps and epoxy could use some improvement on my next build but it was a great experience overall and I have the rod I was looking for that doesn’t exist from the factory. I did buy some basic rod building materials/tools/kit and a cork lathe. I also bought a bunch of different sized tip tops to find the perfect fit lol. 

Stripsetter if I'm honest your first build trumps mine for fit and finish. The first rod I built was riddled with aesthetic errors but it fished well, which is really all it has to do. You did an outstanding job especially for your first time building a rod with what is really a pretty unforgiving material to make handles out of. Fortunately once that's done you'll never have worry about it again as the handle is totally synthetic and will never need replacing.

Yes tip top sizing can be an annoyance. Even different blanks of the same exact model can have a different tip size. I bought a blank that measured a 6.5 tip top, bought replacement tips and they were all size 6. Same rod action and power. Moral of the story is only buy your tip tops when you have the blank in hand to measure. Don't trust the listing in a catalog or online it's almost always wrong.

I have a sneaking suspicion brought to me by another SoLer whose name I fail to recall that the NFC FASY1409-4 is the pac bay 14' 9wt mandrel sold to NFC for the manufacture of their own blanks. If I have the funds for it one day I would like to grab one of these blanks to see if the suspicion holds water as the supply of 14' 9wt quicklines seems to rapidly be drying up.

For anyone else looking, I am 99% certain that the 15' 10wt can be cut to 14' even and send 550 grains overhead with a lot of authority. It was my plan to buy one and do this until I got another of Mike's blanks. I still say his are the best, honestly the pac bays don't really compare. Fitment and quality bar none, and action that is truly perfectly fit for TH fly rodding in the salt. Love my 14' 13/14wt more than any other rod I own. Being to my knowledge the only one on the planet to have a rod built on this blank gives me a bit of pride I have to admit.

Also, for anyone else looking to build TH rods just dm me and I'll do what I can to help you out. Mike's done the shouting for years and I really feel the same as he does, but also that these rods are applicable really anytime you're fishing from shore and need to deliver long casts, fish big flies, fish for a long time without fatigue, and all of the above especially at night and in harsh weather. Doesn't matter where it is in the world. I'll be using my THers all the time in Florida after I move down there for snook, tarpon, redfish, whatever quarry I find where a TH rod would be an efficient tool to hunt them with.

I was the one that mentioned that both PacBay's & NFC's code was the same - FASY1409-4.

R/G & all, FYI - the 1510-4 is $121 US, shipped, tho they say 2-3 weeks - not sure that's an updated CV-19 prognosis.

PS: Both PB & NFC are located in WA & ~200 miles apart. I am somewhat partial to North Fork Composites since I ran a residential energy & building diagnostic company called North Fork Retrofit, and partnered a bit w/a company called Natural Florida Retrofit.

I'm meandering, it's CV-19 syndrome, so I'll get back to 'work' - y'all stay safe & sound ...

Chicky

Do you have the Intermediate and fast sink.

I have fished both in the 12 wt for over 12 years. Not the original line that wore out long ago.

The I line casts slightly better but fast sink is ok.

The major problem with both lines is the junction of the running line to the head. They come apart unexpectedly. The junction can be repaired if you know how to do this.

Junction issue aside they are good lines. Best show in town for a few years.

Very hard to find these days. If you find one snap,it up.

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Chicky

Do you have the Intermediate and fast sink.

I have fished both in the 12 wt for over 12 years. Not the original line that wore out long ago.

The I line casts slightly better but fast sink is ok.

The major problem with both lines is the junction of the running line to the head. They come apart unexpectedly. The junction can be repaired if you know how to do this.

Junction issue aside they are good lines. Best show in town for a few years.

Very hard to find these days. If you find one snap,it up.

Mike

I used them years ago with the Atlantis and after a break on the salt decided to bust out the rod again. I was going through a box of lines and came across 2 nib intermediate lines. Had never heard of the head issue but certainly it could happen

Chicky

Nice find. I purchased a number of these lines and sadly have to report that around four of them had the head seperate from the running line. Yes I have a few still.

I will look into seeing how to re join as otherwise the lines are good.

mike

I will keep this old thread alive by posting a followup on my own personal journey into the world of two handers for stripers in the salt. My first purchase was an Echo Classic switch 11' 6w (our bass and our winds in CA run lighter than those in New England). I bought it because I developed shoulder problems and it served its purpose: I was able to cast similar distances as I did with my one handers, but with much less effort and fatigue. After a year or two, my abilities and experience overtook the potential of that rod and I recently upgraded--just today. Upon the advice of forum members, I pulled the trigger on a used Ross Reach 12'6" 6w and paired it with an SA UST scandi head (400gr slow sink). This evening at sunset I walked down to the bay and gave her a spin... no fly, no leader, light tail wind. (Hey it was my first time ever casting a spey rod so I gave myself an advantage). The result was, for a man of modest skills, nothing short of spectacular. After flailing for a few minutes, I threw out my entire line for the first time in my life. And then did it again and again and again. Over 100' of line. I had taught myself the two hand oval cast or Belgian cast (I think) in one session, with the right rig. Thanks to @Killiefish for the gear tips--and others here. 

it is that simple.

take 9' spining rod and cast with one hand 6 hours.

take 9' spining rod and cast  with 2 hand's 6 hours.

it is same with fly rod.,onehanded and two handed.

2 hand operation  is beter performance with les work.

After re-reading this thread again after my time away from the salt, I really don’t see a decent overhead fast strong fly rod blank out there. I do hear allot of folks recommending Mikes blanks, discontinued blanks, Spey blanks. Being a new builder, but not a new 2 handler, it makes it tough. That’s why I bought and have used a beulah opal surf for the past years. I would love one of Mikes blanks but, their just not readily available. It really seems the right blanks are just not available. I had a chance to have one of Mikes blanks, can’t remember if it was last year or the year before, but a few problems arose so I really couldn’t go forward. Kicking myself now. So for someone who wants to build, not a year from now but, this year, it seems we are out of luck???? So it’s back to the Opal.

58 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Joe

Just to give you the heads up. They are available..Have been for some time.

Mike

I was hoping but, tried to contact you through your contact page on your rod website with out luck. I figured you were down and maybe not shipping now. Also on your website it is not  readable on my end. Was looking for specs and pricing. Maybe when you get a chance you could shoot me by pm some info once again.  Thanks,  Joe

4 mins ago, JoeSWFF said:

I was hoping but, tried to contact you through your contact page on your rod website with out luck. I figured you were down and maybe not shipping now. Also on your website it is not  readable on my end. Was looking for specs and pricing. Maybe when you get a chance you could shoot me by pm some info once again.  Thanks,  Joe

Joe,

Website issue is my fault. :(   Something I need to fix but thing have been extremely hectic the last few months.    I can PM you Mike's email if you don't have it any longer..... apologies for the confusion.

HT

8 mins ago, HillTop said:

Joe,

Website issue is my fault. :(   Something I need to fix but thing have been extremely hectic the last few months.    I can PM you Mike's email if you don't have it any longer..... apologies for the confusion.

HT

After you mentioned it I looked at my saved old emails.  If it hasn’t changed since 6/18 then I have it.   Let me know. I shoot him an email and check on pricing and shipping.   Thanks HT