Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,165 posts in this topic

Stripsetter, very nice.  Way better than mine, even after my second build.  Have you measured the IP?

Mike - The one I brought with me last spring was one of those Pac Bay builds (Redgreen's design, cut off at 13').  I checked and rechecked the IP, even measuring the weights on an analytical balance, and it came out around 735 gr (AA around 72 if I remember correctly).   Then, the one I just finished (literally, today) after losing the one I made last year came out with the exact same IP, even after redoing the measurement multiple ways.  The line I had on there when you saw it was about 715 gr.  I am pretty sure DantheBassMan tried it on the grass and, unless he was just being nice, found it very smooth with that line on it.  Not sure who else tried it.

Jason

I remember you messaging me about that Jason. Strange as my blank came to IP620 with AA70 IIRC. But others have also found what you did. Perhaps there's an error in my system for measuring blanks. Even so, they still work great for me, using my system, so I suppose that's job done anyways. Only way to know if I'm wrong is to check someone else's measurements with my setup.

I think it's possible I got lucky with long blanks twice in a row.  Both of them were within an inch of 14', so I was able to cut nearly a full foot off the tip.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jason

I think you did. But it does not surprise me at all. I have experienced this with blanks over many years. Sometimes it works for us and sometimes not.

The win was  Redgreen being prepared and having the guts to chop his blank.

Not sure if this blank is available currently which is a great pity.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

What are everyones thought on the Opal Surf twohanded rods for use for beach albies? Since there only two sizes the 10WT and the 12WT. Which one would be best?

58 mins ago, slacktide said:

What are everyones thought on the Opal Surf twohanded rods for use for beach albies? Since there only two sizes the 10WT and the 12WT. Which one would be best?

I had a Beulah opal surf 9/10 two hander and it’s a nice rod and casts 500-550 grain line decently but not with authority in surf conditions, wind, etc. I didn’t think It was powerful enough for big flies in wind or that I was casting much further than my single hand rods. I sold it because I preferred my cheap  carp rod conversions throwing 700-900 grain lines. Also I don’t think there is a 12wt. Maybe the opal would suit you chasing Albies with smaller flies. I did like it, just not enough.

I have the Atlantis 11’ 8/9 wt.  I like it for certain conditions, but i also have a 9 wt SH and my version of Redgreen’s 13’ pac bay build.  The Atlantis is the one I use the least, but could see where it might be a good choice on super calm dark nights where the heft and long heavy head on the 13’ provides less pay-off for me, given my skill level.

Took the new pac bay build out for some on water practice. No fish but I really like it. Wind at my back and I was casting almost the entire line. I was babying my casts as I have had a tendency to break rods lol but this rod has some power and backbone. More so than any factory two hand I’ve casted and a little less than my cheap carp rod builds. I’m casting a 25ft 575 gr skagit head with a 10 ft t11 mow tip so 685 gr . Thanks again Red for posting vids and providing specs and PM to answer all the questions I had! I’m gonna build a 2nd one I think 

On 4/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Stripsettter said:

Took the new pac bay build out for some on water practice. No fish but I really like it. Wind at my back and I was casting almost the entire line. I was babying my casts as I have had a tendency to break rods lol but this rod has some power and backbone. More so than any factory two hand I’ve casted and a little less than my cheap carp rod builds. I’m casting a 25ft 575 gr skagit head with a 10 ft t11 mow tip so 685 gr . Thanks again Red for posting vids and providing specs and PM to answer all the questions I had! I’m gonna build a 2nd one I think 

I been following along this post ..Do you know of anyone that still has these Pacbay blanks for sale ? I think it would be a fun build.

5 mins ago, xp800 said:

I been following along this post ..Do you know of anyone that still has these Pacbay blanks for sale ? I think it would be a fun build.

They are discontinued but Greg’s Customs was able to get from remaining stock. 

xp800 & Stripsetter - Greg's was where I bought my blank (best buy at the time), still unfinished since I wanted to go w/Red/Green's grips, but trying to keep my garage as clean as possible & it's still cold & rainy for dedicated outside work.

Stripsetter - going to go back & review your setup & may have a ?? or 2.

Y'all stay safe & sound ...