Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,165 posts in this topic

I got a NGT last year from China.  
very light weight and looked good for the money. You can’t buy rods like it for that kind of money around here. Not for 29 dollies .    They don’t package it to well.  When I got my rod the tip was broken . The ring was split. I put a new tip on it . They packaged it in bubble wrap. Seems ok now.  I didn’t use it yet but will soon 

Left it in Florida at my daughters house.  Don’t have to take it on the plane.    Big plus. 

I started with a Diawa Mad dragon carp rod, then a Diawa Emcast. Initially I just taped on my fly reel but ended up just removing and replacing reel seat and doing a cheap heat wrap and parachord handle and new stripper guide on the Emcast and it’s a beast.... chucks almost 900 grains with authority. 

I left the reel seat where it was , If I want in lower, I'll just tape one on and this way I  am able to use it with ways.  Some guys leave it forward and say they don't have a problem with it.  You get a custom to it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

I started with a Diawa Mad dragon carp rod, then a Diawa Emcast. Initially I just taped on my fly reel but ended up just removing and replacing reel seat and doing a cheap heat wrap and parachord handle and new stripper guide on the Emcast and it’s a beast.... chucks almost 900 grains with authority. 

Is that the Daiwa Emcast U.S. version spinning rod or European (carp)?   I have a couple of those (U.S.) that cost ~$85 each.  Very stiff rods.   High carbon density, stiff tips.  I think they are labeled 3-6 oz and 3-8 oz for the 11' and 12' MH rods, respectively.  They are 2 piece.  The handles are foam and one can easily cut it away (6-8in section) and create a new taped-on reel seat or heat shrink it on.  Metal locking Fuji reel seat is only $5-6.  Mount it so that the new reel seat is downlocking not uplocking.  Final wrap it with nylon paracord. The actual weight throwing capacity of the rods is not as heavy as marked.  I'd say the 11' is ~2-4 oz and the 12' is ~2.5-5oz.  The weight of these rods as factory rods is a bit heavy but not too much.   Replacing guides on the 11' is optional, but the 12' rod needs some additional weight reduction measures to be used effectively as a THOH fly rod.  Keeping the original guides on the rod one could use it as both a spin and fly rod.  I may do this with my 11' rod, like I did with a 5 piece Diawa Ardito.

Edited by Killiefish
Both are labeled 3-6 oz

26 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Is that the Daiwa Emcast U.S. version spinning rod or European (carp)?   I have a couple of those (U.S.) that cost ~$85 each.  Very stiff rods.   High carbon density, stiff tips.  I think they are labeled 3-6 oz and 3-8 oz for the 11' and 12' MH rods, respectively.  They are 2 piece.  The handles are foam and one can easily cut it away (6-8in section) and create a new taped-on reel seat or heat shrink it on.  Metal locking Fuji reel seat is only $5-6.  Mount it so that the new reel seat is downlocking not uplocking.  Final wrap it with nylon paracord. The actual weight throwing capacity of the rods is not as heavy as marked.  I'd say the 11' is ~2-4 oz and the 12' is ~2.5-5oz.  The weight of these rods as factory rods is a bit heavy but not too much.   Replacing guides on the 11' is optional, but the 12' rod needs some additional weight reduction measures to be used effectively as a THOH fly rod.  Keeping the original guides on the rod one could use it as both a spin and fly rod.  I may do this with my 11' rod, like I did with a 5 piece Diawa Ardito.

It’s the Emcast Carp 12ft, 2.75 TC two piece rod. I did cut off the reel seat and grips and then put a new reel seat about 7 or so inches from butt and did a parachord wrap and heat shrink tube grip and a new stripper guide. It’s heavy to cast continually for hours but I manage. I’m going to try the pac bay blank too as I wait for a manufacturer to actually make a suitable rod for us.

21 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

It’s the Emcast Carp 12ft, 2.75 TC two piece rod. I did cut off the reel seat and grips and then put a new reel seat about 7 or so inches from butt and did a parachord wrap and heat shrink tube grip and a new stripper guide. It’s heavy to cast continually for hours but I manage. I’m going to try the pac bay blank too as I wait for a manufacturer to actually make a suitable rod for us.

Thanks.   I'm wondering if the blanks are similar/same between the two.  Any chance you could weigh the top section of that 12' rod and report back.  I can do the same with mine.  The lower section is going to be much different because of the handle configs and also your mods.

On 2/3/2020 at 0:49 PM, matt_man said:

Any users of the NGT 11 ft 2.75lb willing to comment on what lines you have used?

i use 

Rio shooting line 0.035" intermediate

Rio shooting head 725 grain

T-14 10' =170 grain

this is your refrence,go on web take a look line and write that down.

now you can search for simular line.

2 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Thanks.   I'm wondering if the blanks are similar/same between the two.  Any chance you could weigh the top section of that 12' rod and report back.  I can do the same with mine.  The lower section is going to be much different because of the handle configs and also your mods.

Damn was tough to separate the sections! Had to ice it.

top piece weighed in at 2oz exactly.

On 2/3/2020 at 0:49 PM, matt_man said:

Any users of the NGT 11 ft 2.75lb willing to comment on what lines you have used?

I tried an 11 ft NGT Dynamic Travel Carp rod 2.75lb and used a 27 ft 640 grain Skagit Floating head with a 100 grain 10ft sink tip (10 ft tip from a 12 wt mix and match shooting head system made from 12 wt DT lines).  So that’s about 740 grains and the rod threw it no problem with no wind but it felt a tad awkward with wind in blowing southwest which was 45 degree clockwise from directly in my face and in late November and early December I didn’t have good conditions to evaluate the rod and line fully since when I went out it was pitch dark, the surf was wicked wild and my ungloved hands were freezing cold. I tried to build a handle with friction tape, Wrap Fix (also called vulcanizing tape or self sealing silicone tape) and a Fuji flat plate reel seat but all the taping (covered original reel seat) was two heavy so I removed it and retired the rig for the year.  Stripsetter, can you elaborate on how to do a paracord wrap with a covering of heat shrink tubing?

50 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Stripsetter, can you elaborate on how to do a paracord wrap with a covering of heat shrink tubing?

I just bought some black and also black and red shrink tube lengths and some parachord. Did cross wraps with the parachord directly to the blank after I removed the original grips, epoxied in place, let dry and then slipped the shrink tubes over it and shrunk it with a heat gun. Very quick and easy and great grip when lifting and chucking such heavy lines. I have a St Croix legend surf rod which has the same type of grip and it’s great. 

C19141CF-428B-4DE8-9BDC-BF2536246CF1.jpeg.9d8deb649bcd42e7beca9d1a03ac2da1.jpeg

19 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Thanks Stripsetter, good job

Thanks...It ain’t pretty but gets the job done lol.  I did another on a heavier carp rod with just a black wrap handle but the rod is 3.0 TC and kind of a beast to wield with a 900 grain line. That’s when I ask myself if I’m really still “Fly Fishing”?

I just received a Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper 12wt floating line for my CND Atlantis 11'1" 11/12wt rod.  I've been using a floating Rio 13wt shooting head and some cheap 12wt floating and intermediate lines (supposedly repackaged Airflo lines) from England. I've got two other rods I use for two-handed casting, so I'll use those lines with the rods that cast them best.

I'm really eyeing those posts on heavier homemade two handed rods, waiting to see which gets the best reviews for casting in heavier weather. In my opinion, the snottier the weather, the better. I do very well surfcasting with spinning rods in that weather, but would LOVE a fly rod that can reliably cast into a halfway decent wind. 

I am either a terrible two handed caster or my tackle sucked  but I was dwarfed by spin fishermen casting  tin and teasers in the surf on the south shore of Long Island in late November early December, fishing into surf and 10-20 knot head winds (humble estimate of wind speed), who were catching schoolies by casting out beyond breaking waves into relatively calmer waters. My pathetic 60 ft casts, at best, found no action but maybe the surf was too rough for the bait or they weren’t in close or maybe I should have used a full sinking head instead of a floater with a sink tip. Who knows?