Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

938 posts in this topic

Onfirst sequence where Andrew Moy does an oval cast 1 Drift can be considered as Drift too but it is needed to make the Oval back cast line loop coming reversed.

1B. and 2B. are called Translation or Drag which makes line tight but also slightly increase setup kinetic energy which is beneficial to heavier rod. When caster moves whole body it is best done this phase too.

3B begins the rotation and 4B is finish.

Esa

Finally got big fly videos done and uploaded. 

My casting technique is not perfect, far from it, but you get the idea. Basically it is exactly the same as your typical three movement cast except you cannot effectively aerial roll a big fly. Instead, you go right into the backcast after the unplugging movement, false cast, back cast, and shoot. Sometimes you will need one extra false cast. You have to shoot line fore and aft to get the cast away quickly. It is even more critical to get a straight clean back cast with these flies because they take a lot more line energy to cast than even a 6-7" deceiver type fly. 

The fly in this video is on a 7/0 monster worm hook and a full 13" long. A big chartreuse/yellow/white bunker fly. Line delivering it is 550 grains. It worked better than I expected but the more weight the better, and you need a SERIOUSLY powerful rod to match it. When these flies get wet the weight they add to the cast is significant. If your rod is even slightly overloaded you will have a bad time. You need line speed and lots of it. A slow cast will not deliver these flies very well especially into a headwind. 

A faster sinking head is harder to start the cast with but ends up further more easily because of reduced air resistance. I can throw my 13" musky flies which are VERY heavily dressed past 100' with my 750 grain rod and a type 5 or faster sinking head. 

Friends,

Last spring on Cape Cod, some of you saw my version of Redgreen’s PacBay 13’ build.  Consensus seemed to be that I had done a decent job with the build, thanks in large part to guidance and advice from Mike Oliver and Redgreen.

So, last night, after catching stripers on a Rhode Island beach under a 12-14 knot breeze in the forward quarter of my casting side, I was cruising home on US1, and began scheming for some time off of work to hit what I’ve been preparing for all along: wetsuit fishing a November run of decent stripers and gator blues.  At that moment, i looked up through my windshield and noticed my rod WAS NOT THERE ON THE ROOF RACK!  Yes, folks, I put it on the rack but neglected to strap it down.  After much searching, it’s gone, totally gone, reel, custom line, and all.  I am not the sort who owns five versions of every piece of fishing gear, so this is a real bummer.  I am back to the SH 9 wt that caused 8 months of elbow problems for me last year.  

Damn !

Damn !

Moving on and getting to the point, I’ll be bugging those who will listen once again for tips and advice on another painstaking build, if I can find the time and stomach the thought of doing it again.

J.

2 mins ago, JfromRI said:

Friends,

Last spring on Cape Cod, some of you saw my version of Redgreen’s PacBay 13’ build.  Consensus seemed to be that I had done a decent job with the build, thanks in large part to guidance and advice from Mike Oliver and Redgreen.

So, last night, after catching stripers on a Rhode Island beach under a 12-14 knot breeze in the forward quarter of my casting side, I was cruising home on US1, and began scheming for some time off of work to hit what I’ve been preparing for all along: wetsuit fishing a November run of decent stripers and gator blues.  At that moment, i looked up through my windshield and noticed my rod WAS NOT THERE ON THE ROOF RACK!  Yes, folks, I put it on the rack but neglected to strap it down.  After much searching, it’s gone, totally gone, reel, custom line, and all.  I am not the sort who owns five versions of every piece of fishing gear, so this is a real bummer.  I am back to the SH 9 wt that caused 8 months of elbow problems for me last year.  

Damn !

Damn !

Moving on and getting to the point, I’ll be bugging those who will listen once again for tips and advice on another painstaking build, if I can find the time and stomach the thought of doing it again.

J.

Wow J,   So sorry to hear that.    More than a bummer for sure.    If there can be a bright side the season is just about finished so not as bad as if it happened a couple of months ago but not much consolation either.    If you enjoyed the last build then something to look forward to this winter.    I still have another Mike O blank I need to build that I've had since the spring that I've yet to start so looking forward to that this winter.    Good chance to correct or improve your technique..... look for a silver lining.

HT

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jason,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about that. Bummer is one word for it for sure though I know I'd have a lot more colorful ones for it. Damn. That really hurts. 

I'd of course be more than willing to help out with the next build and do whatever I can. I don't post much really anymore but I'm reading most posts and readily available if you need me. 

Edit:

I somehow didn't read the line where you said you forgot to strap it down. That really really hurts. 

Really sorry for your loss Jason. 

Edited by RedGreen

JfromRI I know how ya feel because I lost over a grand in equipment from a defective roof rack. I am a  neophyte when it comes to DH overhead flyrodding  but on Esa's  suggestion I purchased a 11 FT  NGT dynamic travel carp rod. I haven't rebuilt it yet so I am still using the stock carps guides but added a Fuji plate type reel seat and made a makeshift handle with some foam covering the reel seat and build up wraps of friction tape with a final wrap of self fusing silicone tape. Works good with a cheap Chinese 640 grain Skagit head and a 40  lb Berkeley Big Game mono shooting line. So you could get back in the game cheap and quickly for the fall fishing and use it until you build a better one or maybe you might like it and rebuild it with a decent handle and fly guides. Might even splurge for an Alvey reel and chuck the shooting basket and find out for myself if Alveys cause unacceptable line twists.

J,  that is an awful situation.  My friend and I lost gear overboard this season but got very lucky.  My friend hired a commercial diver and they found all our gear after being under water for 48 hours.  I was hoping you were going to find it as I read through your story.  

Thanks all, and thanks for the quick fix suggestion flyrad10.  Gannets are already over head here in Rhode Island and air temp was 34 F on the beach today, but I've seen bass seasons continue here into December.  Either way, looks like I'll be doing without the TH option until I can build another one this winter. 

J.