Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,092 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Oakman said:

No time to tie flies, study casting, make videos, or fish!

Right there with ya bro. 

Amen.... tipping my next Lagunitas to you my brother in arms.....  :) 

8 hours ago, HillTop said:

So what does this leave for the old and still working,   (though happily married, in case she's snooping)

No yard jobs. No supermarket shopping. No day care three times a week for your grand kids. No house  Re modelling . You can’t clock out only in.

And you have all this to dream about whilst in stressful all consuming work .

And still people ask us why we fish.

oly

10 hours ago, Oakman said:

They are indeed, it is scary.  I suppose they will also see the next wave at the water's edge,  while we teeter on the brush line.

Time will tell, we still have a few tricks left.

We sure do and we had better keep them sleeved until needed.

In just about a year these young Guns have turned the table. I was helping them and now I go to them for help and advice.

In the natural world this is how it should be. Sometimes I smile at it at other times it’s painful.

Heh Red this ain’t about catching fish on this thread it’s about  casting. 

Oly

14 hours ago, Oakman said:

Ah to be young and single. . .

Or old and retired. . .

You can always do what I do: Never Sleep and drink so much coffee your veins run black.  But I agree if I could go all out like a single guy it would be ideal.  I have to manage my sleep very closely to make sure I am functional for work and kids.  That means fishing trips are rarely longer than 3 hours of fishing and I am fortunate stripers live 6 mins or less from my house.  So I keep all my fishing spots a 25 minute or less drive from home.  I would be awesome if I could fish full 6 hour tides again, but I don't see those days coming for another 10-18 years.

I work 50-60 hrs per week depending on pace at work and I have a 2 and 4 year old.  Those are my priorities.  I have fished two days between 6am and 10pm for striped bass this year.  The other 35 trips have been between 10pm to 6am.  Should get 2 more trips in to finish July at 39 striper fishing trips.  I do get in a decent amount of daylight fishing trips they are all bluegill pond trips with my son Jack and Isabelle should be old enough to start taking her too next summer.

In my single days I did overnight and multi-day back-country trips.  I really miss the solitude and finding unmolested fish, but striper fishing is fun so no complaints on my current situation.  I am hopeful in the distant future one of my kids will be into fishing enough to take them on a cool back-country trip.  But we will see if that comes to pass or not.  

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

You can always do what I do: Never Sleep and drink so much coffee your veins run black.  But I agree if I could go all out like a single guy it would be ideal.  I have to manage my sleep very closely to make sure I am functional for work and kids.  That means fishing trips are rarely longer than 3 hours of fishing and I am fortunate stripers live 6 mins or less from my house.  So I keep all my fishing spots a 25 minute or less drive from home.  I would be awesome if I could fish full 6 hour tides again, but I don't see those days coming for another 10-18 years.

I have done this and am coming back to a schedule that will allow for it, 30 minutes is my closest fishable water, so it's doable.  Now if the fishery will cooperate. . .  

But back to the casting!  

10 mins ago, Oakman said:

I have done this and am coming back to a schedule that will allow for it, 30 minutes is my closest fishable water, so it's doable.  Now if the fishery will cooperate. . .  

But back to the casting!  

The fishery cooperating has been quite a challenge even with all that time on water.  Lots of skunks this year.  Had a 7 straight skunk streak hard to justify not sleeping when those are the results.

i use rio cold water series shooting line,saltwater 0.035in Int,

powerflex shooting line-blue tint,

when i cast i have all shooting head out 1' from tip,i was casting with 5' shooting head inside the guides i did not like that.

my best and easiest cast is when the shooting head is all out 1' from tip,this way i do roll cast,back and forward.i do not feed line back,i try that more complicated for me and i do not gain distance.

17 hours ago, snag777 said:

i think we should figure lenght off shooting head to the rod.

my rod is 12' shooting head 23' and 10' T-14 and 6' mono,it work good standing on shore.

posible 11/2 leght off rod would be proper lenght off shooting head.

You need to count tip length to line head as well and perhaps half of the leadertoo and then fly size has big effect and big fly is better to cast using shorter head.

Naturally fly fishing setup is always a compromise where line has biggest effect. Casting also has big effect but rod has very little until it becomes much too light for the line.

Esa

3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

The fishery cooperating has been quite a challenge even with all that time on water.  Lots of skunks this year.  Had a 7 straight skunk streak hard to justify not sleeping when those are the results.

Not the same fishery but I'm in the middle of one of those too. Trying hard to figure out musky fly fishing from shore in my local waters. Very much on my own. 

26 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Not the same fishery but I'm in the middle of one of those too. Trying hard to figure out musky fly fishing from shore in my local waters. Very much on my own. 

Very cool!  Best of luck hope to see a "success" post later this year.  Finding big fish on foot no matter the fishery is a challenge.

In these five photos I am overhead casting just under 55g (848gr) shooting head using 15ft TH prototype and now I have proof myself being wrong when selecting too stiff tip action TH rods ;) I still do cast Tailing Loops and I think it is because I can't accelerate long enough and rod straightens too early and line path rise which shows on fourth photo. Also sagged line path shows although this was one of the better casts. Perhaps I can fix TL not rising hands too early or beginning casting stroke higher above head?

Esa

1B.png

1,5B.png

2B.png

2,5B.png

3B.png

Edited by crunch

On 7/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, HillTop said:

Amen.... tipping my next Lagunitas to you my brother in arms.....  :) 

FYI so far the two top water flies with pyrex rattles have broken and i have remade the tail four times this season.  The one fly I made with your home made rattle has a functioning rattle 12 weeks into the season.  Those rattles are top notch!

51 mins ago, crunch said:

In these three photos I am overhead casting just under 55g (848gr) shooting head using 15ft TH prototype and now I have proof myself being wrong when selecting too stiff tip action TH rods ;)

Esa

1B.png

2B.png

3B.png

Could you explain please, what is the proof?  I have no idea what I'm looking at.

9 mins ago, Oakman said:

Could you explain please, what is the proof?  I have no idea what I'm looking at.

It was easier for me to cast and I did longer casts almost immediately than using any of my other TH rods which have much faster/tip actions. Perhaps it has too full/slow action but I went to extreme because I wanted to really see the effect?

Esa