Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

Rate this topic

1,100 posts in this topic

Wait, what? Fishing in circumstances where occasional participation in rescues is expected? Those days are over for me.  If that weren't the case, I'd still be rock hopping in the dark with home made Danny plugs.

Only about twice in ten years. One guy was a total tool Who just kept walking out on the flat until he floated away with the current the other one was a friend who made one unlucky step too far and got washed off the flat. He will not make same mistake twice.

But he was in a wet suit. Even without the help from the Kayaker he would not have got into very serious trouble. We do risk assessment. My rule is if you can’t self extract then you should not be doing it if crap happens.

I am not so happy on platform rocks anymore. For me they are real killers. 

Its all good.

Oly

8 hours ago, HillTop said:

Red,

I bought a wetsuit  two years ago for fishing with Mike and the guys on the Barnstable flats.  It's a pretty big investment.  It's a great advantage as you can wade out much earlier and stay later than the wader guys.    Also aids in buoyancy  and that was helpful for one of our group that got swept out into the flats roaring rip channel on one trip.   He quickly had to shed his jacket, stripping basket rod and reel before a kayaker local to us was able to rescue him.  All items were committed to the deep.   Hate to think of the outcome if he were wearing waders.  

That said I brought along the wetsuit last year but didn't use it.  With the increase in shark population with two attacked and one dying it makes one reevaluate one's options and I figure there are plenty of fish to be caught without wading too deep.  I think my money might have been better spent on an inflatable life vest or for other fishing gear.

HT

PS:   Saw you at the Edison show with your girlfriend.   Wanted to say high but you looked like a man on a mission cruising by at a pretty good speed and I was going the opposite way, late to a seminar.... see you in the spring maybe.

Thinking the same thing HT about a life preserver. Wading deep with sharks in the water bothers me so not sure a full wetsuit is the most economic choice for me right now. I'm only at the cape for a week tops anyways. 

I had no idea you were at the show! You probably caught me in the afternoon as I was hunting for Gunnar Brammer to talk about some fly design but I had to leave very soon so I was rushing. I would have loved to say hi and chat for a bit. Next time stop me and say something!

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Only about twice in ten years. One guy was a total tool Who just kept walking out on the flat until he floated away with the current the other one was a friend who made one unlucky step too far and got washed off the flat. He will not make same mistake twice.

But he was in a wet suit. Even without the help from the Kayaker he would not have got into very serious trouble. We do risk assessment. My rule is if you can’t self extract then you should not be doing it if crap happens.

I am not so happy on platform rocks anymore. For me they are real killers. 

Its all good.

Oly

Good to hear that, Mike.  

On 1/26/2019 at 0:05 PM, RedGreen said:

Mike

I know we talked lots about a custom 17'er a nominal 14wt instead of 13/14, but I think before I decide on that I'm going to try and track down and spend some time fishing a T&T 1611 like Jim used, just to see how I like the length before we go through the expensive process of custom rolling a blank. 

You might want to try a modern competition spey casting rod.  They are stiff and powerful, built for power and distance, not off-the-shelf fishing rods.  They have strong tip sections needed for control (the T&T has a lighter tip) and take ~1000 grains for spey casts.  These competition guys are serious and often upgrade their kits.  A “rod wanted” post on a popular speycasting website will likely yield offers, just specify the stiffest rod you can find.  

I have spent time speycasting 15-18’ rods.  For me, I personally feel that I can more consistently get punchy rod tip and line speed with the 15’ length.  18’ is massive and pretty hard to move without serious time.   

Video below of Greg Bencivenga, just happened to be on YouTube.  Likely a 15’ rod and ~65’ head.  

SSPEY

Yes when I was at world Comps August past the competitors had some serious kit. A lot of it was custom at their own hands. These guys not afraid to mix and match.

I picked up SMS ‘s 18 foot special comp Daiwa and I just wondered how these guys manage to move them through the air. 

Mike

I got my Carp rod today.  Had it sent to Florida.   When I open the package the tip top was smashed.    Came from the UK I can see that.  They. Don’t protect the ends to well when shipping ?   But other than that it looks great  nice rod for the money. Very light .  So I put another tip top on and I have to go try it out.  

41 mins ago, ccb said:

I got my Carp rod today.  Had it sent to Florida.   When I open the package the tip top was smashed.    Came from the UK I can see that.  They. Don’t protect the ends to well when shipping ?   But other than that it looks great  nice rod for the money. Very light .  So I put another tip top on and I have to go try it out.  

What rod was it and how long did it take to arrive?

Hi Fellow Fishermans!

Now we know little bit more about the trip. We have made reservations for 3 nights, from Provincetown. We have bossibilities to stay about two days longer at Cape Cod, maybe other location, but let see what happens. And we are coming to a Cape`s 25.09.

What i`ve been reading posts, mainly you are wading quite deep, with wet suit...which i dont have. And like some of the you guys, i dont want to be mouth of the sharks, so i`m going to wade less/not so deep.

All the help about the locations, where to fish, would be nessessary and welcome. I was thinking that maybe i go to a mouth of the Herring river? When tide is going out, it could be nice location to try to catch

I do want to go to flats but if i didn`t missunderstood anything, i have to wade deep?

Then about casting, equipments etc...i`ve read that you are using heavy skagits, like 600 grains and heavier...is it because big flies? Strong wind? Because lot of guys are using single handed rods, like #8 - 10...compering to a strong dh rod with 600 - 750 grain skagit feels like...overgunned?

Latelu i have been testing Gaelforce rods / Gaelforce destination rods ( destination rods seems to be little bit stiffer/stronger then 4-pc Gaelforce rods ). There you might find quite good choises for a salt water fishing? I have been testing 11`9” #8/9 Destination ( 6-pc ) rod and it feels very good, i like it a lot, but it might be too light for the salt water fishing in Cape Cod? It can handle skagits near 390 - 450 grain when overhead casting + tip. And quite easily i can cast with it around 85 feet casts...longest ones are over 100 feet long ones ( overhead casts and using not so big flies, wind is coming from behind. When using SA-casts, then casting little bit shorter

I think i`m able to change the rod to a 12`9” Destination rod...it is with stiffer tip and more power on it, but this 11`9” rod fits to me very well and to my general fishing, purposes + i love it :)

And about skagits...you are using floating skagits? Even day time? Because i was thinking to buy Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan Full Intermediate #11 fly line to a rod. But if floating skagit is better choise for a striper fishing, even day time, then i`m going to buy skagits.

Every tip, every hint is very welcome. And if i could do fishing trip with you guys, it would be super :)

Best regards!

Jukka

Finland