Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

482 posts in this topic

Besides the TFO Pandion and Beulah Opal Surf, are there any other “factory” rods that are recommended? I’ve been fishing the BeulAh Opal 9/10 with 500-550 gr lines and like that it’s a shorter rod, it casts well but I’m looking to try something else.  Would consider 1pc customs as well. If anyone has any suggestions.

4 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

Besides the TFO Pandion and Beulah Opal Surf, are there any other “factory” rods that are recommended? I’ve been fishing the BeulAh Opal 9/10 with 500-550 gr lines and like that it’s a shorter rod, it casts well but I’m looking to try something else.  Would consider 1pc customs as well. If anyone has any suggestions.

I have longest Pandion and I think it is not worth its cost because it is too long and bit too soft.

If you wan't to build yourself the NGT Dynamic Travel Carp 11ft 2,75lb 4pc is very goog buy. I have now bought five of them when I found out they fit inside my suitcase as their section length is 880mm and if needed they can be cut bit shorter. It is great casting 700gr line and even 800gr line head is not too heavy so it is great when big fly is needed and when casting to strong head wind. They are about £25 in eBay. Postage here in europe was £13 for first so I bought few extra because they practically shipped free. Sometimes goods are shipped using eBay organized methos and has been only few dollars from "that side of pond" but I don't understand why some are and some aren't?

Then there is possibility to TH cast using a SH rod which has a fighting butt. When overlined heavily they perform unbelievable good and casting is light. There are shorter than Switch rods which have longer bottom handles. TFO Esox is one and there is or will be a Loomis and I think Echo has one too. Meiser has more 9'9'' to choose. Line head needs to be shorter when rod is shorter but many seem to like short heads these days anyway. It is the line weight which defines the performance. Rod length has very little effect until longer line head is cast which longer rod makes possible and then there begins to come longer casts.

Esa

Posted (edited)

Many guys are reluctant to venture beyond 11 feet which is a great pity.

We lose many of the added benefits of a TH when we go short.

Mending  is one and casting distance the other.

Very short TH Out Front I see very little point in.

To know you have to do. So it’s good to get some time in even with a borrowed rod that maybe is  not 100% suitable so you understand the requirements and can make a more learned choice when it comes to deciding what rod is right for you.

If you dont do this then it’s all about pontification and listening to the opinions of others who maybe are  just repeating the opinions of others to. This happens a lot with TH fly rodding Out Front. It must do as you see precious few of us out there. LOL.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

8 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

Never tried, or even held one, but G Loomis CrossCurrent Specialized.  I think they categorize them as a 2 handed overhead beach rods.

Mike

I think the hardest thing to do with a 14' 2 hand rod is to land the fish?   Thats why they stay away from them.

51 mins ago, ccb said:

Mike

I think the hardest thing to do with a 14' 2 hand rod is to land the fish?   Thats why they stay away from them.

It depends on the rod to an extent. Even still, there are techniques to land any fish with any length rod. What I do is pull the fish towards me, then all of a sudden let go of the line, swing the rod around, grab the line as it gets closer to me, and hand line them in. Safe, effective. I can land fish with my 12 footer from a jetty just fine like this. I can't high stick and bring them in because the tip on my rod is so fast and soft that it would just snap it right off. With a stiffer tip and a more moderate action it's a lot safer to do that. 

Beaching is still the safest and most reliable method though. It's just a bit inconvenient depending on where you're standing at the time. 

Loomis Crosscurrent came in 9/10 and 11/12 both 11' 3" designed for use with original Rio Outbound 10 and 12 weight lines which you can't get anymore. I have used both and they will put a long line out in the right hands but I would prefer them about a foot or so longer. Scott made a 12' 6" #9 which was a great rod. CTS make blanks which you can have custom modified like have +2 on the butt etc. Have not used anything by CTS so no idea what they are like. While I have fished out front I have never encountered serious onshore winds.

Landing fish on a longer TH rod in my view is a head for the shore job where you just beach them and pick them up. Fishing waist deep or in Mike's case neck deep a 1/2 mile out on the flats would be a problem but that is not really the place for the long rod anyway.

9 mins ago, essexalan said:

. Fishing waist deep or in Mike's case neck deep a 1/2 mile out on the flats would be a problem but that is not really the place for the long rod anyway.

With his wet suit he looks like a seal,  He could hand feed them with a hand line.

1 hour ago, ccb said:

Mike

Bob,

Really not too much more difficult.   You have to be willing to dunk your reel and then that simplifies the task immensely as you can walk your hand down the butt section of the rod to get a better vantage point.    My reel swims often  (but not often enough :) if you know what I mean )

HT

Posted (edited)

Again we see Imagined probs from guys who maybe just don’t fish long rods.

I can state with certainty that landing a large fish  with a long TH fly rod is no more fraught than it is with a single hand 9 footer.

Mostly these claims must come from single hand rod Users as no one I know who fishes a TH has ever expressed the view that it’s a tough thing to do.

As previously commented upon just go out and do it then you will know.

One our  Cape Cod group has. Loomis TH rod maybe he will chime in.

You need grains and power in reserve and a bit of length comes in handy to.  

Strange how for  the ocean short TH are deemed to be ok yet our fresh water breatherin routinely use 14 and 15 footers in the confines of rivers.

Go figure or better still go try and go fish.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I used my  Meiser 13' 7 wt last night for the first time.  Had it set up with the a 350 commando head and 12' t 11 tip.  Once I figured out the load, it was casting overhead very nicely

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Bob,

Really not too much more difficult.   You have to be willing to dunk your reel and then that simplifies the task immensely as you can walk your hand down the butt section of the rod to get a better vantage point.    My reel swims often  (but not often enough :) if you know what I mean )

HT

yep.I know what you mean.  

7 hours ago, essexalan said:

Scott made a 12' 6" #9 which was a great rod. 

There's one in the BST forum right now I believe, the Scott LS2 12'6"9wt. I'd have picked it up myself if it weren't so similar to the rod I built. 

Just an FYI for anyone following the thread.

8 hours ago, RedGreen said:

It depends on the rod to an extent. Even still, there are techniques to land any fish with any length rod. What I do is pull the fish towards me, then all of a sudden let go of the line, swing the rod around, grab the line as it gets closer to me, and hand line them in. Safe, effective. I can land fish with my 12 footer from a jetty just fine like this. I can't high stick and bring them in because the tip on my rod is so fast and soft that it would just snap it right off. With a stiffer tip and a more moderate action it's a lot safer to do that. 

Beaching is still the safest and most reliable method though. It's just a bit inconvenient depending on where you're standing at the time. 

Great post RedG! :th: :th: :th: :th: :th: