Theflyguy

Two hand rods for the salt

482 posts in this topic

Hey I am fairly new to the two hand world and am curious what most of you guys use in the beaches for stripers? I know about grain weights but am still working that out per rod. So I do fine with my 7 wt 12.6 with around 450ish grains when it’s not too windy. I am looking to get two more Spey/switch rods this season one a 4 wt for trout which I might make a different post for and a heavier rod for the surf then my 7 for windy days and who knows maybe even good days. Just looking to see what you guys are running rod weight and grain wait of line. As we all know the two hand line game can get exspensive. So maybe a list of you guys set ups could help me narrow down what I am looking for. 

Here's my kit:

Rod:

North Fork Composites SA 1235-2, a blank which I built into a dedicated overhead casting rod for the beach. A decent commercially available rod is the TFO pandion 9wt. We don't have many very good out front overhead double handers commercially available. The best ones have been built from blanks. I'd be very surprised if Mike Oliver didn't comment in on this, as he's the TH guru here. 

Reel:

Lamson Liquid 4 (I wanted the remix HD in the same size but funds were short). 

Lines:

Scientific Anglers Ultimate Scandi Taper shooting heads, Float, hover/intermediate, and sink 5, all 8/9 wt (525 grains). They work fantastic, never felt a need for anything else.  I use a floating running line for my floating shooting head, and intermediate running lines for everything else. They're standard fly running lines, much easier to handle than mono in rough surf, and less stretch too. 

I fish a Beulah Opal 7/8 with a 450gr. Serum integrated line. They do make this rod in a 9/10 also which does have the gut for when the wind is a factor.  The 7/8 does all that I need and is fun to cast to boot.

I have tried my sage one 7126 in the surf and it never felt right. I tried several lines and never got it dialed in.  It is amazing for skagit. I know lots of people that use switch rods and they seem great. I broke down and got an opal 7/8  just for the surf. My guess is a switch or true surf/beach rod are the way to go. 

57 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

RedGreen.

Cant really comment as it would break the rules.

Mike

What would be breaking the rules? Serious question 

3 hours ago, Theflyguy said:

What would be breaking the rules? Serious question 

Mike Oliver has worked for many many years to develop his own line of TH rod blanks which he uses exclusively. To be talking about his kit in detail would be to a degree "selling" his product on a part of the forum where selling products is not allowed.

Mike please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the facts.

Oh ok I get that but being the you are TH guru any input would be much appreciated into a heavier striper set up. Maybe not your set up but one you would recommend?

Posted (edited)

40 mins ago, Theflyguy said:

Oh ok I get that but being the you are TH guru any input would be much appreciated into a heavier striper set up. Maybe not your set up but one you would recommend?

I can't speak for Mike but I seem to remember that there isn't any TH rod on the market that he is overly impressed with, only some better than others.   That's the reason he had spent more then 10 years in developing and fine tuning his own design.    A design to allow him to do what he loves best, TH fly fishing out front on the outer beaches in, (to coin another), "snotty" conditions.   That's when fishing can be at it's best.     I'm very fortunate to have built one of Mike's 12'9" designs and I have to say it's a pure joy to cast.     After I finished my build Mike assisted in a day or two of lessons to get me up to speed and I was easily casting 1-1/2 to 2 times what I could have cast with my SH in like conditions.     Mike has both a 12'9" design in two different actions as well as a 14' option.      I don't know anyone who has cast one that wasn't impressed with their performance.

For me one of the nicest side benefits of fishing in windy conditions that would have made me call it a day with the SH is the fact that within a days time I taught myself to cast from the left side  (I'm naturally a righty caster).  Much easier to cast from the opposite side with a TH rod.    I was very quickly casting equi-distant with the left and sometimes things just clicked and my casts were better lefty than righty.   Wind over my right shoulder no longer had me looking to change locations,   I just change up and went to the opposite side.

If you're serious about "Out Front" beach TH fishing and if you ever have the opportunity to visit the Cape while Mike is on this side of the pond you owe to yourself to look him up and take a look for yourself.   You won't be disappointed.   I'll be building my second Oliver TH'der this fall.... can't wait.

HT

Edited by HillTop

Sounds interesting. Maybe mike if you could pm me would that be against the rules ? I live in Maine and don’t know a lot of two hand guys except the guy that got me into it Alan. 

7 mins ago, ccb said:

HT , you going for a 14’er?  

Hello CCB,

No I've decided to go with another like I have, the 12'9".   Not only want a backup in the event of a run away "Clouser" but I'm anticipating my son moving back from Seattle next year and he's taken a liking to FF and I couldn't think of a better FF buddy !!

HT

So I'm a big TH guy swinging flies for anadromous fishies, scandi touch n go and skagit waterborne when needed.  Are you guys overhead casting with these?  I can't image trying to get a nice water kiss with incoming surf.  I've always been a SH guy for that stuff.

DrBob

I do pretty much strictly overhead casting with either a roll cast or Skagit to get the line off the water and into the air. Skagit is a little easier for me and I'm usually using a sinking head so that style lends itself better than the scandi style.