Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtieFluke429

pics of tica reels??

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

im interested in buying the libra or the taurus from Tim.. (or both) but i need an idea as to exactly how big this reels are.

does anyone have a picture of the libra and the taurus in the 3000 and 3500(libra) sizes?? mayb a picture next to a shimano stradic or sustain 4000, or a penn ss or ssg.

just want an idea of how they compare to other sized reels that i use. the line capacity seems good, but the tica reels are heavy, so i would like a smaller size.

..anyone?

Sorry, no pics but if you look at the spec's on the reels you can match them up to what you need. I've used the Tica Libra 4000 with 30# braid on surf rods from 7' to 9', it was a perfect fit on all. I don't think the Ticas get heavy till they get big like the Taurus 6000, but its about the same as its competition. I'd rather a Tica Libra 4000 or a Taurus 4000 for plugging than a 1 1/2 lber. like a Taurus 6000, Penn 706, or a Nautil 7500, all are about the same weight.

You can come up with enough info to make a clear educated guess, Tim will exchange it anyway if you go brain dead.

Don't know what kind of fishing your going to do with it, but for a plugging stick up to 9', I'd go with the Taurus 4000 or the Libra 4000. If your 10' and over, you gotta go up to the heavy weights listed above.

If money doesn't matter go with the Taurus, keep in mind you can buy 2 Libras and fill them with braid for the cost of 1 Taurus, no line. Regardless, the Taurus is a very fairly priced reel for its features.

And if money don't matter, congrats, your in the short line!!

i was talkin mainly about flukin and weakfishing from shore with some throwin plastics for little scoolies mixed it to.

last year i was using a 430ssg which weighs only 9 oz and is a lot of fun, but i got spooled on that a couple of times which is usually not fun.. but i do like the challenge thats why i use small reels.

i have the Tica Libra 3000, and it's a fairly small reel. the only other spinning reel that i own is a penn 5500, and it is much smaller in comparison.

hopefully this picture will give you some perspective. my daughter is three, and her hands are tiny little things. she is using my libra 3000 in this picture.

SquirrelFishinginNagsHead2005%20a.jpg

Tica Camry 3500 works great for fishing the bay from boat or shore. Sits on a 7' Lami, works just fine with braid. Lots of fluke, weaks, porgies, blues, and even some bass on this one icon14.gif

PAfluke.jpg

I have them all and feel that the Libra 4000 is about the same size as the Stradic/Sustain 4000. I like it every bit as much as the Sustain and it's 1/3 the price. Just modify the reel by taking out the auto bail closure dog so the bail is manual. The Sustain 5000 looks a touch larger than my Taurus 5000 and a bit lighter too. If I remember, I take a pic of them all together tonight or in the morning.

OK, I don't have the Camry.

I forgot to mention that I don't think you need a Taurus for the kind of fishing you described. The Libra would be fine

thanks for the responses.. so should i go with the 3000 or 3500 for a 7 foot rod rated for 6-15# that i use with 15-20 lb braid.

I'd go with the smaller 3000 for that little rod. icon14.gif The 2500 and 3000 bodies are the same, just different spools. The 3500 and 4000 bodies are larger/heavier and better suited for a 9' rod.