Popasilov

May need some info and help about boat

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I posted this in boat forum Sunday but no response after yet

Maybe someone here can chime in.

It is a 88 Carolina Skiff, boat has a NY sticker and trailer has a license plate.

Boat was registered last time at 2011

What do I need?

I know DMV is a very next stop and after that U-haul to install hitch on my car.

Any inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Maybe you can download a registration form from DMV  You’ll need the bill of sale and registration.  Also you will need items the coast guard will inspect.  There should be a check list of items on the coastguard web site as well.  Look for a safe boating class in your area.  Oh and most off all save your money. You’ll need it for the boat is a hole in the water to throw money into.  

2 hours ago, YAKnDIVE said:

Maybe you can download a registration form from DMV  You’ll need the bill of sale and registration.  Also you will need items the coast guard will inspect.  There should be a check list of items on the coastguard web site as well.  Look for a safe boating class in your area.  Oh and most off all save your money. You’ll need it for the boat is a hole in the water to throw money into.  

I did all of those.

I will take boat safety classes ASAP

I just do not know is anything I should look at the boat?

Trailer looks OK ; anything to look at the trailer?

I know I will need to service water pump and whole engine first.

And

Yes I know it will be hole in the water to throw money in it.

Same things as plugs, lures and rest of fishing gear.

3 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I did all of those.

I will take boat safety classes ASAP

I just do not know is anything I should look at the boat?

Trailer looks OK ; anything to look at the trailer?

I know I will need to service water pump and whole engine first.

And

Yes I know it will be hole in the water to throw money in it.

Same things as plugs, lures and rest of fishing gear.

There is SO much to look for.  

Hull. Any cracks.  Does it have a built in fuel tank? Maybe rot in hull.  Any soft spots.  Transem cracks.  If it need a motor already and it’s an 88 hope your getting it cheap.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

In addition to above ^^^^

Do you know if the motor runs? How old is the motor? Check under the cowling and see if it at least looks clean.  That might tell you if it has been some what taken care of.  Compression check on the motor.  Did they winterize it? If the carbs are gummed up huge pain in the butt.  The motor is worth a lot more than the boat/trailer combined.  

Trailer: Look for rust.  Jack it up and move the tires back and forth (top to bottom) to see if the tires move back and forth (shouldn't be much play) also that they spin freely.  Are the bearings greased?  Make sure the tongue jack cranks up and down and the lights work.

Good luck! Let us know if you get it.

Edited by Suebert2

2 hours ago, YAKnDIVE said:

There is SO much to look for.  

Hull. Any cracks.  Does it have a built in fuel tank? Maybe rot in hull.  Any soft spots.  Transem cracks.  If it need a motor already and it’s an 88 hope your getting it cheap.  

Thank you YAKandDIVE

There is no build in fuel tank.

No soft spots on the boat; I went inside and walk all over it.

Boat is 88t motor is 99;  it was serviced few years ago. From service list it needs new fuel pump ($100), carburetor kit ($60),  water pump kit ($50)

For a trailer I may need jack wheel and maybe tires.

I could get this boat, engine and trailer for $1,000.00

1 hour ago, Suebert2 said:

In addition to above ^^^^

Do you know if the motor runs? How old is the motor? Check under the cowling and see if it at least looks clean.  That might tell you if it has been some what taken care of.  Compression check on the motor.  Did they winterize it? If the carbs are gummed up huge pain in the butt.  The motor is worth a lot more than the boat/trailer combined.  

Trailer: Look for rust.  Jack it up and move the tires back and forth (top to bottom) to see if the tires move back and forth (shouldn't be much play) also that they spin freely.  Are the bearings greased?  Make sure the tongue jack cranks up and down and the lights work.

Good luck! Let us know if you get it.

Thanks Suebert2

Motor is 99 as I stated above.

It hasn't been started for few years. Previous owner took it to local service shop in Oyster Bay and got that  list from above about work that needs to be done.  Motor looks clean under the "hood"

In addition to the list I will need a new battery, too.

Trailer has some rust on it, here and there but nothing unusual; wheels looks OK and tires can use some air but they are not flat. Front wheel on the jack, under the hitch hook has to be changed

Boat itself can use some power wash and that would be my fist thing to do.

My biggest problem is parking.

Where I live trailers and boats are not allowed on parking lot. I am looking around to rent a parking spot.

Hopefully I will find one soon.

Wheel bearings wheel bearings wheel bearings. Change them out on the trailer ASAP.  Get motor running then trailer out to me and the state ramp and lets have fun.

A $1000 isn't bad.  Can you do the work yourself or are you going to have shop do it? If you are going to a shop I would get an estimate on the labor side of the repair.  That could run you almost as much as the boat these days.

I hear ya about the parking.  We cannot have a trailer/boat in my Village, even in our yard (stupid!).  Thankfully my brother lives on the water and we keep our boat and trailer there.

Other thing to check is the transom. Tilt the motor up then grab the motor by the lower unit and give a few good lifts up and look at the transom. It should not flex. 

30 mins ago, i07nyc said:

Other thing to check is the transom. Tilt the motor up then grab the motor by the lower unit and give a few good lifts up and look at the transom. It should not flex. 

I was about to offer the same advice.  Bad transom would be my first worry about the boat itself.

A thirty-year old boat is a crapshoot.  Hull delamination could be a problem.  An engine that hasn't been started for a few years is also a worry.  I'd probably want to see it started--either in the water or with proper "muffs" assuring that it's getting proper cooling water during the process--before I handed over any cash.  Check the wiring to the lights, bilge pump, etc. by hooking up a battery and seeing whether they go on.  Rewiring can be a hassle if you've got to chase new wires through a hull.

Also, New York is a title state, so if you have no title, there may be more paperwork involved (can't remember if titling was in effect back in '88--I THINK I had one for my old '87 Pursuit, which I bought back then) if the seller cant produce a title.

3 hours ago, reelfire said:

Wheel bearings wheel bearings wheel bearings. Change them out on the trailer ASAP.  Get motor running then trailer out to me and the state ramp and lets have fun.

LOL

For sure I give you a call when is ready and running.

North fork will be fun.

2 hours ago, Suebert2 said:

A $1000 isn't bad.  Can you do the work yourself or are you going to have shop do it? If you are going to a shop I would get an estimate on the labor side of the repair.  That could run you almost as much as the boat these days.

I hear ya about the parking.  We cannot have a trailer/boat in my Village, even in our yard (stupid!).  Thankfully my brother lives on the water and we keep our boat and trailer there.

That's is my thinking; $1,000 is not that bad.

Most of the work will be done by myself

I will take engine to local shop since it wasn't running for long time.

1 hour ago, i07nyc said:

Thanks i07nyc

I did tilt engine the other day but did not try to lift it up.

Good thing; i do not want to loose engine in the middle of the harbor.