PENN Fishing

New PENN Debut - Spinfisher VI

85 posts in this topic

Wow! Finally! Sealed reels for light tackle fun!!! Looking forward! 

21 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

At a local shop I had a new Spinfisher V 5500 ($119.00) in my hand on Tuesday night, was ready to buy but wanted to research reviews first.  Planned to research water tightness for surf purposes.  Then Wednesday morning I read this news - I have decided to wait until the SS-VI comes out in November/December.  My Conflict 5000 will continue to work fine until then.  Every surf reel I buy moving forward will have IPX5 or IPX6 seals - tired of doing a complete disassembly with each dunking - would love to be able to simply give them a good fresh water bath. OH 

started using aquashield grease to seal my surf reels as per a suggestion of a guy here. works great. stopped water ingress

Stanczyk has a couple already on his charter boat. Be nice to see how they hold up to that abuse. 

"Stanczyk" is what boat and where?

Agree that charter boat usage is punishing, and therefore a good test, with all the googans grinding furiously away while a fish takes line.  

Now that you mention this, I wonder what the lifespan of a spinning reel is, when it's being used on an inshore party boat or charter boat?  

4 hours ago, mark d said:

started using aquashield grease to seal my surf reels as per a suggestion of a guy here. works great. stopped water ingress

Mark, Just picked up a tube of Corrosion X grease (per one of Scooby's video's) going to give it a try on a Penn Conflict.  Thanks, OH

4 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

Mark, Just picked up a tube of Corrosion X grease (per one of Scooby's video's) going to give it a try on a Penn Conflict.  Thanks, OH

scooby has a good video on the aquashield as well. good luck

Posted (edited)

On 6/19/2018 at 0:58 PM, NJSpinfisher said:

How does this compare to the Slammer III?

Major difference is the drag system.....On the Slammer the washers (big ones) are located under the spool.....the SSVI is stacked in the arbor like you see in most other PENN spinning reels.

IPX5 in the SSVI vs IPX6 in the Slammer III. There are other differences...but those are a couple big ones.

Mike

Edited by PENN Fishing
typo

On 6/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, scoobydoo said:

priced the same as the Spinfisher 5?

If pricier where does the clash go?

$20 higher in retail than the previous generation...SSV. With that comes the upgrade in gearing, sealing, weight reduction, etc. 

Clash is fine where it is for now....lighter, not sealed, etc.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, fishfinder401 said:

cant wait to see more details on this, how does the ipx5 rating compare to the spinfisher V?

Let's not even start going down this road....the new SSVI is IPX5 and can be 3rd party verified.

End of story. Please.

On 6/19/2018 at 3:47 PM, IcedFlounder said:

Im curious to know if the bailless kit from the V will fit the new VI? If not will there be a bailless kit for the VI?

No kit needed for the V or the VI....they both come built as bail-less reels. We added a 4500 size into the VI range...in addition to the 6500.

Where are you hearing about a kit?

Posted (edited)

On 6/22/2018 at 0:31 PM, scoobydoo said:

Wow.....brilliant!!!!

Everything looks great about em!

Finally a bait runner that looks like it really brings something new to the game!

And the sizer offerings look great!

One question.....In the exploded view it looks like there was no pinion / main shaft seal...which was the case with the 5....not the end of the world but didn't see it.

Exploded drawing? You mean the animation in the video? The area you mention is sealed.

Edited to add....if you want me to send you a reel for a Scooby tear down.....we can certainly do that. Might help save both of us some time answering questions.

Mike

Edited by PENN Fishing

On 6/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, bobtheflounder said:

If you read the IP ratings you would see that IPX5 only goes to spraying with a waterjet, not dunking. From the product video, particularly at 3:35, you will see that it still has the same seals as the old Spinfisher/Slammer 3. IPX rating is just marketing, and this is pretty obvious in that the slammer and the new spin fisher have the same seals (to my knowledge, I may be wrong or they may change the seals) but different IPX ratings. Also, the IP rating is missing the X part which is what its rated for solid intrusions like dust sand etc. And then there is the combination of sand and water if you leave your reel in the sand or dunk it in the surf. But I also get why they aren't doing a more protective seal. It would make it too tight for the majority of people who buy this reel, those who judge a reel based on the feel in the shop and how free spinning, "smooth", etc it is. 

Bob - IP rating is marketing? No Sir....it's a rating used in electronics (marine electronics especially) and is 3rd party verifiable. Do we use it in marketing copy, yes. But you and I both know those are two different things. 

11 hours ago, pidyok said:

Wow! Finally! Sealed reels for light tackle fun!!! Looking forward! 

The new 2500 size is SLICK!! $140 retail....light....smooth. It's got it all.

6 hours ago, klunkers said:

Is the vI 4500 auto bail or manual bail.

Auto.

Manual bails start at the 6500 size on the Front Drag and Live-Liner reels.

Long-Cast are all manual.

Bail-Less....well...you know.