jjdbike

Rigging for Nantuck Sholas Fluke help please?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Going on a Voyager combo Nantucket trip. Jigging for cod & drifting shoals for fluke this coming mid-July. NJ limit is 3 so targeting large only.

I've only ever bucktaied for fluke & only in shallow water, almost exclusively from the surf & jetty.

Can you folks with experience please suggest how I should rig up? I’d prefer to keep it realitively simple limiting myself to a couple different rigging options.

From what I understand, conditions can range in depth and current can vary significantly. I have a few larger bucktails upto about 6 oz. I’ve heard talk of “chicken rig” but not really familiar w/ it.

What do you recomend?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I've been there several times and current is usually too strong for bucktailing.  I use high-low rig with 6" Gulp! grub and NJ spearing.   It's worth a few extra bucks to bring some choice NJ local spearing with you.  BTW the locals gaff their keeper fluke up there, hopefully Voyager nets them. . . .  

21 hours ago, hartattack said:

I've been there several times and current is usually too strong for bucktailing.  I use high-low rig with 6" Gulp! grub and NJ spearing.   It's worth a few extra bucks to bring some choice NJ local spearing with you.  BTW the locals gaff their keeper fluke up there, hopefully Voyager nets them. . . .  

Thanks hart,

So by hi-lo do you mean a simple two dropper loop rig w/ loop on bottom for sinker, similar to the ones we’d use fishing clam for cod & haddock? 

Any use in adding extra attractors, e.g. holographic skirt?

What lb test line would you use to tie leaders?

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

12oz. sinkers in the bag also..........

Thanks Big,

Are you saying 12oz is the sweet spot / mid range or high end of what I’ll need? I’m struggeling w/ what rods to bring because I don’t really have a very appropriate rod. I have one that’s probably a tad light (e.g. light in shore jigging 4 - 8) & one that’s a bit heavy (i.e. light ground fish jigging 10 - 16). 

I suppose what I need to know is what range of weights should I be prepared w/ for drifting on a big party boat in Nantucket Shoals for fluke?

Thanks again.

JD.

22 hours ago, hartattack said:

I see “The Reel Seat” in Brielle NJ has “Nantucket Deep Water Fluke Rigs”. In the spirit of keeping it simple, I may just order a couple of those.

Still wondring what range sikers I’ll need.

Thanks!

JD

Yes, 2 droppers with Surgeon's loop for sinker and jig it like a Bucktail.  I use large spearing and Gulp! grub on same hook.  Bring various weights 8, 10, 12, more- Voyager should have for sale too.  

Thanks folks!

Brining Gulp!, frozen spearing, prolly some procut squid for seabass (I’m guessing they might be aroud too) rigs & appropriate weights.

Sounds like that should just about do it.

JD

I did a Viking Nantucket cod/fluke trip in early June. We were fortunate enough to have a current/drift slow enough to fish bucktails (all the way down to four ounces, though I used six or eight most of the day). I might bring a few heavier bucktails just in case that's true for you as well (I prefer bucktails to sinker hi-los). From what I've heard, though, you'll usually need 8 to 12 ounces of lead (and sometimes more on moon tides).

The dominant forage is squid, sand eels and mackerel, so pinks, greens, etc. are good color choices. We periodically encountered schools of Atlantic mackerel, so maybe bring a sabiki rig or two if you're interested in catching them for bait (fillet and strip) or food. I'm primarily a gulp/fast jigging action guy and did very well with six inch gulp grubs and relatively short (maybe four inches or so) dropper loops. Guys dragging bait (the old school long leader, no jigging action technique) seemed to have more trouble with skates and dogfish. 

I used 30 lb leader. You're mostly drifting over pebble/gravel bottom (and not reefs or other structure where you might want heavier line for abrasion resistance), so you can get away with using lighter leader and main line (and using lighter line means you can get away with using a lighter sinker). 

For rods, the Rodgeeks XC 734 has become a popular choice with a few captains up there. Jeffon teh Bad Influence, Nate on teh Annie B, Eric on teh BOunty Hunter have been using them, built by other buiders. I have the 733 and I think a734 prebuilt here

On 6/19/2018 at 10:14 AM, hartattack said:

7 hours ago, hartattack said:

Yes, 2 droppers with Surgeon's loop for sinker and jig it like a Bucktail.  I use large spearing and Gulp! grub on same hook.  Bring various weights 8, 10, 12, more- Voyager should have for sale too.  

Heard good things about those 6” Gulp Grubs for deep fluke.

Does color matter? Any recommendations?

In the NJ surf for fluke I use white, chartreuse & pink, depending on light & water clarity.

Thsnks again!

JD

On 6/20/2018 at 4:52 PM, jjdbike said:

Heard good things about those 6” Gulp Grubs for deep fluke.

Does color matter? Any recommendations?

In the NJ surf for fluke I use white, chartreuse & pink, depending on light & water clarity.

Thsnks again!

JD

Never Mind,

Gonna start another thread about Gulp!

JD

On 6/20/2018 at 11:17 AM, jjdbike said:

I see “The Reel Seat” in Brielle NJ has “Nantucket Deep Water Fluke Rigs”. In the spirit of keeping it simple, I may just order a couple of those.

Still wondring what range sikers I’ll need.

Thanks!

JD

Could be anywhere from 6 to 16 depending on water depth and current.

Just wondering is you enjoy long bat rides? Seems to me the better choice would be to drive to MA and take a boat from there.

Edited by MakoMike

Thanks Mike.

Yes it’s a long steam & we really gotta hope for ideal seas & conditions. It’s also not cheap.

I know there’s a lot to be said for using local captains & crews who know the fishery well while  supporting local family business.

On the other hand, in this circumstance: hangin out w/ friends, relaxing instead of driving, eating good food prepared by an excellent galley mate, hitting the bunk early, getting good nights’ sleep. Waking early, fishing at o’dark 30 & ALL DAY Fri, , some Fri evening. Good night sleep, ALL day Sat, some Sat night. Again good meals, no need to go to resutuants, motels or even drive more than 2 hours to dock & back. It’s really convenient one stop shopping, w/ a lot of fishing.

Bonus, Voyager is a great boat to fish on, she’s fast, the captain & crew are excellent. Plus, one gets comfortable w/ a boat, captain & crews’ style of fishing.

I like fishing on the Voyager & am a pretty loyal customer.

Admittey, this type trip is a real streatch. Might be an epic success (w/ 2 different types of fishing) or a regrettable & expensive failure.

I’ll post a report either way.

Thanks.

JD