Toallhisdoom

Weekend trip w/ black hole charter slow pitch

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went to barnstable 2 weeks ago and had a blast fishing for striper. Decided to go back this past weekend and figured I should get a new setup to go with me. Got talking to Ksong who was extremely helpful with picking a new rod.

I ended up with a black hole charter special slow pitch 6'8 rod and a penn slammer 3 4500 reel.

The rod was extremely light weight. Had a ton of backbone and a very sensitive tip. The styling of the rod was also great! Blue accents matched my spiderwire stealth blue camo line.

As far as fishing went, I fish chunks dragged along the sandy bottom and like the sensitivity to feel every rock and crab down there! I like to hold the rod and set the hook when I feel bites.

I landed over 32 fish saturday from schoolies to 34" fish. And another 15ish fish Sunday morning before heading home. The rod handled them with ease and the drag on the slammer was silk! The rod/reel can absolutely handle much bigger fish. Will be using it for bigger stripers, red snapper/grouper.

Highly recommend this rod and reel. Very impressed!

20180615_192245.jpg

20180616_102758.jpg

170437.jpg

20180615_184624.jpg

Edited by Toallhisdoom

Thanks for the review report. I don't see any problem to land 40 lb - 50 lb striper with the 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rods. There will be lots of big striper around Barnstable area at night using live eel.

In fact, I will use the same 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special rod for big halibut over 100 lb on my upcoming Alaska trip.

6 mins ago, Joe D. said:

Sounds like a great trip. I was reading about these slow pitch rods. Aren't they typically just used for jig fishing?

I found the slow pitch rods are excellent for bait fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, ksong said:

I found the slow pitch rods are excellent for bait fishing.

I agree! But yes they were intended for slow jigging. 

Edited by Toallhisdoom

23 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Sounds like a great trip. I was reading about these slow pitch rods. Aren't they typically just used for jig fishing?

All depends on preference. I know quite a few ppl that use Kil's Cape Cod slow pitch rods for live lining bunker and jigging for fluke (including myself). They are versatile rods. The 54# in my avatar was landed on a factory BH 731M.

Toall - looks like you had an awesome trip! Can't catch fish hiding behind a keyboard!