Dooski18

Stripers there but not biting.

64 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, bumknee said:

Spell check and brain not engaged-throwing, not trowing.

Meh, that's how I say it anyhow... "trow me dose pliers willya?"

Came across a huge school today in their usual gathering spot. As usual there was no bait and no signs of feeding activity. The fish were following their usual routine, stemming the current and/or daisy chaining around. Lately, whether with fly or lure, I’ve found a rapid retrieve gets their attention, but getting them to actually hit is difficult. I wouldn’t say I cracked the code by any stretch, but today an erratic retrieve produced many violent hits on a large topwater plug. I ended up with a few big blues, a handful of schoolies, one bass around 15lbs, and another pushing 25lbs or so. Ultimately though, most fish would simply follow the plug and boil on it. Pausing the plug and allowing them to inspect it meant absolute refusal. As the wind picked up I was able to slow the plug down a bit and that began to produce, but most strikes were misses. I ended up hooking a pretty big bass on a 10” Fin-S Fish but it shook the hook. Again, there was no bait around and certainly no feeding behavior, plus the fish were spooky. Getting hit meant teasing a reaction strike or triggering their competitive nature with high speed retrieves. Like I said in my first post, I see this behavior often in this area. Every time requires a different approach, and success is never guaranteed. Today they gave me a little break. 

55 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Getting hit meant teasing a reaction strike or triggering their competitive nature with high speed retrieves. Like I said in my first post, I see this behavior often in this area. Every time requires a different approach, and success is never guaranteed. Today they gave me a little break. 

Today..they did not give me a little break.

Instead? shunned all but 3 casts. Then they purposely group-crapped against the beach to insult me and my friends, and finish the tide.

Yeah the speedy retrieve has been working for me lately.

..Juust not today.

In fact very little worked today. 

Squid was main entree. But with a healthy side of macs or herring. Had to battle cast after cast after for these fish. Constantly clipping on new plugs, then cycling through casts and retrieve style. In the end nothing got settled as the offering du jour.

Posted (edited)

I was tossing a tip snapping pecker head paddle yesterday in 15+ knots and hooking up constantly during flow. They're biting for sure.

Truth be told, surface presentation is where it seems to be at right now. But , not in the canal since its closed for maintenance this year.

20180620_212433.jpg

20180620_212406.jpg

Edited by FEW3
Because

Yesterday while fluke fishing ran into a school of bass at first its was fish every cast then they just shut down, and just swam around the boat, any thoughts on "fish every cast to lock jaw??"

Breaking tide this morning.  Not one fish. Never saw even a break or splash. No people either though

10 hours ago, jhndoe said:

Breaking tide this morning.  Not one fish. Never saw even a break or splash. No people either though

yiks:):)

Last time out, I caught a striper on one of my first several casts (but not first cast), and had several more hits and misses during the next several moments...then the fishing fell into deep 'doo doo' despite some evidence that the fish was still there...the small fish that saved me from the skunk:

Gurgler striper.jpg