mumichog

Will Shimano USA Service Japan Made Reels Not Sold In US?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Just now, BigNevadaBob said:

I've sent my 5k stella that I purchased from otto's for service twice and had no issues. 

Yes, I've heard similar things from many people.. I'm sure it's probably just what they are told to say so I waste an extra bit of coin on a US sold reel... I kind of had the feeling the shimano rep was blowing smoke up my a$$.. different cut to the body??  Very unlikely... I ordered the reel regardless and I'm sure it won't be an issue 

One thing I found that may make a difference (to service or not service) is to be sure to register your Stella with Shimano USA once it arrives. Unlike some here, ALL my so called JDM Stellas get serviced by Shimano USA with no issues whatsoever. Never a problem or negative report. Reels comes back as good as new. Very streamlined. So there must be some reason why other people get the boot when they send to California for service. Strange.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:06 AM, zcoker said:

One thing I found that may make a difference (to service or not service) is to be sure to register your Stella with Shimano USA once it arrives. Unlike some here, ALL my so called JDM Stellas get serviced by Shimano USA with no issues whatsoever. Never a problem or negative report. Reels comes back as good as new. Very streamlined. So there must be some reason why other people get the boot when they send to California for service. Strange.

They are probably calling and talking to the service department rather than just sending it in. I don't know anyone, and know quite a few people who order regularly from plat and digitaka, who ever had any issues. If they have parts they end up servicing it, and there is no difference between say Stellas bought here or from Japan, as long as the models match up to US models despite what some have been told. Similar thing happened to my buddy with the Isla/Catalina when he called Daiwa, they would not service a JDM reel. The 4 friends that sent their Catalinas in got them serviced just fine. Think they both try to BS the consumer into paying $300 more for the same item you can get online from Japan, with the service scare tactic personally 

4 mins ago, dennysnook said:

there is no difference between say Stellas bought here or from Japan, as long as the models match up to US models despite what some have been told. Similar thing happened to my buddy with the Isla/Catalina when he called Daiwa, they would not service a JDM reel. The 4 friends that sent their Catalinas in got them serviced just fine. Think they both try to BS the consumer into paying $300 more for the same item you can get online from Japan, with the service scare tactic personally 

This was my thought as well... scare tactics and BS used to squeeze out a few hundred more in the US market for the same reels.... it would be ridiculous to have 2 reels with identical model numbers that used different parts.. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

9 hours ago, dennysnook said:

They are probably calling and talking to the service department rather than just sending it in. I don't know anyone, and know quite a few people who order regularly from plat and digitaka, who ever had any issues. If they have parts they end up servicing it, and there is no difference between say Stellas bought here or from Japan, as long as the models match up to US models despite what some have been told. Similar thing happened to my buddy with the Isla/Catalina when he called Daiwa, they would not service a JDM reel. The 4 friends that sent their Catalinas in got them serviced just fine. Think they both try to BS the consumer into paying $300 more for the same item you can get online from Japan, with the service scare tactic personally 

Good point here: I don't believe for one minute that Shimano USA will give people sugar coated feedback "over the phone" for a Stella purchased overseas. Why would they? LoL. Just send it in! I, too, know many guys who just send their reels in (purchased overseas or not) and don't have any issues with service. Seems to me that Shimano's stuck with it, so to speak, when they get a reel in the mail, and proceed with the service procedures, no matter where it came from. Never have had them squawk to me about the reels origin. Just comes back with a service card showing the parts replaced.

Sure would love to put this BS to rest. In my opinion, to save hundreds of dollars, is worth the service confusion...or chances...or gamble.....however one wants to look at it.

There are several really good reasons there is an issue with UDM servicing JDM.  Most of it does not concern the consumer, but its hell on corporate.  Inventorying parts for warranty and replacement is expensive and difficult.  They have no way to project how many JDM reels are here so cannot project.  Also there is tax-import-export issues on buying JDM specific parts here in the US that can make servicing a JDM reel in UDM actually cost the manufacturer for the privilege of servicing a reel they did not make any profit on.

Lets not forget as well that most JDM reels are bought on the grey market even if it comes from a legit site and that hurts the standard US dealer all so a guy can save a buck.  And then lament when his local shop closes.  Its bad for the industry all around.

13 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

There are several really good reasons there is an issue with UDM servicing JDM.  Most of it does not concern the consumer, but its hell on corporate.  Inventorying parts for warranty and replacement is expensive and difficult.  They have no way to project how many JDM reels are here so cannot project.  Also there is tax-import-export issues on buying JDM specific parts here in the US that can make servicing a JDM reel in UDM actually cost the manufacturer for the privilege of servicing a reel they did not make any profit on.

Lets not forget as well that most JDM reels are bought on the grey market even if it comes from a legit site and that hurts the standard US dealer all so a guy can save a buck.  And then lament when his local shop closes.  Its bad for the industry all around.

The internet itself has been detrimental to the local shop and retailer, but corporate seems to be as much to blame as anyone else. Hard to convince the consumer that the Isla was worth paying $800 for after Alan Hawk's review stated the only difference was the handle and you could source a Catalina for around half that. Same goes for the same Stella SWB that is $750 online but $1059 retail. Slammers were just on sale on Amazon for more than 50% off I believe. I know nothing about imports, tariffs, US vs JDM divisions and all that good stuff but someone supplies these online retailers and guessing it wouldn't be hard to find out who does so if there was a high concern from corporate. If I know about these online sales and retailers, pretty sure a big corporation could find out and police supply if they wanted to. My sister owns a baitshop in Naples, FL and I am someone who frequently pays more for the same products at small local shops even though I could find cheaper online or order wholesale through friends, but you will never convince the consumer to pay large sums of money to support local shops when corporations allow reels to be sold at deep discounts online.