mumichog

Will Shimano USA Service Japan Made Reels Not Sold In US?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Apparently they won't warranty them because the Japan (JDM) reels not marketed here aren't technically aren't sold in the US by authorized dealers (Biomaster for example).  But will the main service center in CA (the best place to send your Shimano reels btw - not the regional places) service JDM reels regardless of where they were procured?  I did a search of the forum and went back a ways and didn't seem to find answer.  Thanks.

They wouldn't do my last Stella FI 2500 because it was JDM. Asked me not to send it in again. Answer is no, with a chance you might get lucky if you just send it in because I have before. I avoid all JDM exclusive reels but still buy JDM if the model is sold here, because then they service it.

They don't support parts for JDM reels, as do most US service shops. Getting parts from Japan has been expensive as well so suggest avoiding it if you service alot like me 

Posted (edited) · Report post

FWIW - I talked to Shimano today to confirm: the friendly rep I spoke with says they will not service a JDM reel (at the main repair center in CA).  Only gear regularly marketed in the US will be eligible for Shimano expert service. 

Edited by mumichog

Just found this thread after doing a forum search....

I'm about to pick up a Stella SWB from otto's (because it's crazy paying $400 more for the exact same reel sold here) but I wanted to confirm that since the stella SWB is a model sold here in the US market that Shimano CA service center will service it without a problem....

Any feedback appreciated.. 

14 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Just found this thread after doing a forum search....

I'm about to pick up a Stella SWB from otto's (because it's crazy paying $400 more for the exact same reel sold here) but I wanted to confirm that since the stella SWB is a model sold here in the US market that Shimano CA service center will service it without a problem....

Any feedback appreciated.. 

I would honestly just call them and ask. I've heard back and forth comments from everyone If they will or not. Worse case they say no, and then you know.

i have an albrid i get it serviced at grumpy's tackle i think some of the parts are just normal parts. If you need some thing specific there might be an issue. 

There must be a Shimano service center in Japan. There is also an Australian Shimano service center.

Why not send it to one of those two if the shops that repair JDM reels in the States cant help you?

I called shimano, as suggested above... the rep explained that even though it has the exact same model number, gear ratio, and physical appearance, the reel is not the same.. he said it would have different gear material? And a different cut on the body? Some BS, not sure how much of it I actually believe, but... question answered, they will not service a reel purchased outside the US regardless of matching model numbers, gear ratios etc.... 

57 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I called shimano, as suggested above... the rep explained that even though it has the exact same model number, gear ratio, and physical appearance, the reel is not the same.. he said it would have different gear material? And a different cut on the body? Some BS, not sure how much of it I actually believe, but... question answered, they will not service a reel purchased outside the US regardless of matching model numbers, gear ratios etc.... 

I've sent my 5k stella that I purchased from otto's for service twice and had no issues. 

I found it easier to download a schematic and service my own then to deal with Shimano USA over a JDM reel