northbeach

Striped Bass squid Flies

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been tying quite a few of Slip n Slide's floating squid flies and poppers (basically same construction, see "Striper Topwater Flies" January 25, on this Forum) and, I thought of sharing a few problems I ran into because I was not doing something right initially.

-Cutting the face of the foam cylinder

Initially, I used a single-edged straight razor blade to cut the bottom 2/3 of the face at the required 45° angle, just by holding the cylinder down on the table firmly, placing the blade on the foam and  cutting down while trying to keep the blade vertical. Tough to do and the result was seldom completely satisfactory. So I tried a few things and finally came up with something that gives me satisfaction: I use a very sharp Rapala filleting knife (the short one)  and a fairly thick (1/8")  plexiglas square (that my wife uses for quilting) and I put the square flat on the cylinder with one of the edges placed exactly on the line where I want to cut and use that edge to guide the knife and as the  edge is thick the blade remains in contact with it throughout the cut and it is thus  easy to keep it vertical. 

-Positioning the cylinder on the hook shank

Initially, after tying in the tail, I just built up a good thread base on the shank, cut a centered V at the rear base of the cylinder to accommodate the bump at the tie-in point of the tail and then positioned the cylinder on the glued thread base and then tied it down with the thread.. and often ended up with a cylinder a little off center in relation to the shank or slightly turned so that the face was not square and... of course solidly glued to the hook. To avoid this: after cutting the face, cut a shallow V groove from center front to center  rear on the bottom of the cylinder, enlarge the V at the rear to accommodate the bump and this groove ensures that the cylinder is always centered on the shank (in addition to making a stronger bond to the hook) . But you still have to make sure that the face remains square to the shank. So it is important to check often when making the thread wraps.

Hope this will shorten the learning curve for those who try making these patterns for the first time.

And, why not, a few of those I made.

20190313_145033.jpg

20190313_144809.jpg

Edited by Suave
Wrong words

On 1/27/2019 at 8:24 PM, slip n slide said:

I see them more on the SS than in the bay,although I've fished the pattern all sides and caught w/ it.My biggest bass every year is on a squid fly.

I've seen them in the Bay by Denis in summertime, middle of the day, dead calm water, wading around with my kids. Took us a little while to figure out what they were. There were a fair amount of them around, about 6" to 8" long, they would kind of stop and stare and you and then scoot away if you started to approach them.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:56 PM, Hirdy said:

Just to add to the theme ....

I use squid flies for all sorts of fish, but we don't have stripers in this part of the world so I can't say they will definitely work on them. I don't see why not though.

This is my version of a squid fly. It's built with an articulation and mylar tubing. I paint the wire and the thread wrapped on the hook with luminous paint, since I frequently fish at night with this fly. The one shown here is tied with a 2/0 SL12S hook.

Squid_12.jpeg

Squid_11.jpeg

Squid_10.jpeg

And finally, a pic showing the fly glowing:

Squid_Glow_1.jpeg

The fly casts well because it's light and doesn't hold water. If I want it to sink, I tie a very small ball sinker into the loop knot: this gives it a very tantalising action when a floating line is used. 

Cheers,

Graeme

I was thinking about something along those lines for the Keys in a month, would never have thought about the luminous paint, or the weight. Thanks!

So they're not nocturnal then? I was under the impression that low light or night was best for them as well as calm water. 

But there is a testimony of seeing them in broad daylight. 

PAtroutguy, what was that day like? Sunny, overcast, etc. 

Going to try squids very seriously this year myself as I haven't used them much if at all before. 

My first go at them.  I think the dimensions are off, but it was the best I could do without a longer shank or articulated shank.  I bought some articulated shanks and a couple new materials for the mantle - will try again.

5c8bb699604da_ScreenShot2019-03-12at9_00_32AM.png.c8cc67717e2c538893069a56d04623c8.png

I tie a pattern that is no bigger than a clouser and it is very similar to one I found on you tube.  Try searching for "Friday Night Flies - Super Squid" and you'll get the idea.  I'm not convinced that this fly is distinguishable from a pink clouser to a bass but a take is a take in my book and I like feeling like I'm using different patterns because they are fun to tie.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, JCH said:

My first go at them.  I think the dimensions are off, but it was the best I could do without a longer shank or articulated shank.  I bought some articulated shanks and a couple new materials for the mantle - will try again.

5c8bb699604da_ScreenShot2019-03-12at9_00_32AM.png.c8cc67717e2c538893069a56d04623c8.png

squid are 2/3 body and 1/3 tentacle,not to say your fly won't catch but it looks more like a fish than a squid,try using a long shank spinner bait hook,Owner 5103,5192 or VMC 7250

Edited by slip n slide

Thanks. I tried the articulated shanks and played around with different materials for the mantle.  It’s not quite 2/3, but I think the proportions are much improved. 

The bottom is my feeble attempt at a Johnny king kinky muddler style squid. I like that the best, but it’s a lot of work. The top one flairs a bit much when dry, but does look great wet. The pink cactus underneath really shows through. 

9864583E-E33F-407A-9D45-F73287F8437A.jpeg.976cd16eead9dd5eda971081519fc365.jpeg

FD637D3C-57BD-4E5F-91C2-98E86992D77F.jpeg.2e77640aa233e1f6cad72dc69ff535f4.jpeg

381859BA-FDC4-4086-8B1F-952FDFA9F757.jpeg.7c8b119cb0e93cebabdb2ce5776fe9e1.jpeg