northbeach

Striped Bass squid Flies

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, Suave said:

By the way what is the total lenght of your Squid-sicles when tied on the 1/0 hook you recommend? 

Hope this may help.

I use a Tiemco 811S model hook, 1/0. It's regular length.

Total length from hook eye to tip of rabbit furs should be 3 3/4 inches, that's if you initially cut the zonker strip at 2 1/2 inches.  

The Crystal Flash should extend past the complete assembly by a 1/4 inch, somewhere around 4 inches.

IMG_0167.JPG

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Some logical thoughts and common practices fishing squid flies.

Who hasn't tied a squid fly? I bet if your a saltwater guy the answer would be an affirmative Yes!

They're so beautiful, awesome to tie and look at, so why wouldn't you?

A better question is how many actually fish them?  Wow! The numbers go way down.

They stay in the fly box all season and never see the darkness of night and that's the problem. Most of us don't fish at night. We perceive them as night time creatures. Believe me they are always present in the water column, maybe a little down deep, but they are present in most places you wade. They are one of the most prolific and valuable food supplies in our waters. 

There are certain locations fishing the rips of the Cape they are used extensively. That's because there is a physical presents that we can see, so we trust our vision. But if they are not seen, they are completely out of our thought process, thus never see the end of our tippet. 

In this new fishing season I'd like to see more fishermen experiment with squid flies. Tell us your results fore or against.  

I've been using these rabbit squids on albies the last few seasons and in some cases they work because there are plenty of baby squid eating all those small micro baits of anchovies around.     

23 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Nice! Consider a wider gapped hook for better hookups?

I finish them w/ flex-seal and reinforce the high wear points w/ lightcure

HI Slip,

Whats your experience with Flex-Seal?  How does it stand up over time and does it yellow or don't these types of flies live long enough to matter?  I bought a small can clear to coat crease flies but haven't tried it yet.

HT

Thanks Capt. Ray for the info on the Squid-sicle and more so for your thoughts on fishing squid flies. I will certainly give them a good trial next summer in the Miramichi area of New-Brunswick. From a report I've read there is a commercial fishery for squids in the Gulf of Saint-Lawrence.

And thanks Titleguy for the "awesome" comment although, to me, the real awesome ones are slip n slide's as he had the imagination to come up with this pattern.

And another one on a wider-gaped but shorter (3XL) and heavier (3XH) hook (Gama. SP11-3L3H). No doubt it will ensure better hook-ups. 

But I went looking for a wide-gaped but longer shanked hook and found the Partridge ACS Attitude streamer fly hook which is described as having  a wide gape and long shank and is available in six sizes including 2/0, 4/0 and 6/0. Anybody has used this? If so, how does it rate?

20190126_092918.jpg

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

HI Slip,

Whats your experience with Flex-Seal?  How does it stand up over time and does it yellow or don't these types of flies live long enough to matter?  I bought a small can clear to coat crease flies but haven't tried it yet.

HT

I've ony been using it a couple years but it hasn't yellowed in that time.A matte finish,not shiny.A bluefish will cause it to shred but it will stand  up to many bass.If you reinforce the high wear (face,seams) areas w/ light-cure it won't peel.Nice texture/feel.Best applied in two or three thin coats so it doesn't get bubbles in it as it sets up.

I try to take care of my flies,repairing if possible,unless they rust.I feel like there's some accumulated mojo there,lol.I have some that are 6-8 y/o and still in circulation.I am a strong believer in using an adhesive at the completion of every step in tying a fly.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, slip n slide said:

I've ony been using it a couple years but it hasn't yellowed in that time.A matte finish,not shiny.A bluefish will cause it to shred but it will stand  up to many bass.If you reinforce the high wear (face,seams) areas w/ light-cure it won't peel.Nice texture/feel.Best applied in two or three thin coats so it doesn't get bubbles in it as it sets up.

I try to take care of my flies,repairing if possible,unless they rust.I feel like there's some accumulated mojo there,lol.I have some that are 6-8 y/o and still in circulation.I am a strong believer in using an adhesive at the completion of every step in tying a fly.

Thanks T,

I think I might put the expanded tubing over my crease flies and then coat with Flex-Seal that way the tubing will help protect the foam and also lock in the sealer, making them more durable.   I have some of the hair crin/cyberlox tubing that just fits over a crease that should do the job nicely.

After you open the can of Flex-Seal do you have issues with it hardening/solidifying pre-maturely?

To help keep it fresh I funneled the contents of a quart can into three of the tonic water glass bottles figuring it might keep longer if I split it up.  Of course I had to find a good use for the contents of the bottles before I used them :)

bottle.jpg.14566ac8f13b538ab39b2b3260510208.jpg

HT

On 1/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

Who hasn't tied a squid fly? I bet if your a saltwater guy the answer would be an affirmative Yes!

A better question is how many actually fish them?  Wow! The numbers go way down.

They stay in the fly box all season and never see the darkness of night and that's the problem. Most of us don't fish at night. We perceive them as night time creatures. Believe me they are always present in the water column, maybe a little down deep, but they are present in most places you wade. They are one of the most prolific and valuable food supplies in our waters. 

There are certain locations fishing the rips of the Cape they are used extensively. That's because there is a physical presents that we can see, so we trust our vision. But if they are not seen, they are completely out of our thought process, thus never see the end of our tippet. 

In this new fishing season I'd like to see more fishermen experiment with squid flies. Tell us your results fore or against.  

I've been using these rabbit squids on albies the last few seasons and in some cases they work because there are plenty of baby squid eating all those small micro baits of anchovies around.     

I am giving them a shot in my area despite no notable squid presence that I have heard of.  Adding them to my night fly selection for this season.  Mine will be much larger based on Rich Murphy tube pattern.  The few squid I have run into which is five in four years were all in the 8-10" range.  They were all sighted when I was fishing lit docks.  

35 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I am giving them a shot in my area despite no notable squid presence that I have heard of.  Adding them to my night fly selection for this season.  Mine will be much larger based on Rich Murphy tube pattern.  The few squid I have run into which is five in four years were all in the 8-10" range.  They were all sighted when I was fishing lit docks.  

Dan,

My son did an internship at the Marine Science Lab at the tip of Nahant when he attended Northeastern , which I believe is somewhat local to you, and one of the professors he worked for did a lot of squid'ing in the spring in and around that area.    He told my son at times the water was thick with squid in the evening.

HT

6 mins ago, HillTop said:

Dan,

My son did an internship at the Marine Science Lab at the tip of Nahant when he attended Northeastern , which I believe is somewhat local to you, and one of the professors he worked for did a lot of squid'ing in the spring in and around that area.    He told my son at times the water was thick with squid in the evening.

HT

HT that is good info.  I keep hearing the North Shore has a decent Squid run.  I live in the Hingham area and have not hear of much Squid on the South Shore.  

So what I am going to do is take a deep dive look at the depth charts, estuaries, and other details about Nahant and Revere.  Then I am going to look for an area closer to me with similar charateristics.  I can check the squidder chats to see when squid start showing up in Nahant/Revere.  I will assume

the timing must be the same in my area.  Then I will hit the area hard at night with squid flies.  

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Thanks T,

I think I might put the expanded tubing over my crease flies and then coat with Flex-Seal that way the tubing will help protect the foam and also lock in the sealer, making them more durable.   I have some of the hair crin/cyberlox tubing that just fits over a crease that should do the job nicely.

After you open the can of Flex-Seal do you have issues with it hardening/solidifying pre-maturely?

To help keep it fresh I funneled the contents of a quart can into three of the tonic water glass bottles figuring it might keep longer if I split it up.  Of course I had to find a good use for the contents of the bottles before I used them :)

bottle.jpg.14566ac8f13b538ab39b2b3260510208.jpg

HT

I use the spray can.

41 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

HT that is good info.  I keep hearing the North Shore has a decent Squid run.  I live in the Hingham area and have not hear of much Squid on the South Shore.  

So what I am going to do is take a deep dive look at the depth charts, estuaries, and other details about Nahant and Revere.  Then I am going to look for an area closer to me with similar charateristics.  I can check the squidder chats to see when squid start showing up in Nahant/Revere.  I will assume

the timing must be the same in my area.  Then I will hit the area hard at night with squid flies.  

Squid are pretty subtle in their presence;not like they're jumping up outta the water.Occasionally I'll see their wakes at dusk if they're being chased but they don't typically come near shore till it's dark.At first light I often see bass cruising parallel to the shore and they are suckers for a squid.The squid come up on shallow flats w/ plentiful bait to feed at night. I've also seen them do this thing where they wave their tentacles in the surface film,I think feeding on something, and it makes a very gentle splashing sound that,once you hear it,you will know to pay attention to it's occurrence.If there is any debris or wave action they won't come near shore:dead calm is ideal.Even if the ocean is roiled they will appear in estuary mouths and protected harbors in the spring and fall when there is bait about.If you're fishing and hook a squid that's a sure sign to tie on a squid pattern! I see them more on the SS than in the bay,although I've fished the pattern all sides and caught w/ it.My biggest bass every year is on a squid fly.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

Thank you for this! I've been following this and tying a few of the variations in here, but wasn't sure how they are actually used. I've had good luck with the Gartside Hot Orange Fish Head, which I suspect may actually imitate a squid, in years past and after reading this I realize the pier near where I fish is a known squid spot, I just never put 1+1 together. Can't wait to get out there with a sinking head and one of these tied on...

Just to add to the theme ....

I use squid flies for all sorts of fish, but we don't have stripers in this part of the world so I can't say they will definitely work on them. I don't see why not though.

This is my version of a squid fly. It's built with an articulation and mylar tubing. I paint the wire and the thread wrapped on the hook with luminous paint, since I frequently fish at night with this fly. The one shown here is tied with a 2/0 SL12S hook.

Squid_12.jpeg

Squid_11.jpeg

Squid_10.jpeg

And finally, a pic showing the fly glowing:

Squid_Glow_1.jpeg

The fly casts well because it's light and doesn't hold water. If I want it to sink, I tie a very small ball sinker into the loop knot: this gives it a very tantalising action when a floating line is used. 

Cheers,

Graeme

9 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Thank you for this! I've been following this and tying a few of the variations in here, but wasn't sure how they are actually used. I've had good luck with the Gartside Hot Orange Fish Head, which I suspect may actually imitate a squid, in years past and after reading this I realize the pier near where I fish is a known squid spot, I just never put 1+1 together. Can't wait to get out there with a sinking head and one of these tied on...

I always identify all my fly boxes, cameras, etc. with mailing labels you get for free in the mail. I put a wide piece of clear tape over them for more protection. It's much smaller and neater than using an indelible felt tip pens. That's my tip for the day. Now take another piece of clear paper write... Think Squid? and do the same to all your fly boxes that contain your flies. This way you'll be reminded to use them come fishing season when you're on the water again.