northbeach

Striped Bass squid Flies

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2019 at 1:22 PM, Suave said:

Nice flies Ginclear.

Slip n slide : found your posts of 2014 and 2016 on your squid flies and how and when to fish them. Very good info. One question on your floating pattern for which you share a lot of tying info: how do you attach the foam cylinder on the hook shank? À la Bob's Bangers as in the shorty you refer to? Or some other way?

You provide less info on your "wet" patterns and the pictures are not clear enough, at least to me. You seem to tie those 2 ways.: one with an estaz chenille body (as you mention in your post for the female squid) covered with a rabbit strip that completes the body and imitates the tentacles with something else tied underneath as a "tail"; the other with a body of "hackled" rabbit strip (crosscut?) as in Capt. Ray's Sicle-Squid with another strip tied as a tail to provide tentacles. And in each case I can't figure out how you attach the eyes. 

More info would be helpful and appreciated.

the eyes on the rabbit strips squid are barbell eyes,like lead eyes but plastic,hopefully this pic explains what you need to know about the squid body construction,once you build the underbody a wrap of 1/16 or 1/8 foam is applied using CA glue,the eyes are attached to the body by gluing you fav eye to a slightly teardrop shaped tab of foam,glue onto the drop end and glue the pointy part to the inside the head of the squid,coat w/ lightcure after it's glued on

squid underbody20170206_150543.jpg

Edited by slip n slide

Thanks slip n slide. This will be very helpful.

Here are attempts at tying something resembling two of your patterns as pictured in your 2015-6 posts. Cactus chenille bodies covered by magnum rabbit strips but with eyes à la Squid-sicle and muddler heads for the lower two. On 4xl hooks # 2/0 and 1/0. On these (the # 2/0 hook is about 2' long), you end up with flies about 3 1/2-3 3/4' long if you keep realistic proportions between body and tentacles .

So figuring that a # 5/0  Owner 5103 hook as you use is about 2 1/2' long, what  do you do to get  a 5-6' fly? Extended body?  

20190121_100352.jpg

10 hours ago, Suave said:

Thanks slip n slide. This will be very helpful.

Here are attempts at tying something resembling two of your patterns as pictured in your 2015-6 posts. Cactus chenille bodies covered by magnum rabbit strips but with eyes à la Squid-sicle and muddler heads for the lower two. On 4xl hooks # 2/0 and 1/0. On these (the # 2/0 hook is about 2' long), you end up with flies about 3 1/2-3 3/4' long if you keep realistic proportions between body and tentacles .

So figuring that a # 5/0  Owner 5103 hook as you use is about 2 1/2' long, what  do you do to get  a 5-6' fly? Extended body?  

20190121_100352.jpg

Pretty good,those'll fish! The Captains method of setting the eyes would likely work well w/ this pattern.

Yes,I extend the body wrap out beyond the back to achieve some length (as well as a little on the front,braced w/ lightcure),just have to account for that when you tie in the "tentacles"

The longest fly here is right at 5",you'll have to go to a Owner 5192 in a 7/0 or 9/0 to get a longer fly or use extended bodies.You can also see how the front is overhung if you look at the top fly and follow the wire to the eye.Also a good view of the eyes and where they're glued on, to the inside of the body,outside coated w/ lightcure.

20180406_170854squids.jpg

Edited by slip n slide

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, ginclear said:

I too stopped by on Sat. and spoke with @Capt.Castafly. Good to catch up and thank you for the olive Squid-Sicle!

It was nice to see so many people here from this site at the Fly Fishing Show.

It totally stokes you out, puts faces and thoughts together, completes the puzzle.

Now no ones a stranger. Thanks for all your support. I'm hoping a memorable year for all.

Just maybe some of the knowledge here will pay off for someone. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Someone mentioned Flatwing squid flyes… Attaced are pictures of some of the "Headless Horsemen" patterns, which are basically any  "Perfect Fish"  squid patterns with the bucktail head eliminated, JC Eyes installed, and palmered Maribou for the Wing.

0414180144.jpg

0414180145.jpg

0414180146a.jpg

0906151309.jpg

0906151309a.jpg

0906151309b.jpg

2 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Your friend and mine, Capt. Ray, always ready with a smile and some friendly advice. From Marlborough Friday afternoon.

CaptRay.jpeg.b4bfdc59dc382b673456ba9bd876fbcf.jpeg

Steve Culton

Who is that handsome dude?   Thanks Steve.... Please NO ME TOO movement unless it's about huge fish.