Striped Bass squid Flies

Rate this topic

northbeach

Nice ties Jasper.

My first squid flies, all based on Capt. Ray's Squid-cicle, the top one as per his step by step description and the other two on a longer 4xl hook to get a longer body and, in the bottom one, adding a second rabbit strip in the tail (tentacles) under the eye assembly.

20190115_133316.jpg

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Jabster, do you snell the mono on which you have your squid eyes to the forward hook?

I do not. The other fly has a tube extension and the other a tube+shank extension. The one that has only the tube as an extension is rigged by threading some mono through the tube, tying up a suitable knot at the end of the line and then pulling it inside the tube nice and tight. The other I rig by threading some mono through the tube and then using a loop knot to attach the shank to the tube. In both the extensions are attached to the hook by flattening(and braking the surface) the mono with pliers and then whipping it on to the hook with a generous amount of super glue. You only need a very short whip up for a very solid connection. Just be sure to have a good thread base on your hook when doing it. I've used that same rig for six years now. Since I started tying Bob Pop's Beast flies with a tube extension and not exclusively on mono. It has never failed. If you want a stringer hook back there then I would opt for a longer connecting whip up just in  case.

There is a reasonably detailed SBS on my blog if anyone wanders that way. I will try to find a photo or two about it if I can and post it up here to.

here's my take on Bob Pop's hollow tie technique applied to saddles using tubing to spread the saddles, unfortunately, I did not have any wide tubing, so I used what I had along with some crappy saddles for a quick how to, the front can be finished with hollow tied bucktail, for palmered marabou or whatever works for you

20190115_225645.jpg

20190115_230207.jpg

20190115_230552.jpg

20190115_230743.jpg

20190115_231035.jpg

20190115_231236.jpg

Edited by ferret

On 1/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, BillyBallGame said:

Yeah I ordered a few different colors. Oranges, tans, reds. We'll see how they come out. 

I believe the original Squidsicle pattern called for Cotton Candy dyed zonker strips (cotton candy pink/white) which is what I use. This is a very successful pattern for me.

5 hours ago, flysully said:

I believe the original Squidsicle pattern called for Cotton Candy dyed zonker strips (cotton candy pink/white) which is what I use. This is a very successful pattern for me.

That's absolutely correct statement. The Cotton Candy was the first color of choice. Creamy Pink was another variation, close in color, a good second choice. When the Squid-Sicle pattern first evolved I worked with Hareline's dying department to find even more suitable colors.

They did a great job of answering my concerns.  The zonker strip Squid fly wasn't the only model of it's kind. At one time I had the same fly with small saddle hackles too. Over time I didn't like the time it took to tie it. Plus I thought the rabbit strip was the more effective pattern. I did try the double zonker strip effect as Suave had done too, but eventually I stayed with the single strip with less twisting.  

IMG_0161.JPG

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Not nearly as nice as anything posted to date as this was a quick tie experiment from last spring that was pretty simple.   I wish I had tied more of these as I caught plenty on this fly and saw it get destroyed in short order.    Body tubing is the Cyberlox Crin tubing available online for cheap money and used in ethnic hair styling.

HT

squid.jpg.f2d122c6598ba27591accd45c5a2095e.jpg

crin.jpg.c09021987c653e2aecb8abf16f637dde.jpg

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Stopped by Capt. Ray Stachelek's tying booth at the Marlboro Show today.   Capt. just happened to be tying Squid-sicles and showed me some of the finer points of tying this fly.      I know have an original Squid-sicle of my very own to use as a pattern. 

Thank you Capt. Ray ! 

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT