northbeach

Striped Bass squid Flies

23 posts in this topic

Looking to pick up some squid patterns... I have a few HUGE ones and midsized ones, but looking for some smaller near-spawn type flies.  Any suggestions?

13 hours ago, 27conch said:

Maybe these work for you?

squids.jpg.1bbeb12ba73793bcad17e1893edb0aba.jpg

good looking squid flies.  how do they cast and sink?

I know a guy who fishes Squid flies a lot and crushes fish with them.  I was lucky when he actually sent me a couple that he tied and I don't believe that he will have a problem with my posting a picture of his go to pattern

The one thing I want to emphasize about squid flies and how many that are tied are actually tied with the wrong proportions. This is critical when tying a squid fly. Most are tied with proportions people think look good when in fact that should be tied opposite of the end product. Granted the ones that tied wrong will work but bass will eat some very strange stuff.

The flies tied by boatdrinks are a great example of proper proportions. I am sure they cast well and hammer fish and are designed in a matter that will allow a sink sink at any desired rate.

This is the shot of my friends Squid fly with proper proportions.

5b2a85aa5d1af_P1070320sol(2).JPG.b946756e8f8b1774e55b7076300d4d89.JPG

I believe the picture originally posted by 27conch is of Jonny King's kinky muddler squids if I'm not mistaken. Fantastic pattern, almost a style of tying, the kinky muddler is. 

Yes, they are Jonny King patterns..  Also, Bonefishdick is correct on the proportion of these flies.  Most tie them with a short body and super long tentacles, which if you look  at a real squid is the exact opposite.

Posted (edited)

a recent victim of the above squid fly,rod is 35" ring to butt,early AM,dead low in a harbor mouth

squid are drawn to lights at night and an outgoing to low from a well-lit harbor can be a virtual chum line

P1010187.JPG

Edited by slip n slide

2 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Success over time.

Squid-sicle.JPG

I found this exact fly, used on the Cape, early June, to be very successful. Pattern is available online on Capt. Castafly's google site. A nearby flyfisher, seeing that I was starting to catch stripers after tying on this fly, switched to the very same fly, and he began catching. The variegated color rabbit zonkers are pink/white. i was able to find mine on an online flyfishing site when my local shop didn't have these colors, but possibly your local fly shop will have the variegated colors of light pink/white, zonkers and XC zonkers to complete the tie of this really good fly. Bear's Den, as always, a great supplier of fine fly tying materials. No connections but always a satisfied customer. 

14 hours ago, Orca said:

Nice fish slip n slide !

thx! great fight too for a striper too,200' of line out and racing around between boat moorings!  best of several that morning,that pattern tends to keep small fish away...