HighEndHooker

AWD beach buggy

13 posts in this topic

Im sure this has been asked but I did a search and nothing came up. I’m getting rid of my ram 1500 for something more family friendly and better on gas, and while most of my fishing is either walk on or Jetties, there a few spots that I drive on and cruise the beach. Are AWD vehicles even capable of handling the beach? I’m sure it makes a difference between the full time and part time AWD right? (Full time being better)? And do a lot of these permits even cover AWD vehicles? Most of my beach driving is on IBSP and some LBI beaches in NJ, and a few on the south shore LI.

The devil is in the details on this one. Some AWD systems are fine on the beach. Some are not. The cognoscenti here are more up to date then I am ... tell you what. Try Searching here for specific brands, "Honda AWD," "Toyota AWD," and so on.  You might just scroll down a couple of pages and skim the thread titles that look interesting.

Do you have any specific model in mind?  And year? For example, older Honda Pilots are more capable off-rad then current ones (or so I read here.)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hooker, read some of the post's before this one. I personally like a real 4X4 system , 4 hi, 4 low. First AwD means you have it with FWD. 38 years in the auto business , and FWD even with AWD will get u stuck. AWD systems will work fine for a while but it's still a good strain on the engine, transaxle unit. You will have problems with it. Some people use them , are very lucky. AWD was added to FWD crossovers for the soccer mom's in there Mall crawlers. Great in snow but not so hot in the sand. stick with the real thing, All AWD , FWD cross over's are not SUV's. There modified car unibody sub frames. The Auto manufacturers had to get rid of a lot of real SUV's in there line up , V-6, V-8 4X4 rear wheel drive for the corperate gas miles for the E.P.A.. So they started selling the new crossover cars as S.U.V.s We in the business  are still laughing about this one.I thank god I'm retired Hope I didn't  bore you. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Hooker, read some of the post's before this one. I personally like a real 4X4 system , 4 hi, 4 low. First AwD means you have it with FWD. 38 years in the auto business , and FWD even with AWD will get u stuck. AWD systems will work fine for a while but it's still a good strain on the engine, transaxle unit. You will have problems with it. Some people use them , are very lucky. AWD was added to FWD crossovers for the soccer mom's in there Mall crawlers. Great in snow but not so hot in the sand. stick with the real thing, All AWD , FWD cross over's are not SUV's. There modified car unibody sub frames. The Auto manufacturers had to get rid of a lot of real SUV's in there line up , V-6, V-8 4X4 rear wheel drive for the corperate gas miles for the E.P.A.. So they started selling the new crossover cars as S.U.V.s We in the business  are still laughing about this one.I thank god I'm retired Hope I didn't  bore you. Tight lines.

Sounds spot on to me. Are you familiar with Subarus drive train, I've been led to believe its one of the few that actually is 4WD unlike almost all of the AWDs that actually don't engage another wheel until one slips? If it is, they have the gas mileage, clearance and reasonable cost factors in their corner. I think Subaru and Audi have the same drive train set-up. I'm up for correction cuz' I'm in way over my head.

I don't know to much about the Subie's AWD. I know they are great cars. They do have a tough AWD drive system on them. I do see them on the beach. I think some of them have about 8" of gc. Thing is ,there 4 banger's , I think you can get a v-6 . I don't like a 4 banger no matter how great the engine is. I do know when it's time to get work done on them , it's expensive . Look up there AWD system online. I like them as car's. But not for the beach for the long haul. When I travel to the beach, I want to be able to drive on under any sand condition's. AWD's on the beach from what iv'e seen you need pretty much perfect sand, No deep rut's, Audi on the beach your really asking for trouble. Plus my Jeep will be geared lower than a crossover built for mainly road driving. 

Subarus can handle the beach with aired down tires and common sense. I've got a year on mine without any problems. Just air down 15-20psi, turn off VDC, and go. And don't forget to enjoy 32mpg on the highway and about 26 on the beach!

Their biggest weakness isn't the AWD system or engine size.  The AWD system is well proven and they weigh around 1,000 pounds less than other 4WD trucks, which IMO, negates the need for a 6 cylinder engine. 

The one area you might feel lacking if coming from a truck is ground clearance. After tire squat and loading up, you'll have about 8.5" of clearance. Probably fine in most cases but might be a limiting factor if forced into deep ruts. I put a 1 inch lift on mine for $150 and am confident driving in the deeper ruts. 

There you go . I don't like FWD cars for the beach. But if I wanted one it would be a Subie. All the rest are not for the beach. I would go with a subie. No hundies, little 4 cyl Jeeps, No cross over , regardless what the sales man says' There junk or will turn into junk after awhile. Tight lines.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, hunter123 said:

I don't know to much about the Subie's AWD. I know they are great cars. They do have a tough AWD drive system on them. I do see them on the beach. I think some of them have about 8" of gc. Thing is ,there 4 banger's , I think you can get a v-6 . I don't like a 4 banger no matter how great the engine is. I do know when it's time to get work done on them , it's expensive . Look up there AWD system online. I like them as car's. But not for the beach for the long haul. When I travel to the beach, I want to be able to drive on under any sand condition's. AWD's on the beach from what iv'e seen you need pretty much perfect sand, No deep rut's, Audi on the beach your really asking for trouble. Plus my Jeep will be geared lower than a crossover built for mainly road driving. 

Subby 4's blow their head gaskets between 75k & 125k.  They keep farting around with the head gasket material & they are better than before but it still happens. The 6's are much better.  Big issue is ground clearance on the crossovers.

hunter123 likes this

We have a ‘17 Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar V6+6 spd manual in our Jeep fleet. It is surprisingly economical; much more so than the ‘98 Grand with 6 cyl and ‘07 Grand with the Hemi 5.7 V8. 15 around town and 22-24 highway. Pretty good for a real capable true 4x4. 

Subarus are great too, we have a ‘17 Forester. The issue with head gaskets is long ago solved, we had that 2x on our5a48236a5dd7b_SoreThumbbeach4-17.jpg2.thumb.jpg.4bd933253dcdaaade82f7e871ef76c93.jpg previous 98 Outback. 

Heres my 07 at Sore Thumb. Powers over everything with 330 hp and Quadradrive 2.

Edited by LouC
hunter123 likes this

On 6/15/2018 at 3:16 PM, HighEndHooker said:

Im sure this has been asked but I did a search and nothing came up. I’m getting rid of my ram 1500 for something more family friendly and better on gas, and while most of my fishing is either walk on or Jetties, there a few spots that I drive on and cruise the beach. Are AWD vehicles even capable of handling the beach? I’m sure it makes a difference between the full time and part time AWD right? (Full time being better)? And do a lot of these permits even cover AWD vehicles? Most of my beach driving is on IBSP and some LBI beaches in NJ, and a few on the south shore LI.

No AWD buggys are permitted on IBSP not certain about other NJ spots but not being allowed access on IBSP would disqualify AWD for me. Personally, if im doing any beach driving the AWD is not even in consideration when I can have guaranteed 4x4 vehicles. The juice isnt worth the squeez with the potential issues AWD could cause. 

hunter123 likes this

17 hours ago, jsbergen said:

No AWD buggys are permitted on IBSP not certain about other NJ spots but not being allowed access on IBSP would disqualify AWD for me. Personally, if im doing any beach driving the AWD is not even in consideration when I can have guaranteed 4x4 vehicles. The juice isnt worth the squeez with the potential issues AWD could cause. 

Reall cause I’ve seen plenty out there. Nowhere does it say that I see them all the time. 

Edited by Jim McFeeley