yarddog59

Bucktail Paint?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have been using powder paint for my bucktails. It seems ok but wears out on the bottom of my banana style jigs quickly. Any tips? I was wondering what others use for saltwater? Thanks

I am following the instructions, which is:  The lead bucktail is heated in the oven, it is dipped in the powder paint , then placed back in the oven. 

Sally Hansen hard as nails extreme has been good to me. Super cheap on sale and it holds up fine on my bucks. Colors are pretty varied, but it can be hard to get the really good greens or purples.

Posted (edited)

How long are you baking them for the cure after you dip them and at what temp

Edited by fishjunkie64
can't spell

On 6/15/2018 at 11:38 PM, yarddog59 said:

I am following the instructions, which is:  The lead bucktail is heated in the oven, it is dipped in the powder paint , then placed back in the oven. 

Be sure you're heating them up to the recommended temperature for at least the suggested time.  I usually go 25 degrees higher and 10 minutes longer to be sure.  The powder doesn't cure properly until the base metal it's coating heats up too.

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

Be sure you're heating them up to the recommended temperature for at least the suggested time.  I usually go 25 degrees higher and 10 minutes longer to be sure.  The powder doesn't cure properly until the base metal it's coating heats up too.

Dan,

Thank You!

Posted (edited)

I have not done it but reading this made me think about it. 

If you use hard less flexible paint it will hold up to scraping but the thermal change of the metal can make the paint start to crack and delaminate. If you use a more flexible paint it will not stress crack from the thermal but will come off easier when abraded. 

Has anyone tried plasti-dip on a lead head?

Edited by aae0130

On 6/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, mtbucket said:

My brother uses diamond clear coat for his tails, they survive being bounced off the jetty.

I have been using that as well for the last year. Stuff is pricey but its well worth it. I airbrush the Jigs apply eyes, Dip in first coat, Then tie the buck tail and dip for a second coat covering the wrap. The diamond finish dries fast and is rock hard.

Using an Airbrush allows for more details in the paint job.(To catch fisherman not fish) :)

20180928_101025.jpg

20180928_100159.jpg

20180928_100306.jpg

20180928_100726.jpg

20180928_100930.jpg

This is the KBS Diamond Clear Coat. You can get it on the major online site that sells stuff that will not be mentioned (Start with A and ends with n) :)

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

This stuff will go bad if exposed to air for a long period. I would suggest getting the pint size then transferring to a Pint mason jar. Then when finished dipping place several sandwich bags over the top and screw the mason lid on to make sure its air tight.

I have been vacuum sealing my container with the canister attachment for my sealer and its still good after over a year. This is another option just make sure you don't seal food again with that sealer. :)

Edited by mmanolis
Missing Info

I've done plasti-dip on jigs. Don't recommend it. It melts on hot days and ruins everything near it.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, Kima said:

I've done plasti-dip on jigs. Don't recommend it. It melts on hot days and ruins everything near it.

Thanks for the inside scoop. I was going to try that.....