foxfai

Climate Change Means Fish Are Moving Faster Than Fishing Rules

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

https://news.rutgers.edu/climate-change-means-fish-are-moving-faster-fishing-rules-rutgers-led-study-says/20180612#.WyK1qugvzrd

Climate change is forcing fish species to shift their habitats faster than the world’s system for allocating fish stocks, exacerbating international fisheries conflicts, according to a study led by a Rutgers University–New Brunswick researcher.

The study, published online in the journal Science today, showed for the first time that new fisheries are likely to appear in more than 70 countries all over the world as a result of climate change. History has shown that newly shared fisheries often spark conflict among nations.

Conflict leads to overfishing, which reduces the food, profit and employment fisheries can provide, and can also fracture international relations in other areas beyond fisheries. A future with lower greenhouse gas emissions, like the targets under the 2015 Paris climate agreement, would reduce the potential for conflict, the study says.

“Most people may not understand that the right to harvest particular species of fish is often decided by national and regional fisheries management bodies,” said Malin Pinsky, an assistant professor of ecology, evolution and natural resources in Rutgers–New Brunswick’s School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. “Those bodies have made the rules based on the notion that particular fish species live in particular waters and don’t move much. Well, they’re moving now because climate change is warming ocean temperatures.”

In a recent study, Pinsky and Rutgers postdoctoral associate James Morley reported that many commercially important fish species could move their ranges hundreds of miles northward in search of colder water. This movement has already begun, and the results have been highly disruptive for fisheries.

“Consider flounder, which have already shifted their range 250 miles farther north,” Pinsky said. “Federal fisheries rules have allocated many of those fish to fishers in North Carolina, and now they have to steam hundreds of extra miles to catch their flounder.”

Pinsky and his co-authors cite other examples of the disruption of fisheries causing international disputes, including the “mackerel war” between Iceland and the European Union (EU).
Under rules agreed to by EU member nations, fishers harvest a certain number of mackerel each year. But by 2007, those mackerel had begun to move to colder waters near Iceland, which is not an EU member. Iceland began fishing the sudden abundance of mackerel, but could not agree with the EU on sustainable fishing limits. The dispute became a trade war and is still ongoing. Lobster fishers from the United States and Canada have also come into conflict over the lobster fishery, which is also moving north from New England to the Canadian Maritime Provinces.

Given climate change, the movement of fish to new ranges is inevitable, but the conflicts over fish stocks are not, the study says. Governing bodies such as the one overseeing the EU’s fisheries might negotiate with neighboring fisheries organizations to take account of old fisheries moving out and new ones moving in. Pinsky and his co-authors suggest, for example, that governments might allow the trading of fishing permits or quotas across international boundaries.

“We need international agreements for the collaborative monitoring and sharing of fisheries as they move, much as the Antarctic conservation agreement has begun to do,” he said. The Antarctic management body known as CCAMLR cooperates closely with neighboring fisheries managers to share information about shared fisheries, including those that will continue to move.

The alternative to such agreements is grim, including overfishing and conflicts over fisheries that can spill over into international tensions over trade, borders and sovereignty.

“We have a chance to avoid conflict over fisheries that could escalate international tensions, threaten our food supply, and reduce profit and employment worldwide,” Pinsky said. “Avoiding fisheries conflicts and overfishing ultimately provides more fish, more food and more jobs for everyone.”

Study co-authors include researchers at the University of British Columbia, Utrecht University, Cardiff University, Stockholm University and James Cook University who are participating in the Nippon Foundation-University of British Columbia Nereus Program.

Maybe in this Forum you can talk about climate change without inducing furious indignation among the regulars, but don't bring this up in Political Graffiti.  The regulars there regard it as a Chinese hoax, and the reason glaciers are shrinking so fast is that Hillary Clinton flies around at night and sprinkles them with de-icer.

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

the reason glaciers are shrinking so fast is that Hillary Clinton flies around at night and sprinkles them with de-icer.

I’m still waiting for an explanation on why the glaciers that formed the Great Lakes melted thousands of years ago before fossil fuel was used as energy 

54 mins ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

I’m still waiting for an explanation on why the glaciers that formed the Great Lakes melted thousands of years ago before fossil fuel was used as energy 

Hush denier.

Shame on you!

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

I don’t deny the climate has been changing for thousands of years, I just deny my 8 cylinder is the reason for it :)

Bingo!

I live on the Pacific North Coast and can't tell you how bad the Fukushima scare tactics were. They worked on me until I went out and spent $600 on a radiation detector. Over the past 7 years I find more radiation in the slate stonework at the house than I do at the beach or in the fish. 

Edited by Skkeeter

I have been doing some research and I have a different take on what is causing these things. We all know that there is some information out there about vaccines causing our gay and transgendered population growth. With the current water treatment policies, the chemicals and drugs in the sewage (from humans) is getting into the water. The fish that are exposed to this water are turning gay and transgender. The spawning males (unaffected by the chemicals) are showing up to spawn, but finding the females angry and uninterested so they leave quickly. 

I can prove all of this......so just ask me and I will send you the references. 

Edited by aae0130

1 hour ago, aae0130 said:

I have been doing some research and I have a different take on what is causing these things. We all know that there is some information out there about vaccines causing our gay and transgendered population growth. With the current water treatment policies, the chemicals and drugs in the sewage (from humans) is getting into the water. The fish that are exposed to this water are turning gay and transgender. The spawning males (unaffected by the chemicals) are showing up to spawn, but finding the females angry and uninterested so they leave quickly. 

Please, go on

Yes i would love for you to elaborate on this lol. I hope that was a joke? I have a completely different theory on the vaccines and I have proof as well but, it certainly isn’t linked to the water and fish. 

Edited by MikebDE29

Lol always suprised by the amount of conspiracy theorists and self proclaimed scientists on this board. 

When i started in this sport / hobby i imagined most surfcasters / fisherman as scientifically literate and advocates of clean environment and pro climate change. Instead we get quotes about V8s being a ok for the environment. Even if a clean environment is a government agenda (good lord...imagine!) why wouldn’t you be a proponent? Am i the only one that doesn’t want filth in the air and water....and if your V8 is so great why dont you suck on that tail pipe for a while and prove us wrong? (Not a personal attack just seeing the statement as ludicrous)

Must be something in the water or in the night creepers indeed. 

11 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Finally a voice of reason.

9 hours ago, SurfNY said:

Lol always suprised by the amount of conspiracy theorists and self proclaimed scientists on this board. 

When i started in this sport / hobby i imagined most surfcasters / fisherman as scientifically literate and advocates of clean environment and pro climate change. Instead we get quotes about V8s being a ok for the environment. Even if a clean environment is a government agenda (good lord...imagine!) why wouldn’t you be a proponent? Am i the only one that doesn’t want filth in the air and water....and if your V8 is so great why dont you suck on that tail pipe for a while and prove us wrong? (Not a personal attack just seeing the statement as ludicrous)

Must be something in the water or in the night creepers indeed. 

I agree we are a totally self absorbed and wasteful society, I read yesterday that we created one billion pieces of recyclable material a year, of which one percent is recycled. Not even mentioning noise and light pollution, vaccines are the governments answer to taking our money and killing us at the same time. We are doomed.     

Isn't it great that scientists are all such altruistic saints that they aren't subject to the same motivations, needs and desires as the rest of us? I think that's neat-o.

12 hours ago, aae0130 said:

They make under-sink reverse osmosis water filters that take all of that garbage completely out. The last stage filter is so small that literally only water molecules can pass through. They filter out bacteria and even hormones. They cost about $200 and the water tastes great because they add minerals back into the water after filtration. Too bad there's no affordable whole-house option.