Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
19trax95

Mono backing, or just leader?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I have been doing a ton of reading in preparation for my trip to obx in july. Probably too much reading haha.  Anyway, here's my questions. A quick back ground to maybe help your answer. 

So I'm bringing 3 rod setups. The first is a 12 foot rod with a penn battle 2 8000 series. Second is a 8 foot with a 6000 series reel, and the final setup is a 7 foot with a 4000 series reel. 

My 12 foot setup is going to be my 8nbait rig. My goal is to hook into a shark with this setup. So I want to cater the line to that line of thinking.  I was thinking braid for this setup. My reel does have the super line spool. But I've always used a wrap of electrical tape anyway on my other reels I've used braid on. 

So should I switch up what I normally do and go with a mono backing?  Or just go all braid and a mono shock leader?  And then how long should my shock leader be, and of what test line?  I was thinking of going with 30lb test fireline or suffix 832.  

My other two rods will be getting big game 20lb mono. Since as I understand it goes against the etiquette down there to fish braid around others, and there is a chance that the smaller 2 rods will be used in closer proximity to other guys.  

Thanks for any tips and your shared experiences.  I look forward to the replies.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’d put a wrap of electrical tape and then go strait to 50lb braid.... why not fish the 4000 with 20lb braid .  You will add to your casting distance and sensitivity. And a lot of capacity

Edited by GreenMachine

4 mins ago, GreenMachine said:

I’d put a wrap of electrical tape and then go strait to 50lb braid.... why not fish the 4000 with 20lb braid .  You will add to your casting distance and sensitivity. And a lot of capacity

I heard of the electrical tape, but never tried it...  does it work well?  

I currently use small amount of mono backing and fit about 350 yards of 30lbs test braid on my VS 200.  Never use a shock leader.  Just your typical 4 foot leader of 50-60lb mono tied to barrel swivel.

I would, but I've heard it is in poor taste to fish in some areas with braid such as the pier and a few other more populous spots due to it cutting off other guys line of tou hook into somthing and it runs your line across theirs.

It's not the type of line.  It's the type of fishing.  Guys on a pier, for instance, are 90% of the time bottom fishing with bait.  If someone steps up and tries to plug, it ruins it for everyone and tangles galore.

Personally...  Plugging pole = braid   Baitrunning = mono. 

Before you fish somewhere there are other guys fishing, you'd be best served by watching and asking questions.  Most fishermen willingly will tell you what you need and how to fish the area you are at.

Edited by Klaim147

All braid with a wrap of electrical tape for good measure on the big rig. I don't shark fish but if I did I would want a lot of  line and a line as heavy as practical. 50 to me is the lightest I would go. The 8K Battle holds a lot of line maybe 65lb braid can give you a little edge at the cost of a few less yards. Tough call on that.

20lb mono on the 6K sized reel would work for close to medium range fishing with bait. If you are lure fishing with his setup, I would either go braid or lighter mono like 15. 20lb on the 4k reel is a death sentence. Too heavy and would serve no purpose that I could think of. If you are bent on mono for the 4k reel 8, 10 or 12 would probably be best depending on the rod, lures or bait you want to use. I don't buy into your etiquette theory regarding braid. Common sense, politeness, and giving people a little room is what counts. What you use is your business. I will say that the fact you are thinking of others makes your and OK guy in my book! Good luck on your trip!

Yeah that's just what I read.  It was mainly on the point that guys said they discourage using braid.  I am just trying to get a feel for what guys normally use down there since it the majority of guys use somthing, there is likely somthing to it.  

I will definitely look into using braid on the 4000 too as well as stepping up to a 50lb or higher test for the 8000 setup 

Edited by 19trax95

Only reason to use mono backing is to fill space on the spool, like if your reel holds 600 yards and you only need or feel like buying 300 yards.  Athletic tape prevents slippage just fine, especially if you tie off the braid then wrap the tape over it, winding both on to the spool together so the tape is locking down the braid for 4 or 5 turns.

I was planning on buying a 1200 yard spool of braid. So I'll have plenty to fill the spool. I gave my friend another setup like my 12 foot setup so I'll be spooling his with whatever I go with.   

I think the battle 2 says it will hold somewhere around 390 yards of 65lb braid and 475 yards of 50lb. 

18 mins ago, 19trax95 said:

I was planning on buying a 1200 yard spool of braid. So I'll have plenty to fill the spool. I gave my friend another setup like my 12 foot setup so I'll be spooling his with whatever I go with.   

I think the battle 2 says it will hold somewhere around 390 yards of 65lb braid and 475 yards of 50lb. 

For bait either or.... I just like 50 for my reels. 65 is good if your sharking too 

So i just got back from cabelas with some line. I ended up going with the following 

Suffix 832 50lb test braid for 12' setup

Fireline 14lb test braid for 7' setup

Suffix 20lb test mono for 8' setup 

They had power pro on sale but from what I've read, the suffix 832 seems to be preferred by a good amount of guys to the power pro.  

The fireline I've used before and I know I like that.  I'm going to get to spoiling a little later.